How do you cook your vegetables?

Options
And do how do they taste
Have you ever like them?

Replies

• auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I love to steam mine. Then toss them with a little bit of herbs and spice (whatever im in the mood for) and small amount of oil or lemon juice. I could eat them like that pretty much every meal of every day but maybe I'm weird lol. (I find it cuts down on my veggie bill b/c can steam frozen veggies which are cheaper to buy then fresh during the winter time)
  • musicalboats
    Options
    steam 'em! (but not too long!) stir fry, bake some of them, keep them raw... all sorts of options and things to add with them... nom nom nom nom....
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Boiled. I'm lame. :sad:
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Broil them in the oven..My current favorites are broccoli & cauliflower tossed in EVOO and garlic
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love to steam mine. Then toss them with a little bit of herbs and spice (whatever im in the mood for) and small amount of oil or lemon juice. I could eat them like that pretty much every meal of every day but maybe I'm weird lol. (I find it cuts down on my veggie bill b/c can steam frozen veggies which are cheaper to buy then fresh during the winter time)

ohh, what sorts of herbs and spices do you usually have on hand? is there a particular combo you like for certain veggies?

as for me, i eat everything sauteed.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    Options
    Has anyone tried baked vegetable chips? I've heard if you slice carrots and other vegetables and add some seasoning they're quite good but I haven't attempted them yet?
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    baked carrots sound good, i will try it
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love steaming mine and mixing them with steamed rice, cook some black beans then mix them all together with a low calorie cheese sauce
  • NaturallyOlivia
    Options
    baked carrots sound good, i will try it

I found this article that has 22 different fruit/veggie chips ideas :o

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/fruit-and-vegetable-chips_n_1900923.html
  • NaturallyOlivia
    Options
    I love steaming mine and mixing them with steamed rice, cook some black beans then mix them all together with a low calorie cheese sauce

What do you use to make your sauce?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If I am just cooking them alone I prefer to roast them. No oil needed.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Broil them in the oven..My current favorites are broccoli & cauliflower tossed in EVOO and garlic

This was supposed to say "Roast", typo.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Roasting without oil is just.... Sad.... :'(

Why? I like how they taste that way. You don't have to coat everything in oil for it to taste good. Plus Brussels Sprouts get an awesome papery texture on the outside when you roast them plain. If I am going to cook my veggies in fat I will cook them in bacon grease or butter. No sense wasting calories on olive oil, there isn't much of a taste benefit.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and broccoli roasted in the oven in a little EVOO. Spinach with homemade marinara sauce. Carrots raw.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Most of the time i just microwave steam or stove top steam them and toss with a little garlic pepper salt mixture. On occasion i will attempt to get creative and made homemade parmesan kale "chips", whipped cauliflower (it was yummy), and mashed acorn squash and some yams with vanilla yogurt mix... But honesty, i like the taste of plain veggies... Plus its the simplest and thats what i do, simple! ????
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Most of my vegetables taste great raw in salads or lightly steamed, roasted, grilled or cooked in a wok. I'm not a fan of mushy, overcooked veg. It destroys all the nutrients and wrecks the fresh taste. Some stuff tastes better with a little extra cooking, though: Having grilled asparagus tomorrow night. Had roasted brussels sprouts last night. Tonight I had steamed beets. I :heart: vegetables! You can put them in anything, really.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Tossed in Olive Oil/seasoning and oven roasted tastes amazing for fresh cauliflower, zucchini, and parsnips.

Carrots and celery always raw.

Broccoli steamed or stir fried.
  • free8gent
    free8gent Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Roast <3 Roasting vegetables is like deep frying for everything else, they will all taste good! For me it's a much better texture and taste than steaming or stir-frying (although the latter can be amazing if you have a well used wok) I only steam when I don't have time to roast and don't want to use oil.

Although now that I think about it I'm sure vegetables would taste amazing deep fried too... But probably not the best thing to eat :)

Except for leafy vegetables obviously you just want to stir fry them. (or steam but I don't prefer it)

For peas, chopped green beans/carrots: throw them into fried rice <3

I agree completely!! Roasted veggies are delish! I miss having an oven now that I'm living in China :laugh: I would drizzle veggies with a small amount of olive oil and add some S&P, then roast at a high heat until brown on the outside yet not overdone on the inside.

The wok is also fantastic - I use one to cook vegetables everyday now. I first stir-fry onion and garlic in about a teaspoon of peanut oil and then add some water as soon as the wok is dry (about 30 seconds). I wait about a minute after I add the water and then toss in the veggies. Make sure to add the vegetables from longest to cook to shortest so that nothing is overdone (e.g. broccoli stalks first, then broccoli florets, peppers next, and cherry tomatoes right near the end). After adding each type of veggie I cover the wok and steam. If the wok gets dry, just add a little bit more water. Near the end I toss in a little bit of soy and/or oyster sauce and add in my already cooked protein, toss for about a minute and dinner is done.
  • free8gent
    free8gent Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Tossed in Olive Oil/seasoning and oven roasted tastes amazing for fresh cauliflower, zucchini, and parsnips.

Carrots and celery always raw.

Broccoli steamed or stir fried.

Raw carrots are great for on the go, but I love them roasted too! If you roast at a high heat they turn lovely and brown.
  • Little_Laura_K
    Little_Laura_K Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I either steam or microwave but I also love to roast root veggies too. I like to keep variety