What to eat before and after exercices?

Options
Hi there you all,

what should we eat or drink before and after exercises?

This is my routine:

Mondays and Thursdays I do weights for upper and 30 minutes of aerobics

Tuesdays and Fridays I do strenght trainining for lower limbs and 30 minutes of aerobics

Wednesdays I do 75 minutes of aerobics

Sundays, when it´s not raining, I ride my bike for about 50-60 KMs (I guess it´s about 30 - 38 miles)

Saturdays I just rest

I often have a fruit (eg: apple, papaya...) before and whole eat bread sandwich (with turkey and cheese) after exercises

Any clues?

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    it sounds right ... what are your goals ?
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to do it backwards, in my opinion. I prefer to ate more carbs before cos that gives energy better than sugar in fruits. Carbs are the number one energy source after all. It lasts longer while sugar, and that small amount of carbs, in fruits just gives energy spike at beginning and at end of workout there is nothing left. So I personally feel weaker at end than if I would ate a whole wheat sandwich or something and have less energy. After workout I usually ate some fruits... and some more carbs.

But everybody's different, maybe it works for you. There isn't really the best way how to ate. Just make sure you don't work out at very full stomach so you don't get cramps and other things are not that important.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you feel good doing what you're doing then keep doing it. If I work out in the morning I don't eat anything before. If I work out later in the day I try to have not eaten at least a couple hours before. After I lift weights I like to have a protein shake because I'm usually starving and it holds me over until I can get real food. After I run I'm not always hungry so I wait to eat until later.
  • rocraz
    rocraz Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi there Chadomaniac, my goal right now is muscle hypertrophy. My weight is ok, I guess: I am 1,68 m high (5'6") and my weight is 69 kg (152 pounds).

Sjohnny, although I feel OK, I am not sure this is the best for muscle hypertrophy.

Ainar, what kind of carbs do you get?

Thank you all guys
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    before... carbs and protein.

after... carbs and protein.

around equal amounts... atleast this is what i do.