Chicken Stew Recipes...

Does anyone have any low calorie chicken stew recipes? I can't seem to find any good ones on the web that include the serving size.
I typically add white meat chicken, potatoes, celery, and onions. Any other vegetable is fine.

Thanks!

Replies

• Someone help me out here. :P
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    I have an awesome one. Really low cal and still delicious. The biggest thing is to slow cook. Start with chicken breast, seasonings (including onion and garlic) and chicken stock. Let cook until the chicken is falling apart. Remove 2 cups of stock and set aside to cool. Shred chicken and add back into stock. Taste and season stock and chicken. Add veggies and beans. Mix cooled down 2 cups of stock with flour until smooth then slowly mix slurry into the rest of the stew. Turn slow cooker on high and let cook until thickened (about an hour) Serve over toasted wheat bread or rice.

8 cups chicken stock
    1lb chicken breast
    2 chicken stock cubes
    1 cilantro cube (knorr makes them)
    1 bay leaf
    1/2tsp poultry seasoning
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1Tbs minced garlic
    1/2 cup carrots, chopped
    1/2 cup sweet potato, chopped
    1 15oz can white beans
    1/2 cup all purpose flour

Less than 300 calories per 2 cup serving.
  • ssalmfp
    ssalmfp Posts: 27 Member
    I made this one yesterday. It was super good (though I substituted the 4 c. of milk with 3 1/2 c. of milk and 1/2 c. of cream. I ended up using less chicken so the calories actually came out to being less than on the website).

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-pot-pie-soup.html
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    I made this one yesterday. It was super good (though I substituted the 4 c. of milk with 3 1/2 c. of milk and 1/2 c. of cream. I ended up using less chicken so the calories actually came out to being less than on the website).

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-pot-pie-soup.html

^^ I have made this one before and am actually making it tonight again. It's flipping delish!!! The first time I used turkey, tonight I'm using chicken and going to try the 1/2 cup cream idea too. Thanks. :happy:
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 516 Member
    I made this the other day, although I think it is more like Chicken Pot Pie Filling, you could change up the Veggies to make it more stew like:

Take 4 cups of Chicken Broth (I used Aldi Fit & Active All Natural broth) and put this in a pot. Reserve 1 cup for later.
    Add a 1/2 Bag of frozen Whole Kernel Corn and a 1/2 Bag of Frozen Peas and Carrots. Cook on high for about 10 minutes. Add 16 oz of precooked diced Chicken breast (I had left overs). While the veggies and chicken are warming up, take to Tablespoons of Whole Wheat Flour and whisk it in with the 1 cup of stock that you reserved earlier. Once well blended, slowly add this to your stew to thicken it up.

This made 5 servings and (with the ingredients that I used) came out as 176 calories per serving, 17 g of Carbs, 3 g of Fat, 23 g Protein, 52 g of Cholesteral and 521g of sodium.

I usually make a Bread bowl and heat up this filling and serve it. Still comes out at a very filling under 300 calorie meal.
  • here2bme
    here2bme Posts: 63 Member
    I have an awesome one. Really low cal and still delicious. The biggest thing is to slow cook. Start with chicken breast, seasonings (including onion and garlic) and chicken stock. Let cook until the chicken is falling apart. Remove 2 cups of stock and set aside to cool. Shred chicken and add back into stock. Taste and season stock and chicken. Add veggies and beans. Mix cooled down 2 cups of stock with flour until smooth then slowly mix slurry into the rest of the stew. Turn slow cooker on high and let cook until thickened (about an hour) Serve over toasted wheat bread or rice.

8 cups chicken stock
    1lb chicken breast
    2 chicken stock cubes
    1 cilantro cube (knorr makes them)
    1 bay leaf
    1/2tsp poultry seasoning
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1Tbs minced garlic
    1/2 cup carrots, chopped
    1/2 cup sweet potato, chopped
    1 15oz can white beans
    1/2 cup all purpose flour

Less than 300 calories per 2 cup serving.

I will be making this today!