almond milk question...

Options
what are the befits of unsweetened almond milk, say, over regular skim milk?

Replies

• anissasellers
    Options
    I use soy or almond milk because they both have a lot less calories than skim milk
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I use it for mixing shakes and oatmeal etc. for adding less calories and sodium, otherwise, if it fits my macros, I use milk.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so it has that benefit for me and it has no phytoestrogens like soy does.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1/2 the calories.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use it because unsweetened almond milk only has 30 calories per cup. It's pretty bland, but in cereal/oatmeal I can't tell the difference.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i dont drink milk ..tried soy and got sick from it really bad. if i have to have it for cereal then ill make it with protein powder and cold water
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I mix it with protein powder in a smoothie. Its a lot less calories then regular skim milk.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's delicious.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so I drink almond milk. It tastes better than soy milk, which is why I prefer it. I don't care about the whole estrogen soy thing or whatever, simply because I don't drink enough of it.

If you're drinking almond milk, make sure you check the labels. Many brands don't add calcium. Almond milk also has a significantly lower protein content. Depending on the brand, sometimes, nutritionally speaking, it's just milk-flavoured water.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so it has that benefit for me and it has no phytoestrogens like soy does.

Exactly
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has less sugar and calories ;)
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Less calories. Yep!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

That is my reason, too.

Plus, I personally just dislike the taste of milk. Then I became a vegetarian and realized I was lactose intolerant, too.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love the unsweetened almond milk...it's only 30 cals a cup. One of my kids asked "How do they get milk out of almonds?" I said they squeeze the little almond teats.
  • soobie
    soobie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks who said: delicious, low calorie, and no photo-estrogens. I was way too heavy on soy and then started with the almond milk. I prefer it. It is so good in smoothies, I mix it with protein powder and avocado and it is a creamy power-packed shake.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Fewer calories, tastes yummy, great nutrition, tastes yummy...oh, it stays in the fridge longer than regular milk, and it tastes yummy.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I use soy or almond milk because they both have a lot less calories than skim milk

Interesting - I actually checked at the supermarket last week and the almond milk I bought had exactly the same cals as skim milk.
    It's the second brand I've tried and they are both pretty nasty - I've decided to stick to skim milk.

I think it's useful if you don't like the taste of milk or have an intolerance or don't want to drink it for ethical reasons - other than that, I can't think of a good reason to drink almond milk.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen this one yet... it has a LOT more calcium.
  • artist_of_life2003
    Options
    I personally have tried both the Silk Almond Milk and the Silk Soy Light....I prefer the Soy. I used to drink nothing but skim, but thought I would try the Soy. I love it, and honestly at my age...the Soy helps me. I don't mind that the calories are 60 per cup. I feel like I am drinking something sinful when I have a glass. To me...it is that GOOD!! ( The almond milk isn't bad...just that I prefer the Soy).
  • 140shorty
    Options
    I saw a documentary called "Forks Over Knives" which cited a study that linked milk consumption to all sorts of bad things (caused by animal protein components plus all the hormones in the milk from making cows lactate constantly), including breast cancer and childhood diseases, so I tried rice milk as an alternative first (kind of pasty and sweet, but lots of excess sugar calories), but then discovered unsweetened Silk vanilla almond milk. Not only is it genetically modified organism (GMO) free, but it appears that the vanilla in it may also kill harmful helper bacteria associated with things like cervical and colon cancer (Seriously! Read more about it here: http://nutritionfacts.org/questions/is-vanilla-sweetened-almond-milk-healthy/), and is only 30 calories per cup with twice the calcium of cow's milk. I've been drinking it for about two months and really like it.