Pickles - a freebie food?

Options
Although they seem to be generally high in sodium, are pickles a freebie food at all that it's ok to splurge on? Well, maybe not SPLURGE, but can eat without feeling to guilty?

I feel a little bad. I just ate FIVE of them. Not whole ones, but the spears! The ones I bought say 0 calories, it's the sodium that is high. I feel bad about that part already ( guilt tripping already...) but I am tryign to tell myself at least I ate that instead of a big bowl of ice cream or a big bowl of chips! Ugh.

Anyone know how good or back pickles are for your diet?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you like them - eat them. Just be aware that while 1 serving may be labelled as 0 calories, that doesn't mean a whole jar full has 0 cals - it's a marketing/labelling loophole in the US (doesn't work in Australia because they have to show the cals for 100g (or ml) of any food as well as 1 serving).

Having said that, they are pretty low in cals, so if you like the taste and aren't bothered by the sodium - go for it!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    No, too much sodium can lead to water retention, bloating, increases blood pressure which can lead to diabetes, need I go on? Everything in moderation is the key.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    save the pickle brine and marinate chicken in it. I have some on the grill right now. :)
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The brine is also good for hangovers.
  • babickler
    Options
    I always keep a jar or two of pickles on hand. I love them and will often have a couple if i find myself craving a snack. I will also munch on a couple while fixing dinner. I find if I snack on pickles while cooking it keeps me from taking higher calorie tastes of dinner.
  • nmonty21
    nmonty21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The brine is also good for hangovers.

Really!? Why am I just finding out about this.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just ate 2 pickle spears to curb my salt craving I was having. The US has a loophole that they don't have to put calories on the container because they are low calories. However, from what I have found, your average full pickle has about 10 calories. After 5, I'd probably count it as 10 calories--- but that certainly isn't going to screw up your counts. Don't eat a jar or anything because of the amount of sodium, but for a snack or to curb cravings- eat. enjoy.
  • ctbloom
    Options
    Generally, I never eat pickles. Nothin against them but I don't. If your tossin them on somethin, feel free to use e'm but don't overdo it. if potasium levels = sodium levels, your body would be working optimally but if you over-do one or the other, you could get adverse effects. I'd just say to be careful.
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice is also good for cramps and electrolytes. They sell small bottles of pickle juice like Gatorade.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and don't do it every day. I would log maybe 2 calories for every 3 spears or something. No food is free!
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and don't do it every day. I would log maybe 2 calories for every 3 spears or something. No food is free!

Amen to that!