Newbie. Overweight Vegeterian.

Options
Howdy!

I'm a 28 year old female in Canada who is mostly-vegan. When I first went vegan, I dropped 80 lb over the course of the year - but I think a big part of that was that I walked everywhere, sometimes even spending two hours a day just walking places.

Now I am quite sedentary, and have gained back all of the weight.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, and when my bloodwork came back, my fasting glucose was borderline high (5.6 mmol/l) and my fasting insulin was high (100 pmol/l).

I know I need to stop eating crap and start moving around more, but it's easier said than done. I love my sugary comfort foods, and I fear walking around in my high-crime neighbourhood. I get high levels of anxiety going to the gym or to yoga classes; I get so embarrassed when I am the only one who is clearly out of shape, huffing and puffing, turning red, shaking and struggling to do things that other people seem to be doing effortlessly.

I've read some of the vegan/vegetarian diet books but none of them really appeal to me. Skinny *****, if you remove the verbally abusive part, just seems so DIFFICULT - no wine? no coffee? No caffeine at all? The Dean Ornish diet didn't seem any better if I recall, it was so low fat that even nuts and avocado are off limits. I think MacDougall was similar if I am remembering correctly.

Blah. Someone encourage me. Please? :)

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    All of us have some apprehension when going to the gym. 50 or so pounds ago, i was soooo embarassed by my weight, I went to the gym at 3:30AM.. to avoid being seen by people that I thought were going to point and laugh at me. It didn't happen, I had nothing to fear. I still go to the gym at 3:30AM, because I enjoy the peace at that time, and because I don't feel like going after work (I have a long commute).

It's been 14/15 months of hard work, and some people ask me what my "secret" is, and how I lost weight "so fast"...lol...I guess it's easy for them when I'm the one getting up at 3:25AM.

I concentrate more on building muscles now, and I look nothing like most of the meatheads lifting weights (but I hope to!). Sometimes I look at the other guys big muscles, and my developing arms, and I feel a little self conscious, but not enough to deter me from going to the gym.

I do a lot of cardio at the gym, because I am afraid of getting hit by a car if I walk on the streets.

Try to work up to using the gym more. No one is there to judge you...there will always be someone heavier, lighter, stronger, weaker, etc. than you.

Take small steps...try the eliptical machine for 5 minutes...I love it, it burns a lot of calories...I couldn't stand on it on the lowest setting for 10 minutes last year, and today i use it for an hour at a time.

Good luck, and stay committed, and you will see the results you want.

Tommorrow is back/ biceps/traps/foreams day for me...one of my favorite days!
  • groggrog
    Options
    I would just start with trying to track your calories of what you are currently eating, then try to reduce it some 5-15% a day, and see how that goes for a few weeks. Eating less is the biggest bang for the buck, so to speak.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow overweight vegetarian,

I totally get what you're saying with the yoga class fear; I love yoga but I feel enormously huge and unstable around other people. In the past I've rented yoga videos or looked up poses online to practice just to get my chops back. I've never been as committed to attending classes as I have been to individual workouts. Classes are kind of intimidating for me because I never really know what to expect. Once I tried an "intermediate" aerobics class at a time when I was in considerably better shape than I am now and I honestly feared for my life. I dunno how some of those people do it. Anyway, I'd encourage you to start (in the privacy of your home) with some basic videos to boost your confidence, then venture to the gym for classes or whatever you fancy.
  • beyondliving4ne1
    Options
    Hello,
    I have gone up and down with my weight too. I used to get discouraged at the gym but when I go I don't care anymore. I am there just like everyone else: to get in shape. And most of them were overweight once before too. So they aren't there to judge you. And the ones who do are losers.
    I would just take baby steps. If you normally sit and watch tv for an hour, cut that in half and walk around the block or dance in your room if you are afraid to go out in your 'hood. You don't have to be great at dancing, just move with the music. If you are angry or frustrated, punch a pillow or the air like Tae Bo. It feels so good! Those are things I am starting to do to get back into moving my sore, heavy body. I used to have lots of muscle but lately, it's going away.
    You can also use free weights to add resistance to walking or exercises.
    You will have a lot of different ideas so just chose what you like and what you can do.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • megannxx
    megannxx Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm vegetarian (5 1/2 years), and happen to be overweight and have been on this current weight loss journey since beginning of June. In that time I have lost 45lbs and 20 inches (since July 24th) I have between 65-85lbs to go. I've cut down on what I eat and changed what I eat, and have worked out more, (I mainly started off with walking a lot.). I love being in the comfort of my own home doing workouts, but I also enjoy going to the gym as well.

