Stress Under-eating?!

Options
This is absurd. Does anyone have any advice for how to overcome under eating? I used to be annorexic (way back in high-school), and I don't want this stress response to push me back to that. The problem is that I literally just don't even think about food, or get ANY hunger feelings, when my body gets this way I can go for a day or more without realizing I haven't eaten anything. Any advice?
And no "I wish I had that problem" thoughts! -grumpy, lack of energy, and random passing out go hand in hand with this... that's what I am trying to avoid.

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I can't relate.

But what about setting yourself an alarm to eat at least 3 times a day? Just about all digital watches and most phones have alarm settings on them nowadays.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You'll have to eat. If you don't stop under-eating, your leptin levels will continue to decrease making it more difficult over time.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've seen photos on pinterest of people drawing lines and times on water bottles to make sure they get enough water intake - maybe you can do that with protein shakes or something? Like, make lines on a bottle for every hour and make sure you've drank at least that much by that time.

Edit: like this!
    http://evewaspartiallyright.blogspot.ca/2012/05/crazy-smart-water-bottle-trick.html
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    That's exactly what I do myself. If I'm upset/stressed, I just have no appetite. I don't want to eat and it's nearly impossible for me. But the best advice I can give is just eat small portions of something, anything. Give your body some fuel. My fiance, a huge health guru, begs me to eat. Even just an apple. It won't make you feel sick, and your body will get it's energy source
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Im the same way. It really helps if you eat at the same time each day. for example i'll beat breakfast at 6am, am snack at 9am, lunch at 1230, dinner at 5 and pm snack at 7pm. set an alarm too, so this will help you keep on schedulei hope this helps.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This is why I love mfp because it's a reminder to force myself to eat and drink water. If I were you I would try to stick to eating things with lots of calories in a small serving like peanut butter.
  • ElyseKMorris
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses :) I am going to give them all a try and see which works the best.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It's good that you've recognized that stress is your trigger for under-eating. Do you have people you can eat with? I have relatives who never feel hungry for whatever reason. They eat "because it's time to eat," i.e. because everyone else is eating.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The under-eating is just a symptom of stress so I would suggest you seek out help with dealing with stress? Perhaps a group, yoga, meditation, counselling etc. If you fear it may trigger your ED again, it would be wise to get it sorted before it gets to that point.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This is why I love mfp because it's a reminder to force myself to eat and drink water. If I were you I would try to stick to eating things with lots of calories in a small serving like peanut butter.

This. I plan what I'm going to eat early in the day, and stick with my goals.

If I "wait til I'm hungry" to eat, I can easily forget to eat all day if I'm particularly busy or stressed. So I schedule my meals and snacks and stick with my schedule.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ironically enough, I find that I have been swinging over into this behavior as I have lost weight...my "stress responses" have been moving more and more from overeating and oversleeping to under-eating and under-sleeping. What I have been doing, and others here have said as well, is trying to find other things to help deal with stress. A healthy diet and weight loss/gain/whatever you are trying to do does not automatically fix any underlying issues that a person may have. There is ALWAYS work to be done internally. Set an alarm on your phone for times when you NEED to eat, and find some things that you enjoy that can calm you down and help you stay focused on the now...

Good luck!! *(*(*hugs*)*)*
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    This happened to me after I had a fire in which my daughters and I almost died. I actually gained weight from NOT eating and stress. I don't know how to overcome it. I used to try and make myself eat but I'd get so sick and sometimes even throw up. It worked itself out on its own though. Good luck! It's tough, harder than eating too much IMO.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    the alarm idea is a good one!
    or make sure you have someone to eat with... when i get stuck into stuff art, tidying, anything really, loose track of time and skip meals, it happened when i was writing essays at uni, my housemates would meet me for lunch, and i cooked for my boyfriend so i had to prepare food.
    If you have to make something for someone else or meet someone you have the time allotted for eating then you just have to make youself have a bit of something :)
    x(not sure i made much sense :S)
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    I have a friend with this problem... I just bring extra salad to work everyday and make her a big beautiful salad and make her join me at lunch... I don't think shes currently eating any other meal but I can sleep at night knowing I got her to eat at least once.

Hope the stress calms down soon, you feel better and get your appetite back!
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time because I don't feel hungry or full. What I am training myself to do is eat 1 teacup of food and 12ounces of water every 2-3 hours, no exceptions. If it doesn't fit in the teacup don't eat it. You could fill your teacup with cream puffs or ez cheese if you really wanted but you shouldn't because it will make your tummy hurt. Remember to stop eating 3 hours before bed time and set an alarm in your phone to beep every 2.5 hours if you have trouble losing track of time.

good luck
  • thejess
    thejess Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i definitely under-eat while stressed out along with sleep deprivation it really sucks. I deal with it by eating small things as much as possible like even spoons of peanut butter no matter how long it takes me to finish it. That and smoothies loaded with veggies and protein make taking in the food much easier.

hope you've found some balance :)