Rest Days

Options
How many rest days a week do you usually take? Do you ever take additional rest days, and if so, what is your criteria for doing so?

I normally exercise 6 days a week - 3 days I walk 10-20 min on the treadmill and spend about 20 min lifting weights (combination of heavy dumbbells and weight machines at my gym). The other 3 days I either run on the treadmill or elliptical, about 30-35 minutes. Lately, I feel exhausted and sometimes struggle to get through my workouts and I haven't been able to increase weight for a few weeks. I've been taking, some weeks, an additional rest day mid-week.

I guess I'm asking - how do YOU decide you need the rest instead of pushing through the workout?

Replies

• jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. 3 are cardio & 3 are sculpting/resistance days. It sounds like you might need to try a new routine to keep things fresh. That is what I did.
  • samir316
    samir316 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy ( > 65% of my 1 rep max), 4 days a week.

My off days, I do Yoga or stretching or take walks.

I try to be active every day but obviously take it easy on non-lifting days.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Could be over training, could be not enough sleep, could be not eating enough protein to build muscle strength so you can progress, it might sound counter intuitive but if having a really hard time pushing through, take a half or a full week recovery period to give your body time to build itself back up then jump back on the wagon, of that doesn't help maybe up your protein intake.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I lift three days a week (70min or more) and do intervals on the elliptical three days a week (with added light lifting), then I take Sunday off.

How many calories are you eating a day? If it's too few, you might just be running your body down. Personally, I haven't had to take and extra rest day on a long time, and the last one was forced on me by my gym being closed.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I rest on saturdays. I do cardio 3 times a week and toning/pilates workouts three times a week.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I lift three days a week (70min or more) and do intervals on the elliptical three days a week (with added light lifting), then I take Sunday off.

How many calories are you eating a day? If it's too few, you might just be running your body down. Personally, I haven't had to take and extra rest day on a long time, and the last one was forced on me by my gym being closed.

I've been averaging around 1500 the last 10 days or so (net) though I'm actually set to 1640. Some days I go over 200 or so, some days under. And, the net number may be a little higher since I 'm never certain how many calories I burned per workout.

However, I went back and looked at my protein (as the poster above you suggested) and it has been on the low side. Maybe I will try eating a little more and making it protein :wink: and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks to everyone who replied. :flowerforyou:
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I bet if you up your calories, you will have more energy. It worked for me.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I train in many various ways...some days are more intense than others, but I usually take 2 rest days per week. If I find that I hit a wall two days in a row....I re-evaluate the situation and usually take 2 rest days in the row. Its certainly something you can play around with. The only thing I would recommend is not taking more than 3 days off in a row unless you are ill.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I always take at least one day off each week (I run 3 days a week, and do strength/weights with a little cardio the other 3), but recently when I was feeling the way you described in your starting post, I decided to take more time off. I would have gone for a whole week, but had a color run on the weekend, so took four days off. It was wonderful! I came back feeling refreshed, rested and strong, and just picked up where I left off - the time off didn't leave me feeling like I was starting over or anything like that.

As far as food, as others said, make sure you're getting enough protein, and I always make sure I'm at least netting my BMR.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    along side of that protein, also look at your good fats intake. i went through a bout of energy drain, and found that I had gone too overboard on the low fat and removed all the good fats as well.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i still work out rest days, body weight stuff, no cardio though, unless im in my kayak or cyclying. those are my rest days love them, im addicted to moving and working out

and eating ALOT of food, bacon rapped in cheese. yum
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do something 6 days a week...I rest on Mondays...The gym was usually packed with people trying to un-do what they did during the weekend on Monday, so i stopped going mondays. I think I might feel more energetic going b ack to work if I perhaps just did 30 minutes of cardio.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to focus on protein and healthy fats today and go ahead and take a rest day today (usually Saturdays are my rest days) and see if my Friday workout improves.