The important thing is to stick to it, take it slow and dont expect to drop all the weight in a short amount of time.
    One man I have on my MFP always say I WILL NEVER QUIT! I will never give up!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am a vegetarian as well. I have spent the last 7 months retooling my diet so it does not feel like a diet and I have lost a lot of weight. I work out 10 hrs a week and am at the point where I am working to build and sculpt. I started out being out of shape but have learned that the body is a machine. You just have to treat it right. Good luck and know that you CAN do it. You have an advantage being a vegetarian...just learn how to eat and it becomes so easy to trim down. Good luck :-)
  • rinnismom
    Options
    my fellow veggie,

i'm not vegan. i enjoy my coffee (with real milk and sugar). i LOVE comfort food. breads makes me want to jizz on myself. pastas are something that i can devour, too. i know what you're battling.

i took a yoga class in college and i loved it! i was out of shape but i didn't give a hoot, i got in there and learned and listened to my body and let the stress of the world float out of my being.

i also had a gym course i took and i really enjoyed it but i disliked the feeling it gave me. i've never had a gym membership. i don't know what it's like to deal with that sort of situation. see, i have anxiety, badly. to put myself in situations that will make my anxiety rise and, in turn, make me sensitive means that i'll be fighting. that's my defense mechanism: to fight. so, to avoid charges, i try to stay at home.

i got a free weight machine on craigslist, put a few dollars worth of weight plates from wal-mart, and i have my own weight machine.

i bought a treadmill off of facebook swapshop for $100 and i use the woot-woot out of that thing.

i guess what i'm getting at is that you can do all you need to at home. i've gotten some killer deals on workout tapes.

or

you could just be like me when i'm not anxious and just say, "fudge it", and move along with what you want to do. give a hard glare to anyone eye-flucking you and crack your knuckles. lol
  • Kejlina
    Kejlina Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies :) I'll definitely try to get started with some at-home yoga! Once I work up to that maybe I will brave the gym again...
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Also mostly vegan here, I eat dairy a couple of times a week and an egg every month or so. And yeah, it's almost all cleaning up the diet. Personally, I was in a lot of denial on the "but I eat pretty well!" diet, but once I started tracking it was easier to see what I was doing and get it under control.

I don't use a book or a system or anything - I just keep my macros at 40% carb, 30% fat & 30% protein. And most of my carbs come from beans, vegetables, & fruit - I try to stay away from refined sugars. The thing about that is that once you start doing it, you stop wanting them so much, so it's easier to stay away from them. I love Isa Moskowitz's books, although most of her recipes fit a much higher carb profile, so I tweak, but they're a really great place to start with the whole food cooking thing.

Don't fear the gym! You don't know anyone else's story - if people only went to the gym once they were already fit, nobody would need gyms, everyone would just keep doing whatever got them fit in the first place. Everyone started somewhere and most people remember that. Not that they're paying any attention to you anyway, 'cause they're pretty much all there to do their own workouts and not bother about yours. I highly recommend picking up the heaviest things you can. Pick them up often enough and then you can take care of anyone who tries to claim you don't belong in the fun part of the gym. :wink:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Keep track of your calories and your carbs. Carbs are the real killer. Try to go for nutrition - get away from the refined flours as much as possible. But, I don't believe in eliminating anything you like or want completely. This isn't a punishment - it should be a learning journey where you discover what you need to eat to be healthy and strong. Sometimes, a cookie is a beautiful thing. And, nuts are fabulous especially if you need a little extra protein and a bunch of calories.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was an overweight vegetarian too. I went vegan in January 2011, but not for health reasons, and I did a pretty bad job of practicing healthy veganism for a long time. Two big things have helped me recently:

