Do 3500 calories lost = 1 pound lost over long haul?

Options
2»

Replies

• amewha
    amewha Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a similar spreadsheet where I tracked everything over my initial 60lbs loss. I made it after two or three months had gone by and used it to determine what my BMR was based on how much I had lost (20 lbs or so by that point) vs food in and exercise out (I used a sum of squared error formula between the number on my scale and the calculated value to solve for the "activity level" in a commonly used lean mass BMR calculation). I then use an approximation using current mass and approximate body fat percentage to decrease that BMR over time/loss which saw my BMR drop from 2733 at the start to 2600 at the end. It populates into some very nice charts that I use for motivation as well.

In the end the difference between what my scale said, and what my spreadsheet said was negligible over a 60lbs loss. (and a 10lbs gain unfortunately, but heading back in the right direction again now!) Several weeks would go by where I would not bother to hit the scale and when I did I already knew what the number would be.

Yes it relies on approximations of approximations, but it is tailored to me and it is accurate for me. Your mileage will vary.

To summarize for me:
    I used a spreadsheet to determine empirically what my BMR was.
    I lost 60lbs and found that for each 3500 calories I did not consume (BMR + Exercise - Food), I lost 1lbs.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I recorded the following in a spreadsheet. I set my daily basic calorie need (BMR) to 2500 calories. Charts say my daily BMR should have been higher at the beginning of course and gradually goes down as I lose the weight. The BMR calculator said it should be just over 3000 calories when I started and reduce 7 calories for every pound I lose. But I did not use that, I used 2500 calories in my calculation. To be really accurate for the BMR I think I would need to get that measured more accurately just for me ( I know there are ways).

Deduced the calories I actually ate and added the exercise. for example, 2500 - 2000 calories eaten - 1100 calories exercise = 1600 calories excess. There are 3500 calories in a pound. It worked out very close over a month period to what I actually did lose. I was quite surprised.

Before I did this I thought that the numbers were actually quite a bit different, but when taking all numbers into account it is very close. That means (for me at least) that losing weight is really a numbers game. But if you take the calculated BMR into account my monthly loss should have been about 4 more pounds. Now I am motivated to get a more accurate reading on my BMR. I am thinking maybe on average I might have been off by 400-500 calories in my calories consumption estimates to account for this differential.
    thanks for your feedback. BUT what I was asking for is YOUR actual results, not your opinion.
    You keep saying this and it's a bit rude.

When someone is asking for SPECIFIC information posting things that have no relation to that information is pointless as well as a waste of time. No one is forcing people to post unrelated information so there is no reason to take offence, just don't post in the thread.

I've been tracking close to 5 months and my BMR is around 1650. I have had some issues with the accuracy when I WAS doing more exercise - likely due to the increase in TDEE, over/underestimations of exercise calories, muscle growth etc.. This was one of the reasons I decided NOT to do excessive working out. I walk 30 minutes 5 days/week though I am going to try again with the workouts starting Monday.

On 10/13/12 I was at 194.8 my last weight on 11/10/12 was 192.4 - I was playing with calories this month so my loss wasn't what it could have been BUT in that period I ate @49601calories which works out to about 1710 /day. This is MORE than my BMR - which it is recommended that you eat. Your method above is not clear to me, should you not be calculating based on your TDEE? For instance, My TDEE is roughly...2054, so carrying that over to the 29 days that I have calculated in this example should have put me at 2.4lbs loss 59566 calories consumed giving me a deficit of about 9965. If I divide that by 3500 then I see that my 2.4 lb loss is basically PERFECTLY ON THE BUTTON (by calculations should have been 2.8) and I know that I should be eating LESS calories to maximize my loss (which is why I have dropped again this week).

So you are right, it IS a numbers game and this highlights why its SO important to know your TDEE and also how you can spot check your numbers :)
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    3500 calories does not equal 1 lb lost. I should have lost far more than I have if that were true. I keep track of every step I take and every bite I eat, religiously. I do not lose 1 lb for every 3500 calorie deficit. About half that.
  • Methinksabout
    Options
    This is a great topic and I will have a closer look at my numbers for the last 6 months and see if it works out for me. I got my LBM measured today and will use that to calculate BMR, TDEE etc more accurately - I would love to be able to say 3500cal = 1lbs loss, but I am a sceptic and doubt that it really is THAT easy :-)

Will revert back with numbers, just posting to bump really - LOL
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I recorded the following in a spreadsheet. I set my daily basic calorie need (BMR) to 2500 calories. Charts say my daily BMR should have been higher at the beginning of course and gradually goes down as I lose the weight. The BMR calculator said it should be just over 3000 calories when I started and reduce 7 calories for every pound I lose. But I did not use that, I used 2500 calories in my calculation. To be really accurate for the BMR I think I would need to get that measured more accurately just for me ( I know there are ways).

