butt and theighs! HELP!

its_B
its_B Posts: 491
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, i do squats, i run, i bike, i do lunges.. please for those of you who have lost INCHES on your lower body, and have nice toned butts and theighs, tell me, WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!?!?! I have had big theighs and a big booty my whole life. Although i don;t mind the latter as much, I would really like to shrink and tone my theighs and firm my butt. What else can i do? Or are there variations to the previously listed activities that show greater results?

Thanks!
B

Replies

• annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I think changing it up is the best thing you can do. If you bike, try running (or walking at an incline) to shake up your body. Do different kinds of lunges - lift heavier weights. I didn't used to bike and I started spinning in Dec and that has helped my muffin top a lot.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Cardio, specifically running and elliptical machines, will definitely help in this department! Good Luck!
  • Those are my major problem areas too! I've started doing those dead weight leg lift exercises and cycling classes & they have helped - I've lost an inch off my upper leg in 2 wks of doing them. So I guess that's a good sign. That's about all the help I can be - sorry. I hope some others have some good pointers. Good luck to you and keep up the hard work!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I'm having issues with that too. My upper body looks great, I wouldn't change a thing, but my thighs and lower belly are a problem for me. I've recently started training for a 5 k run so I hope all the running will help. I think I'm also going to try Pilates a few times a week (I've heard it does work). Sorry I don't know the answer, I'm hoping to find it myself.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I use the Jillian Michael's DVDs (30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones). Since starting and alternating between them, I've not only noticed my arms and legs getting toned, but also a reduction in my hips, waist and butt - so has my husband! :wink:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Well I've fallen out of the habit and gained the inches back, but for a while I was doing really well and got into a size 6 and I attribute it all to Spinning. See if there are classes in your area or if you live somewhere thats already nice and warm out, get a bike and go hit some trails. But remember- hills and speed work are key, as nice a flat road bike rides are they dont do a lot for firming. Good luck :)
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Cardio! Overall weightloss is the best thing - there is no magical way to target excess fat in one area of your body and make it disappear. You lose all over. Don't believe the propaganda in womens' magazines about "toning" one area. Improving your muscle tone in your butt and thighs is a good idea, but it won't be visible until you lose some more weight. The good news is, but focusing on the muscles in that area, you're making the biggest muscles in your body demand more fuel, which means you will increase your overall metabolism, making that weight easier to lose. Bottom line: don't get discouraged by what you see, focus on what you feel instead.
  • its_B
    its_B Posts: 491
    Great advice thanks so much! I am training for a 5k as well kward, and I do zumba, I just started doing cycling, and i do lots of squats and lunges, facts are ive been at it for a while and havent noticed to much change in those areas, i am seeing weight loss, just no inches there, loosing them in my upper body and neck, just not there...

I think i might get the Shred, my problem is i am never home! haha
    THANKS SO MUCH!

PLEASE KEEP THE ADVICE COMING!!! I AM BEGGING I HAVE TO BE IN A BATHING SUIT IN FRONT A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT PEOPLE STARTING IN MAY THROUGH AUGUST!!! SO HELP!

(and thanks again to everyone who has posted!!!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    I have the same problem , I don't need to loose much more up top. I think it has to do with weight also. Also I have been working on my shoulders and chest, making me look slimer than I am. I took a fitness pic of me today and i wasn't all that happy. Just keep up the good work.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    I did the shred and it did help a lot .
  • I agree with what the other said, but you don't have to do heavier weights. You can do less weight just more reps. If you have the time to workout everyday you can work on different parts of the body (arms-Mon,legs-Tues, etc.). I do all part of my body and aerobics, but more reps than heavier weights. Ive gone down from a 42 to a 32 in about a year. It also takes eating less and the right foods. Keep it up. Hec
  • I agree with what the other said, but you don't have to do heavier weights. You can do less weight just more reps. If you have the time to workout everyday you can work on different parts of the body (arms-Mon,legs-Tues, etc.). I do all part of my body and aerobics, but more reps than heavier weights. Ive gone down from a 42 to a 32 in about a year. It also takes eating less and the right foods. Keep it up. Hec
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    The problem with doing more reps instead of heavier weights is that you train your muscles to have high endurance, but their strength level stays the same. That doesn't really accomplish anything. Don't be afraid of "bulking up" because for the vast majority of women, their testosterone levels are too low to allow for bulky muscles.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Cardio! Overall weightloss is the best thing - there is no magical way to target excess fat in one area of your body and make it disappear. You lose all over. Don't believe the propaganda in womens' magazines about "toning" one area. Improving your muscle tone in your butt and thighs is a good idea, but it won't be visible until you lose some more weight. The good news is, but focusing on the muscles in that area, you're making the biggest muscles in your body demand more fuel, which means you will increase your overall metabolism, making that weight easier to lose. Bottom line: don't get discouraged by what you see, focus on what you feel instead.

This bears repeating... excellent post.
This discussion has been closed.