Cymbalta

My doctor has just prescribed me with Cymbalta and physcology sessions to treat mild depression and anxiety. I was wondering if anyone else out there has tried Cymbalta and what your experiences are with it? I haven't started taking it yet as I only got it a few hours ago and from a quick Google all I can make out are absolutle horror stories for people on this drug, it's scared me!

Replies

• roohill
    roohill Posts: 87 Member
    Hi! I was also prescribed Cymbalta for mild depression and anxiety. I am taking 60 mg. The first week I took 30 mg , then stepped up to 60. The first few days I was sick. I have stomach problems and even taking with food it was a little rough. But that was short lived, by the 5 day or so I no longer was sick. So far I have mixed feelings. I have taken it now for 4 weeks. I don't feel like it is a good fit for me overall. I can see where it would help others, but I don't feel that depression is what I needed treated for, I wanted more attention on my massive anxiety, which can be crippling for me to even do my day to day chores sometimes. The only plus side so far for me has been when I lay down to sleep at night my mind doesn't wander, nor do I lay there with anxiety.. Its the only anxiety time I've seen the Cymbalta help so far. Here is the down sides though, for me personally. I feel very disconnected now at times. Not like myself, and I don't like the feeling. At different times, I've had several different people ask me.. " something wrong??" Or comment that I seem down. I would describe the feeling as " Ho-hum." By the afternoon I feel very ho-hum. :( and I don't like it. I feel like it has taken the smile off my face... obviously since Its even been pointed out to me that I look "sad" now. I go back on Wed, and I plan to see if my doctor can try something else. I don't say all this to scare you from trying it... I was scared to. But I want to feel better so badly that I knew I needed to try. I take daily notes, which has helped me. Try noting different things that you feel stand out, or that could be a bad side effect. Good luck to you. :)
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Well this is not cool, I took my first pill at 11am this morning, at 2pm I vomited violently, that can't be right!!
  • Well this is not cool, I took my first pill at 11am this morning, at 2pm I vomited violently, that can't be right!!

Nope that doesn't sound good at all. I would be giving your doctor or pharmacist a call to chat it through.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    No other symptoms like cold....flu? I think I took it long ago, my only side affect was I felt like a zombie and I didn't care about anything going on around me.

Maybe a call or visit back to the Dr. There are many other drugs to treat depression and anxiety.
  • proudnana
    proudnana Posts: 5 Member
    For me, Cymbalta has literally been a life-saver. I've been on it for 6 years and it has not only helped with my mood and sleep, but also has helped with chronic foot pain. I know a lot of people who have not been able to take it, but I have tried multiple other anti-depressants with short-term to no success. I hope it works for you, but you have to give it up to 6 to 8 weeks to feel good. You should know within a week or two if the side effects you may experience are too much. Good Luck.
  • Cindy84H
    Cindy84H Posts: 1 Member
    Cymbalta made me incredibly ill... in the beginning. After a couple weeks of nausea, diarrhea, and cramps it subsided and I felt human again. It's been a lifesaver for me, as the above person said. I had major depression and anxiety, to the point where I wanted to just walk out of my job and drive off a cliff. I've been on it for years and it's been a good fit for me. That being said, it's not a good fit for everyone. Generally with any antidepressant, the recommendation is to be on it for about a month before making any changes. It takes a while to get a good, consistent blood level. Hang in there
  • NakeshiaB
    My doctor said it wasn't good that I vomited 2 hours after taking my very first pill, so she has given me Efexor XR (Effexor in the US) to try. Better luck tomorrow!
  • NakeshiaB
    I can't do it to myself! The Cymbalta made me so sick ON THE FIRST DAY that I cannot bring myself to even try Efexor. I've tried Prozac in the past and that also made me sick for months. Frankly I don't have the physical or mental strength to put my body through that again. I would rather live with the odd bout of season depression for the rest of my life than become a emotionless zombie for 6 months. There must be a better way!!!