Deduced the calories I actually ate and added the exercise. for example, 2500 - 2000 calories eaten - 1100 calories exercise = 1600 calories excess. There are 3500 calories in a pound. It worked out very close over a month period to what I actually did lose. I was quite surprised.

Before I did this I thought that the numbers were actually quite a bit different, but when taking all numbers into account it is very close. That means (for me at least) that losing weight is really a numbers game. But if you take the calculated BMR into account my monthly loss should have been about 4 more pounds. Now I am motivated to get a more accurate reading on my BMR. I am thinking maybe on average I might have been off by 400-500 calories in my calories consumption estimates to account for this differential.
    thanks for your feedback. BUT what I was asking for is YOUR actual results, not your opinion.

When someone is asking for SPECIFIC information posting things that have no relation to that information is pointless as well as a waste of time. No one is forcing people to post unrelated information so there is no reason to take offence, just don't post in the thread.

I've been tracking close to 5 months and my BMR is around 1650. I have had some issues with the accuracy when I WAS doing more exercise - likely due to the increase in TDEE, over/underestimations of exercise calories, muscle growth etc.. This was one of the reasons I decided NOT to do excessive working out. I walk 30 minutes 5 days/week though I am going to try again with the workouts starting Monday.

On 10/13/12 I was at 194.8 my last weight on 11/10/12 was 192.4 - I was playing with calories this month so my loss wasn't what it could have been BUT in that period I ate @49601calories which works out to about 1710 /day. This is MORE than my BMR - which it is recommended that you eat. Your method above is not clear to me, should you not be calculating based on your TDEE? For instance, My TDEE is roughly...2054, so carrying that over to the 29 days that I have calculated in this example should have put me at 2.4lbs loss 59566 calories consumed giving me a deficit of about 9965. If I divide that by 3500 then I see that my 2.4 lb loss is basically PERFECTLY ON THE BUTTON (by calculations should have been 2.8) and I know that I should be eating LESS calories to maximize my loss (which is why I have dropped again this week).

So you are right, it IS a numbers game and this highlights why its SO important to know your TDEE and also how you can spot check your numbers :)

Sorry to be a bit rude, I just get annoyed with people chiming in with an opinion when that was not the question at all.

The article quote earlier was quite informative actually.
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3500-calories-to-lose-a-pound-is-this-formula-all-wrong-237.html

But it gives generalizations and basically says everyone is different but for the most part 3500 calories deficit will not equate to 1 pound of fat loss. I say... duh. I think most people know that. But also there is lots of interesting tidbits in that article like:

"If you have very high body fat to begin with, the typical rule of thumb on calorie deficits may underestimate the deficit required to lose a pound. It may also be too conservative, and you can probably use a more aggressive deficit safely without as much worry about muscle loss or metabolic slowdown."
  • peterdt
    Options

The whole number game is estimates built on estimates. The calories in the food is estimated. The amount of fat in your body is estimated. The number of calories burned is estimated. The amount that it takes to burn the estimated amount of fat is estimated. The amount your body consumes at rest is estimated. The amount you burn when you exercise is estimated. Even the best scientific studies and tests under the most controlled conditions still have to rely on estimates, guesses, and assumptions. Add to that every person is different, there is no magic formula.

Not looking for opinions. Just other people's results. Other types of responses are not the objective of the post. Sorry if that offends you. But it is also annoying if reply to a post and just chime in with an opinion without answering the question in the post. No worries though. Just being direct.. just like you. :)
  • peterdt
    Options
    You're not going to find what you are looking for. As has already been mentioned, short of some very controlled and very pricey testing done in a clinic, you have no way to know your actual BMR, actual caloric intake, and actual calories burned. You also have to consider body composition and water retention on top of all that. There are just too many variables that are near impossible to nail down accurately to say for sure. At the end of the day, you have to adjust the numbers that you are using to get the amount of weight loss you want to achieve.

I have MFP setup for a 1.5 lb/week loss right now but I am actually losing more like 2-2.5 lb/week. I tend to overestimate my food and underestimate my exercise so it's not surprising at all that I lose more than I should. I also expect that to slow down now that I have changed my workouts as I should be putting on more muscle.

The point is, if you are not losing as fast as you like, eat less or exercise more. Or try something different if you don't like the results. Do more heavy weight and less cardio or vice versa. As long as you keep losing and getting fit, what's the rush? This is a lifetime commitment, not something that you forget about once you get to your goal weight.