1) Focusing on the healthy food I can eat, not the unhealthy food I don't. Initially I just replaced pizza with vegan pizza, cake with vegan cake, etc. to keep from feeling deprived. Now I try to eat more fruits and veggies, and I've discovered chickpeas and beans as a source of protein, instead of just processed foods. While I still have Daiya cheese or a yummy vegan cupcake every once in a while, I've tried to focus my diet on nonprocessed foods more and to cook more frequently. It's cheaper and healthier.

2) Biking! I love biking because it's both exercise and a way to just get somewhere. I get bored with the gym and frustrated with classes, and I kinda have the attention span of a goldfish. But working biking into my day has done wonders for keeping me moving without making me groan every time I realize it's time to exercise. Plus, after a nice ride, I crave junk food way less, and I actually hydrate. If you don't have a bike, I hear you can get them off Craigslist pretty cheaply these days. But if biking's not your thing, find some form of exercise that makes you happy and do it more. It really, really helps. (I also know a lot of people who have success with DVD workouts, and you can get many -- like 30 Day Shred -- on Amazon Instant Video to save a trip to the store, and to be able to access them anywhere you go.)

Good luck! Feel free to friend me. :)
  • Leassa
    Options
    Hi, i am a vegetarian too, but i do eat chicken/turkey and fish. I hate tofu..lol. I have been vegetarian off and on most of my life, i have never found a good cook book. I love to watch cooking shows [Best Recipes ever and Michael Smith are favs] They do make many great dishes. I love nuts and avocado's, don't tell me i can't eat it! every thing in moderation. Some little tricks i use is to brush my teeth after i eat, that way i am less likely to snack. tea, i drink allot of it, mostly green tea. Beans are another thing i eat often. Six bean salad is a cheap meal, i get the no-name brand and i can get 3-4 meals out of a can. I add veggies and a bit of feta [my treat], and of course nuts, like sunflowers or pumpkin seeds. do you have a Wii? it is a great thing to get like a home gym. I do Wii runs and Zumba. Also try Pilates, it is easier than yoga and just as effective. I dropped 70lbs doing pilates at home and snow-shoeing around my yard.

Add me as a friend if you want maybe i can help you! Good Luck and don't give up!!
  • VeggieLoven
    Options
    yay there are other vegeterians! im knew too i had lost over 20 pounds after going veggie but somehow in college ive gained it back and then some
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and I think it is irrelevant. Try to eat healthily most of the time, eat smaller portions. If you have a treat, make it small. I eat salad, soups, fruit, nuts, Greek yoghurt with protein powder, eggs, treats in moderation. I eat clean most of the time, but I drink heaps of black coffee, coke zero. I also started running. There was more to it, but that is what started me off and my ticket tells my story. Good luck!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hi, you don't need to do anything drastic like the Ornish program (for reversing heart disease). What you need is a general cook book that encompases basic information about food, how to choose it, prepare it, cook it, serve it.

Start out with eliminating some of the processed foods you now use. Go for whole fresh foods that are generally on the periphery of the supermarkets. Many of my trips to the market never include even on aisle in the middle of the store.

You say you are mostly vegan. But I'll bet there are lots of vegetables you've never tried and know nothing about. So make it your job to investigate them, choose just one and experiment. Then another the next week.

Log all your food. Use the food tracker as an educational tool. You'll see where your calories and nutrients are coming from and can work towards a better balance.

As for exercise, There is no reason to believe you must go to the gym. Lots can be done right in your own living room. So take some of the ideas posted here and do some experimenting until you find something you like and can do consistently.

Just like the rest of us, there is no big secret, Eat a little less and move a little more. Keep your attitude flexible and positive. If you make an error, put it behind you and move forward from where you are...at any time of day you have the choice to do better.

Good luck.