Question! Runners/Joggers/Walkers

Options
Today was my first day walking in >50 degree weather...and I thought I had a decent outfit on...but I froze the entire time I was outside. I know the whole "layers" thing...but I'm still not quite sure on what to wear.

What do you wear when it starts getting colder? Leggings and shorts? Sweats?

Replies

• victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Anyone?? :(
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Compression leggings/tops.
    They help keep your body heat in.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For me, running tights are a must for winter. I got over how I looked in them because they are so worth it.

The rest, I just wear thin layers. Usually a wicking layer and a warm layer or two. And my regular running jacket to keep the wind/rain/snow off.

A hat and gloves.

You should be cool starting out. If you are warm before you run, you'll get too warm running.
  • rachf2013
    Options
    Yea, I wear long leggings. And then long sleeve under armor type shirt with a sweater over. That way if you get hot, you can take off the sweater and tie it around your waist so it wont get in the way.
    If your moving fast enough, your legs shouldn't get too cold.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Mmkay... Thank you. I'll look into getting them.
    Do I have to go to an actual fitness/running shop or whatever it's called to buy these? Or are they available anywhere?
  • kaylabullard794
    Options
    I know they're a bit pricy but the Nike Pro Thermal long sleeve shirts or Under Armour ColdGear. You can feel the soft insulation and keeps the heat inside the shirt. I have one of the Nike shirts and I love it. Both of those lines make bottoms for the cold as well. You can get these at any Sports Authority.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Do I have to go to an actual fitness/running shop or whatever it's called to buy these? Or are they available anywhere?

You can buy them at any athletic store. Or you can go to specially stores. My winter ones are Lululemon and I love them. Expensive but I have work them more than enough to justify the expense.
    I have a lighter pair from MEC (not sure if that is in the US) and find them really reasonably priced. You can order online.
  • jayhawkfan51
    jayhawkfan51 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Check out UnderArmour. They have sub zero compression type clothing. Im always cold and I have found these to really help. Be prepared however as they are pricey. Mine were $75 each piece
    If you have a Cabela's near you, they carry them in store.
  • cherikasalzmann
    Options
    The say to dress as though it is about 15 degrees warmer outside than it actually is - I just read that in a Shape Magazine yesterday!
  • sr_maggie
    sr_maggie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know they're a bit pricy but the Nike Pro Thermal long sleeve shirts or Under Armour ColdGear. You can feel the soft insulation and keeps the heat inside the shirt. I have one of the Nike shirts and I love it. Both of those lines make bottoms for the cold as well. You can get these at any Sports Authority.

this is what I use as well (the Under Armour are my fav). :) I like to refer to them as my "ninja pants". Having the right gear makes it more enjoyable, the more enjoyable, the more you do it!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Target has a line called C9 - they have fleece (very thin) lined leggings and mock turtlenecks. They also have reflective hats, gloves, and headbands. It's somewhat comparable to Under Amrour ColdGear at about half the price.

Right now, it's 25-35 degrees when I run and I wear the lined leggings, compression shirt, dri-weave shirt on top of that and a pair of shorts over the leggings. When it gets colder, I'll probably add a second pair of leggings and maybe a fleece half-zip jacket.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I got mine at Kohls. :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Compression gear can be got at most places. I get the cheapy stuff at Target myself, works a treat.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Here's what has been working for me, but you may just have to experiment because everyone's tolerance for cold is a little different. Good luck!

Following a suggestion I saw on MFP, I aim to dress the way I would if I weren't running at 20 degrees warmer than the temp when I go out to run. It seems to be working pretty well, even tho now it can be in the 30s when I go out in the morning. I do expect to be a little cold for the first bit. I find that pieces with full front zippers are good - you can adjust how bundled you are without actually having to take off a layer. It also depends a lot on whether it's windy. I have 2 fleece vests - one with wind block and one without - that I find can add just enough without getting me as warm as in a jacket. (And they have pockets for the tissues - my nose always runs a lot in the cold!) Another thing I often do is wear a light hat or even just a fleece earwarmer - makes much more difference to your entire body than you'd expect, and if you get toasty and want to take it off it's easy to stuff in a pocket or wrap around your wrist. When it's cold enough for my running jacket it has a close-fitting hood, so I can start with that up and just push it back when I warm up.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Walking you need to dress warmer.

For running you will crack a sweat once you get a a couple miles in (usually takes me 1.5 miles to get warm).
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I wear shorts with a thermal top and a hoodie. I also make sure that I wear a thermal hat and gloves. I am fine as long as it does not drop below zero, then my legs will be cold for a little while.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I LOVE under armour's cold weather gear, perfect for under 50 degrees. I also love arm warmers since they're easy to get off if I do get too hot. If you walk, dress warmer, if you run, dress like it's 20 degrees warmer (it really works, I promise!)
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I LOVE under armour's cold weather gear, perfect for under 50 degrees. I also love arm warmers since they're easy to get off if I do get too hot. If you walk, dress warmer, if you run, dress like it's 20 degrees warmer (it really works, I promise!)

That is the brand that I use and I love it. Works great.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Under Armour is orgasmic!