Thanks for your feedback. care to share any actual data?
  • peterdt
    Options
    I have a similar spreadsheet where I tracked everything over my initial 60lbs loss. I made it after two or three months had gone by and used it to determine what my BMR was based on how much I had lost (20 lbs or so by that point) vs food in and exercise out (I used a sum of squared error formula between the number on my scale and the calculated value to solve for the "activity level" in a commonly used lean mass BMR calculation). I then use an approximation using current mass and approximate body fat percentage to decrease that BMR over time/loss which saw my BMR drop from 2733 at the start to 2600 at the end. It populates into some very nice charts that I use for motivation as well.

In the end the difference between what my scale said, and what my spreadsheet said was negligible over a 60lbs loss. (and a 10lbs gain unfortunately, but heading back in the right direction again now!) Several weeks would go by where I would not bother to hit the scale and when I did I already knew what the number would be.

Yes it relies on approximations of approximations, but it is tailored to me and it is accurate for me. Your mileage will vary.

To summarize for me:
    I used a spreadsheet to determine empirically what my BMR was.
    I lost 60lbs and found that for each 3500 calories I did not consume (BMR + Exercise - Food), I lost 1lbs.

This is more what I was looking for. Thank you very much. Doing the work of recording all these numbers takes some time, but I find it very rewarding and interesting, just like it sounds like it has for you too.

I think there is something to finding out what your BMR is just by recording the numbers like we did.

There are variables that change over time as others have pointed out like:
    1. muscle loss or increase.
    2. TDEE/BMR that gradually goes down as you lose weight.
    3. Hormonal differences.
    4. probably many more....

Still I think it is an interesting topic to share. I think it also helps to not make the weight loss process feel less "out of control" being able to roughly predict how your body will respond over month long time spans, or more.

Thanks again!
  • peterdt
    Options
    This is a great topic and I will have a closer look at my numbers for the last 6 months and see if it works out for me. I got my LBM measured today and will use that to calculate BMR, TDEE etc more accurately - I would love to be able to say 3500cal = 1lbs loss, but I am a sceptic and doubt that it really is THAT easy :-)

Will revert back with numbers, just posting to bump really - LOL

Sounds great. I can hear the numbers crunching already. :)
  • dianita01
    dianita01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    And what kind of data do you need exactly? I quite clearly stated that that math worked out perfectly for me. How much simpler could I have made that?

3500 calories burned= 1 lb lost for me. It's not rocket science.

Try reading before being snarky next time.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Back when I was behaving, I was losing what MFP estimated I would be losing in spite of doing a lot of estimating.

That said, there are lot of reasons why someone wouldn't lose the amount MFP estimates, even if they are recording everything accurately. Someone might have a slower-than-normal metabolism, so their calculations will be off. Another reason is that you don't only lose fat when you restrict calories; you lose muscle mass as well (strength training helps reduce the loss, but you can't usually* build muscles in a caloric deficit). Muscles do not have the same number of calories per pound, so that will throw the numbers off.

*The very obese and total beginners to strength training can lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously, but the effect is temporary.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've recorded cals in and out since April (excepting a few weeks). Bumping and I'll be back later to let you know...
  • peterdt
    Options
    I've recorded cals in and out since April (excepting a few weeks). Bumping and I'll be back later to let you know...

sounds awesome.
  • peterdt
    Options
    And what kind of data do you need exactly? I quite clearly stated that that math worked out perfectly for me. How much simpler could I have made that?

3500 calories burned= 1 lb lost for me. It's not rocket science.

Try reading before being snarky next time.

I love that word.. snarky. anyway, I meant like actual food calories, exercise calories and your BMR- comparing those to the actual. but your summary is fine and THANK YOU, exact number would be cool to look at though and over what time period. the longer the time period the better of course.
  • peterdt
    Options
    Back when I was behaving, I was losing what MFP estimated I would be losing in spite of doing a lot of estimating.

That said, there are lot of reasons why someone wouldn't lose the amount MFP estimates, even if they are recording everything accurately. Someone might have a slower-than-normal metabolism, so their calculations will be off. Another reason is that you don't only lose fat when you restrict calories; you lose muscle mass as well (strength training helps reduce the loss, but you can't usually* build muscles in a caloric deficit). Muscles do not have the same number of calories per pound, so that will throw the numbers off.

*The very obese and total beginners to strength training can lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously, but the effect is temporary.

You might want to think of tyring to put it all in a spreadsheet (you can look up your old number one day at a time) and seeing if there are any monthly trends. It was eye opening for me compared to daily results.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!