Several small meals versus 3 "big" meals?

Options
So, I've learned from here and other places that you should try and have lots of small meals during the day rather than 3 "big" meals.

I'm finding this hard to do. I wake up and I make sure I eat breakfast and honestly I'm not hungry again until lunch, so then I eat lunch and I'm not hungry again until dinner. A few hours after dinner, I eat a snack..

So, I guess my question is, is this okay? Is there something I could do to help? From what I've read, it helps your metabolism by eating several small meals.

Advice is appreciated.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Several smaller meals does not enchance/boost/whatever metabolism.
    So people find it helps them not over eat, some don't.
    It really is a matter of personal preference. It will not hinder your weight loss either way.

It is one of those myths that just won't go away.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I agree; no problem with 3 meals a day.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter AT ALL!

In fact, if you want to not eat all day and have a huge meal once per day, have at it!

As long as you keep within your calorie limitations, have a decent macro-nutrient ratio (protein/fat/carbs), and a good number of essential micro-nutrients (this is best achieved through eating a diet *mostly* made up of natural foods) then that is really all you need to worry about.

For many people, a smaller window of eating is more in line with their natural hunger patterns and is much more sustainable long term. Just stick to the points I mentioned above and do what works best for you!
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree with 3dogsrunning. I actually feel more satisfied and am less likely to overeat if I have 3 nice sized meals vs several tiny ones. The only exception is when I eat maintenance calories, and that's just because I don't want to eat that much all at one time so I spread them out.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    eat when you are hungry...if you are eating healthfully three times a day plus a snack then that is what works for you...

i eat meals for lunch and dinner...breakfast is broken up over two meals as pre-workout and post-workout and i sometimes have an afternoon or after dinner snack...

do what works for you...everyone is different...
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.:happy:
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    3 meals, 5 meals, 6 meals... it makes no difference with the metabolism. It's all going to process the same way. It really depends on the day how I do things. Some days I have 3 meals, some 4, some 6. Do what works for you! :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I eat all day long. I have friends who eat only 1 meal. Some friends do intermittent fasting. Some friends do 6 equal meals a day.

The point of all that? Do what works for you. Meal timing and size is about personal preference only.
  • tjwoodman
    Options
    I've read it shouldn't make much of a difference, but I've personally had better results eating more frequently (6-8 times a day)
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I like 4 possibly 5 small meals. To me it's just a mental thing andi feel better and fuller if I'm constantly eating. I always think "calm down you can eat again in like 2 hours" that way I don't freak out and eat an entire cake. Lol
  • minsooky
    Options
    It's actually a myth that eating frequently raises your metabolism. In fact, nearly all studies done on it shows it has no significant impact on your metabolism. Eat the way that fits you and your lifestyle the best.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is the real research

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

"We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study."
  • beautifuldiskize
    Options
    I'm so glad that I asked!

Thank you guys for enlightening me :)
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    you have to find what works for you.. for me i lost a ton of weight eating six times a day. i ate whether i was hungry or not and if you eat healthy and stick to your exercise and water plan then you typically do not get in starving mode. if three times a day and a snack works for you then dont fret ..if you are losing weight and such then it shouldnt be a problem
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. Period. As long as it's within my daily calories, I really don't care when/where/how large those meals are.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals and haven't had a problem so far, I think the eating frequently info is more of a myth. Personally I couldn't face eating 5 or 6 times a day, but everyone is different, so just do what works for you :smile:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've read it shouldn't make much of a difference, but I've personally had better results eating more frequently (6-8 times a day)
    Better results as in....
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I get hungry more often so I eat 6 small meals a day. If I don't I end up getting too hungry. :smile: