eat or to not eat the calorie goal?

Options
im very comfused as to what to do with the calorie goal they give you. are you sapposed to eat 1200 calories or try to eat below the goal. basicaly is the goal number the maximum or minimum of calories i need to eat

Replies

• cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    you are supposed to stay just under the goal, however they recommended 1200 for me and i am losing weight at 1700 or more, so you have to test it to see what works for you. Also, if you exercise and add that to your diary, your daily calorie allowance goes up.

In other words, they start pretty much everyone off at 1200 cals but if you are still really hungry at this number, try 1400 to see if that is better for you.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Reach your goal. Do not eat less than 1200 calories per day.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    I think the goal is to be close to the goal -- maybe a little high one day, a little low the next. Then, you can adjust the goal once you see what happens.

Some people do it the other way -- just track food for a week or two, to see what they ate eating now, then tweak their diet starting from there.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,024 Member
    Options
    eat close to the goal I try to stay right under it but I dont stress if I am over by 50 cals one day because usually the next day I am under by 50 , but experiment and see what works best for you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You eat your calorie goal PLUS the amount you get for extra fuel for the exercise you do. Eat the amount where it says "Your Daily Goal". This is your calorie amount plus fuel for the exercise you logged (if any).
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Some people can lose weight on 2,000 calories per day. Some can gain weight on 1,200 calories per day. There are no magic numbers.

But usually, for weight loss, it's considered best to lose about a pound a week (on average). So usually, the idea is to start with something that much lower than what you were eating before. It generally is a change but not an extreme change.

Some people really do have slow metabolisms and may need to eat less than 1,200 calories a day to lose weight. ( http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/weight-loss-diet.htm ) Checking with a doctor is good -- well, for everyone, really -- because a really slow metabolism may mean something is wrong.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My goal is set at the calories to maintain my goal weight at sedentary or light activity. I don't worry so much if I'm above or below on a day to day basis, but rather am shooting for a weekly average.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 1200, then it's a minimum. With any other number goal you are probably okay going a little over or under, but 1200 is the MINIMUM required to adequately nourish your body. Go to www.fat2fitradio.com and do the calculations for your specific measurements.
  • VeggieLoven
    Options
    Some people can lose weight on 2,000 calories per day. Some can gain weight on 1,200 calories per day. There are no magic numbers.

But usually, for weight loss, it's considered best to lose about a pound a week (on average). So usually, the idea is to start with something that much lower than what you were eating before. It generally is a change but not an extreme change.

Some people really do have slow metabolisms and may need to eat less than 1,200 calories a day to lose weight. ( http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/weight-loss-diet.htm ) Checking with a doctor is good -- well, for everyone, really -- because a really slow metabolism may mean something is wrong.
    acturaly i do have hypothyroidism meaning my thuroid does not work at all so i have an extremly slow matabilizm but some people tell me that because of that eating more calories will speed it up but to lose weight i should eat less calories then most people with a normal matabalizm right?
  • isitsororo
    Options
    My goal is 1200 cal per day, I have consistently been consuming under that goal. I hope to stay under the goal but not by a huge amount, and don't mind a few small over days in the mix.