Vegan Diet for Beginners

Options
Hello MFP'ers!

Over the course of the rest of the year my family will be transitioning into a full fledged Vegan diet beginning in January 2013. While I'm certain that this subject has likely been covered before on the forum, and I apologize for the repeat; I need some advice.

What I am looking for is favorite recipes, resources and tips on how to get started on the road to full fledged Veganism. I'm in information gathering mode and the more I can learn, the better!

While my reasons behind this decision are personal, (if you'd like to discuss this more, feel free to PM me) I'd love to hear from other Vegans out there about their journey also!

Would also love to connect with some of you Vegan MFP'ers as friends so that we can share with one another and support each other in our individual fitness journies! Feel free to add me should you feel compelled to do so!

And thanks in advance for any advice, tips, recipes and resources that you might be able to refer me to!

Be well,
Charlotte

27783872.png

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Www.veg.ca is a great resource. They even have a week challenge where each say they send you tips on how to maintain a healthy vegan diet.

ETA - I am not vegan. Just wanted to increase my plant based meals. I did do the challenge though. Just to try.
  • SneakyNeiky
    Options
    hey im a vegetarian for the past 7 year.. allso wanting to go vegan, would love some help to :)
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    hey im a vegetarian for the past 7 year.. allso wanting to go vegan, would love some help to :)

whats the difference between vegetarian and vegan?
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I am not vegan, but I follow this vegan blog (for healthy recipes and ideas) and the woman who runs it makes some amaaaazing vegan dishes. Take a look at some of the recipes and even browse though the pages (if she doesn't provide recipes with a lot of the pictures, it might still give you some ideas, too. :)

http://garden-of-vegan.tumblr.com/
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

whats the difference between vegetarian and vegan?

Vegans do not consume any animal products or anything derived from animals. Some vegetarians will eat eggs or milk, vegans do not. They don't consume things like honey. They also do not use any animals products. Vegans are against the exploitation of animals in any way.
  • catsinbooks
    catsinbooks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is my FAVOURITE vegan salad recipe. Don't get put off that it's a salad, it's super delicious and really filling.

Ingredients:

2 x green apples, diced
    1 x red capsicum - that's a pepper, for you Americans out there ;) , diced
    1 x avocado
    300 grams tofu, diced
    1 x lemon
    2 x tablespoons olive oil
    Baby spinach leaves

Method:

1. Dice the apples and capsicum finely, and put them in a big bowl. Cover them in the juice of half a lemon (to stop browning and for flavour.)
    2. Dice then fry/bake tofu in oil until golden and slightly crispy. Allow to cool.
    3. Dice or mash avocado and add to apples and capsicum, mush it all up haha
    4. Add cooled tofu, rest of lemon juice and as many spinach leaves as looks good.

Voila! Totally delicious, and really nice in a vegan mountain bread wrap.
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    Awesome!! Thanks soooo much to you all for the information!

:smile: :smile: :smile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: