Paleo Autoimmune Protocol... anyone?

Looking for friends who are eating a Paleo AIP (autoimmune protocol) 'diet'. I would love to find others that I'll be able to relate to once I get going with my journey into it.

Anyone out there?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Yes, I do.
  • Hi, I'm looking at going in that direction with my diet. I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, and I'm having a hell of a time dealing with my eczema as well. I won't be progressing on to the diet for a few months yet though, as I'm going overseas soon and I figure it will be easier to start once I'm home.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    im more keto - basically paleo without carbs
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    im more keto - basically paleo without carbs

I totally understand. That's sort of what I have been doing. I'm looking to change things in the very near future because of my medical issues.
  • Chadomaniac
    what medical condition do you have?
  • hausofnichele
    Hi, I'm looking at going in that direction with my diet. I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, and I'm having a hell of a time dealing with my eczema as well. I won't be progressing on to the diet for a few months yet though, as I'm going overseas soon and I figure it will be easier to start once I'm home.

I'll send you a request. I am not doing it yet either -- taking time to mentally prepare, learn as much as possible and budget before I dive in and get going. It will be in the next month or two :)
  • I'll send you a request. I am not doing it yet either -- taking time to mentally prepare, learn as much as possible and budget before I dive in and get going. It will be in the next month or two :)

Cheers. Yes, mental preparation is important. I went gluten free about 6 months ago... the hardest part was the social aspect. I'm eating it again at the moment due to a gluten challenge before having tests done, and I figure it'll be easier to just eat it while I'm overseas. The lifestyle change, too, at home is a big thing to get used to. I love cooking and preparing food, but I didn't realise it would be so often. :)
  • hausofnichele
    what medical condition do you have?

It's a laundry list of stuff. Several mental health (Post-Traumatic Stress, major anxiety, Borderline Personality), PCOS, Pre-diabetic (type II), osteoarthritis, bursitis, fibromyalgia.. I have some sort of autoimmune condition that has yet to be determined. I spent all last year going to doctor after doctor, doing tests, etc. It was very exhausting. I'll never forget when my doctor, confused and not sure what was wrong with me, looked at me and asked if I had ever been tested for HIV. That really frightened me! I saw a cancer doctor to have tons of bloodwork looked at and he was not helpful or nice. I have all the symptoms of RA and many of Lupus. Have been tested 3 times but because I never tested positive for the ANA test no conclusions were made. I spent about 8 months last year testing for Cushings Disease (which fits me 100%) but after doing all my insurance would cover and no real definitive answer, I basically gave up on it and tried to focus on losing weight despite my troubles. I also have herniated discs in my low back and some undetermined digestive issues. My thyroid is also a bit underactive. Not currently on medication for that but today I just realized that I am taking 20 pills per day.

It was a real eye-opener to actually count and do the math even though I have been on this awful regimen for a year and 8 months now. 20 pills a day, 140 a week, 600 a month, 7,300 per year. :frown:

I turn 26 in a few days and I refuse to spend the second half of my 20's the way the first was spent: being sick and miserable. I'm beyond fed up and over this "life". Going to make this change - even if it's a bit radical for most - and I hope that it helps.
  • Chadomaniac
    well u cant make keto a life style in my opinion , low carbs yes ( under 100grams a day) ... u have to also *kitten* how u cope without carbs or on very low carbs ... basically through trial and error u will find what works for u, keto as a lifestyle is a no no in my opinion
  • hausofnichele
    Cheers. Yes, mental preparation is important. I went gluten free about 6 months ago... the hardest part was the social aspect. I'm eating it again at the moment due to a gluten challenge before having tests done, and I figure it'll be easier to just eat it while I'm overseas. The lifestyle change, too, at home is a big thing to get used to. I love cooking and preparing food, but I didn't realise it would be so often. :)

Absolutely understand where you're coming from. I also love cooking and preparing food. It's difficult to get into the swing of it but once I do I find that it becomes fun and easy to do. I learned a whole lot from cooking breakfasts the night before and freezing or having meals ready to be reheated the following day or whenever. It can get draining at times but it is so worth it to have meals ready to grab :)
  • hausofnichele
    well u cant make keto a life style in my opinion , low carbs yes ( under 100grams a day) ... u have to also *kitten* how u cope without carbs or on very low carbs ... basically through trial and error u will find what works for u, keto as a lifestyle is a no no in my opinion

I did 100 per day for a while... then 50 for a while... and then my most recent was about < 30 per day (I needed to try and rapidly lose for my mom's wedding). I felt good at 50. It was a very noticeable difference for me in terms of how I felt overall and my mood was pretty amazing. After the wedding a couple weeks ago I came down with some sort of cold that is still being stubborn. So of course I've gained some back since I've been eating really crappy. I'm doing all my researching and prepping for the Paleo AIP though so I suppose it's not all bad.
  • Absolutely understand where you're coming from. I also love cooking and preparing food. It's difficult to get into the swing of it but once I do I find that it becomes fun and easy to do. I learned a whole lot from cooking breakfasts the night before and freezing or having meals ready to be reheated the following day or whenever. It can get draining at times but it is so worth it to have meals ready to grab :)

Truth be told I can be a little lazy sometimes too. Getting home from work any time between 6-7PM and I'm usually too mentally tired to cook. My freezer also isn't very big, but I worked around that last time by buying fresh food a few times a week instead of one big weekly grocery shop.

I noted the long list of medical issues you are dealing with. Sorry to hear that. It is interesting though, I have similar issues myself, I've been tested for so many conditions. Luckily for me the latest doctor nailed it was Coeliac Disease and life has been pretty great ever since. I hope the Paleo diet helps you out. :)
  • Chadomaniac
    50g-100g is a decent range on low carbs .. anything lower u start to feel weak and tired
  • hausofnichele
    Anyone else?
  • hausofnichele
    Still searching for others :) Anybody?
  • I've been thinking about it but am worried about all the options I WON'T have. Like seriously, what are we supposed to eat for breakfast? I cannot and will not shove meat in my face multiple times daily. I like meat but that much of it makes me sick. I am honestly debating IF AIP.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Post this in the paleo/primal group. I know there are a people on AIP.

Mel from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com blogged about her 30 days on whole30+AIP
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/02/autoimmune-protocol-experiment/
  • hausofnichele
    Thank you for letting me know about the Paleo group! I read Mel's post a few days ago. She is awesome.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    I just started eating Paleo today, but not an autoimmune protocol. I'm following the blood sugar control meal plan from Practical Paleo. Not logging my food, but feek free to add me!
  • hello, i am not exactly on the Paleo diet. but am gluten free due to celiac disease. i do not do many grains as a result because most gluten free grains are high in starch and little nutritional value. i do bake with almond flour. but still do corn but that is about it.