Four year old daughter, 75lbs

Options

Replies

• The picture loads OK. She is gorgeous. But perhaps it would be better to remove it now. It would be pretty mortifying if in a few years she found out her mum had been posting "fat" pictures of her on the internet.

Sorry, not attacking you, you are to be commended for seeking help for her.

A ballet class? Gym? She will build muscle. Karate? Usually five is considered a good age to start martial arts.
  • cararickel
    cararickel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For her height, your daughter doesn't look very overweight. If anything, her height is what is going to single her out among her peers next year. However, being active is a reward in and of itself and will get her in the habit early so that she'll learn to enjoy it. A great way to burn calories and get strong legs and core is a trampoline! No kid will ever think of it as exercise, and 30 minutes of jumping around would be good for her (and you--join her!) Another great exercise is swimming--I was a pudgy kid before I joined a swim team and quickly slimmed down to a string bean within a few months. Swimming is a full body workout and competitive swimming is a wonderful sport since it is based on individual achievement. No waiting to be picked for a team, no one to moan if you miss a shot, just you and the pool. If you better your time--VICTORY! :) Best of luck to you and your family.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one surprised people are calling her a good mom and shes doing the right thing when her child is almost twice the weight of a normal child? A 4 year old does not have the ability to get that overweight by themselves, its totally on the parents. I'm sorry if I am coming off harsh but you really need to consult with someone like a dietitian because your not making the right choices for her. 1600 calories for a 4 year old??? To me that seems high but I dont know.
    This is not going to work unless you get your act together too. If your eating twinkies and McDonalds then shes going to want it too. Figure it out because this is sooo wrong.
    It's much more commendable than some parents who let their children continue to get bigger and bigger, just because they're too afraid to lay down the law.
    You know, people come on here with 200+ 12 year olds. She's trying to be proactive now, and so good for her.

I agree. She is trying! She is helper her girl make healthier choices and be active. And is very very cautious and caring in her approach. What a GREAT mom!

Not everyone is perfect. I was chubby from 5th grade until i graduated and I would not call my mom a bad mom because of it.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one surprised people are calling her a good mom and shes doing the right thing when her child is almost twice the weight of a normal child? A 4 year old does not have the ability to get that overweight by themselves, its totally on the parents. I'm sorry if I am coming off harsh but you really need to consult with someone like a dietitian because your not making the right choices for her. 1600 calories for a 4 year old??? To me that seems high but I dont know.
    This is not going to work unless you get your act together too. If your eating twinkies and McDonalds then shes going to want it too. Figure it out because this is sooo wrong.
    It's much more commendable than some parents who let their children continue to get bigger and bigger, just because they're too afraid to lay down the law.
    You know, people come on here with 200+ 12 year olds. She's trying to be proactive now, and so good for her.

Thankyou...I was just going to ignore the above poster. I know that I'm not cramming her with mcdonalds OR eating it in front of her. I don't eat ANY fast food in fact, and she gets a happy meal once a month MAYBE. I have ALWAYS tried to curb snacking and fee her well rounded meals, except for when I was on strict bedrest and it was all up to Daddy to prepare her meals and snacks.

I'm not perfect, nobody is, and I know that I am the reason she is overweight. I own that and I'm fixing it, so just mind your own business if you have nothing helpful to add. This is a site for SUPPORT not to be attacked for reaching out for help.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that you need to see her pediatrician. And 1600 is an appropriate amount for an ADULT WOMAN, not a 4 year old child. My daughter is 5, and rarely eats over 1000 calories in a day. Maybe a nutritionist can help too. But I think you are doing a great job as a mother by not discussing weight and body image in her presence, but make sure she knows the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods.
    I had no idea..i just figured her metabolism was probably faster so she should eat more..I really do need a nutrionists advice. I will call tomorrow

Make sure you see a registered dietician who works with children, not just some "nutritionist." Nutritionists usually have no certification or formal training to do what they do.

Good luck to you! I think it's great that you're taking care of her heath and wellness now instead of letting it slide. I would also avoid teaching her that some foods are "bad." Just work on teaching her about moderation and portion control and encourage her to be active as much as possible. I'd also avoid teaching her about calories just yet also. Let the focus be on healthy (mentally and physically) eating habits and physical activity. Plus, you can take her out for walks together, etc. It can be good for you too.
  • theWinchester
    theWinchester Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try not to scar her, you don't want her to develop a eating disorder later in life, it is a sensitive age.
    Children have faster metabolisms then adults, if she is eating clean (no soda, bad jucies etc ) and if she is doing child things, "playing" she should lose it naturally.

Also when I was younger I gained a lot of weight right before a growth spurt, then I lost the weight.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I know for me, my diet wasn't the best, and my kids would eat what I would eat, so I agree with you on that. Then 2 years ago I started to try and get healthy, but then the grandparents (DH's parents) would take my little one to golden corral every time she would visit them. After I told them she needed to start eating healthier because her weight was getting out of control, but they ignored my request to feed her healthy options, and I have unfortunately had to limit her time over there. But I do agree that it is us as parents responsibility to manage our children's weight; and I'm glad that the OP realizes that she needs to do something about it now, before it's too out of control.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    My 5 year old daughter is also overweight. She is 73lbs and about 46" tall. She has been 74lbs for about a year, and has recently lost a pound. Her doctor told me that she should be consuming between 1,000-1,200 calories/day, and getting at least 20 minutes of moderate activity/day, like running, jumping, active playing, dancing etc. I was told to cut back the milk to about 8-12oz./day and give her 1% or skim. Also, limit juice to 4-6 oz/day, and can cut it with water. I got rid of the junk food, and have offered her healthier options. She loves fruits, broccoli, raw carrots and celery with dip. I only do whole grains for the kids now too, and encourage them to drink plenty of water. The doctor told me to focus on maintaining her weight and as she grows taller, she will grow into it, so that's what I'm doing. She's pretty much maintained her current weight for a year and has gotten taller, so far so good. Good luck to you.

THANKYOU! So our daughters are similar in size. I give her two 8 oz skim milks a day, and no juice, all water otherwise she would want juice ALL day lol She loves it. I give it to her when she is sick of course because she doesn't eat well with a sore throat. I appreciate the advice, and good luck to you also!
  • aimforpeace
    aimforpeace Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Thankyou...I was just going to ignore the above poster. I know that I'm not cramming her with mcdonalds OR eating it in front of her. I don't eat ANY fast food in fact, and she gets a happy meal once a month MAYBE. I have ALWAYS tried to curb snacking and fee her well rounded meals, except for when I was on strict bedrest and it was all up to Daddy to prepare her meals and snacks.

I'm not perfect, nobody is, and I know that I am the reason she is overweight. I own that and I'm fixing it, so just mind your own business if you have nothing helpful to add. This is a site for SUPPORT not to be attacked for reaching out for help.

Well Said!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I would consult her pediatician asap. Maybe even get a referral to a dietician who works specifically with young kids. But good for you for being proactive with her health.

^^^ This. Get the opinion of a professional.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    no tv and get involved in activities ..in my area there is a ton of things for kids to do including gyms for kids .. what would be even better is joining a Y.. my brother and is wife do that and they bring their son . he is being raised to move it
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Talk to her doctor without her present--of course. I wouldn't recommend taking her to a nutritionist or making her aware of a "problem" that doesn't have to be a "problem" at all. You're taking all the necessary actions and I commend you!
  • TheMisses22
    TheMisses22 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 and a half year old as well but he is slender and only about 45 lbs. After a quick web search I found a guide for calorie intake for children that age:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_nutrition-guidelines-for-young-children_64359.bc

I would agree that a nutritionist would be a good step with and without your daughter present. I would also try and get her as active as possible. There are lots of things you can do without going anywhere via car:

- Running races with her in the backyard
    - obstacle course (my sons favorite)
    - walking around the neighborhood
    - a small trampoline
    - wii games
    - riding a bike or tricycle (pedaling is actually a developmental milestone she should be practicing)
    - jumping rope

Your daughter will follow your lead. My son always wants to do my 30 day shred DVD with me as well as lift weights when he sees me doing it. Even just doing jumping jacks would be fun for her.

Some other things to consider is my lowering the fat content of your milk. After the age of 2 children don't need to be on full fat milk. 1% or 2% should be fine. Limit juice intake. (We do 3/4 of a sippy cup with water and maybe 2 tablespoons juice mixed)
    Only offer snacks after a healthy choice has been made. My kids can't have animal crackers for example as their treat until they have had a healthy snack first like fruit or greek yogurt etc.

It is great that your recognizing the issue now and not making a big deal of it with her. Body issues are really easy to obtain but really hard to get rid of. Best of luck to you and your daughter
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I don't agree with the dietitian/nutritionist ...who knows what kind of scarring that might do. I like your stealthy ways!
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a healthy eating guide put out by the Australian government. It's pretty child friendly because instead of calorie counting it just looks at portions of different food groups (p10-11).

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/n31.pdf
  • nedde
    nedde Posts: 27
    Options
    Kids are all different! I'm, 5ft10, my partner is 6ft, and our son who just turned 3 is already 41inches and 39pounds! He's on the 95th centile weight and on 100th with height. Which makes him look quite skinny tbf!
    Then my partners daughter from previous marriage just turned 8, and she's 47 inches and 50 lbs! That's way shorter and smaller than any kid her age, but then again her mum is very short.
    And what is the funny part of the story is that my son run's around all day and eats close to nothing while his half sister eats like a horse and watches tv all day long.

I think it's great you're trying to manage your daughters weight before it becomes problematic, just keep a healthy mind to it and don't freak out over it as nowadays even kids as young as 4 are found to suffer from eating disorders.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    All I have to add is I commend your approach to the problem. Genuinely, I think it's great how you're dealing with this.
  • coastie_wife07
    Options
    My 5 yr old weighes 50lbs
    She is tall, not sure the inchs though

She does A LOT of activities
    M,W,F she does Yfit which is a free childrens program with the local YMCA they run around, play games and have no idea that they are doing cardio
    On Thursday she does zumba for kids which she LOVES
  • Hungrygirl88
    Options
    My son is 19 months old and he's 30lbs...he wears a 2t -3t ....the doctor has never said anything about his weight
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    I really dont want her to have a CLUE that I'm doing anything that has anything to do with weight. I do however explain that chips and cookies arent healthy for "her insides". Other than that, I don't want her to be worrying about these things, its my problem, not hers. I will have the doctor set up a meeting with a nutritionist for me to discuss this, but I agree that she shouldnt be present.

Thanks again for all the helpful links, advice and information. I feel like we're on the right track after reading all of this...but I want to be sure, so I will see a professional.