help with self control

Options
hey everyone i'm ashley, and i have absolutely no self control. I know i need to wake up early in the mornings to do my home workout and shower before my kids wake up, but i just continue to push the snooze button. i know i need to stop eating out but i just can't. yesterday we had kfc (the worst place to eat ever) and i had a mashed potato bowl which turned out to be 700 Cals. i was embarrased and ashamed of myself yet today i had the left over bowl (my husband didn't eat his yesterday) and instead of stopping and getting something healthier to eat, i sat there thinking how many calories i would be over on my goal today. I can't help it to feel hungry all the time when trying to watch what i eat. i feel like i eat but am never satisfied for long...

anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• justaphiend
    Options
    Hey! Don't feel so bad, We all do it! I suggest that you drink a glass of water before you eat anything, and that will help you feel full. If youre going out to eat, at KFC or wherever always get whats healthier... they have grilled chicken too ya know. always eat a salad if you can... Also if you really dont think you have control with food, make up a budget of how much you spend when you go out to eat, calculate all of it, and just think of how much money you could save each week if you didnt go out to eat! put the same amount of money away the following week instead of eating out, save up and buy some weights or alli. Dont be ashamed though! We are all only human! good luck!
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    I think it's really discouraging and hard to try and make too many changes at once. You could try and focus on making one change a week to your lifestyle and then add another change the next week and so on. For example, you could tell yourself that this week you will get up and workout in the mornings. That will be your goal. Worry about that and don't stress the other imperfections in your day because you'll get to those eventually! You are making a lifestyle change and it might be a DRASTIC change, for the majority of us it is! Trying to change to many things at once, at least for me, leads to feelings of failure and then it just snowballs from there and I don't actually change anything!! I'd say take it one week at a time, get used to your new habit and then add another one on! Just stick with it, you can do it! Just remember that we're always here at MFP to offer support or even just listen! :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Eat filling foods- protein, good carbs, good fats. Don't waste calories on junk. Don't let yourself get too hungry- one good tip is to eat something healthy and filling BEFORE you're starving. It's a lot easier to battle cravings when you're not hungry. Try planning your meals the night before, and stick with it as much as you can. Practice, practice, practice. Like anything, it takes practice to learn restraint. Once you get used to suffering through those feelings you get when you don't eat what you want to eat, it gets a little easier.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    Take out your inner perfectionist and dance on her head. To steal a line from FlyLady "It didn't get messy in a day and it isn't going to be cleaned up in a day." Changing habits and cleaning houses both take time. Do not let yourself get discouraged when you mess up. It's going to happen! You're human....(unless you're not human...in which case feel free to do whatever it is that you aliens or gods do).

If you have KFC, well okay, you ate KFC. Feeling ashamed and regretful about it doesn't help anyone, least of all you. Just try not to eat KFC the next time. Surround yourself with healthy foods that brighten your kitchen at home. Plan your meals ahead of time and try to keep them simple. For the more advanced class, make healthy meals ahead of time and freeze them. :) Hope that helps!
  • darcanar
    darcanar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This sounds like me, though I am starting to change it. It's like there's a voice that says how bad my choices are, but I don't listen to it. I make up some reason why it's ok to do it, or I just wait till I've already done it and then feel bad. I tried to read up about self motivation, and one thing that works for me is to make a list- or write down the things I want to accomplish in the day. Once I see it in writing, I am much more motivated to get it done. It seems silly, but I think the reason it is hard to work out or eat right is because we don't see immediate results all the time. But, being able to check it off the list is instant gratification!
  • sendmoretigers
    Options
    pick up a copy of "food rules" by michael pollan, it's a fast read written in plain language and the advice it gives can be put to use immediately. it will cost you less than what you spent at KFC and will be much, much better for you...
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Ashley,
    I say up your protein and milk intake. It will take away the hungries. Also, make sure you are getting in a healthy snack between meals. Peel an organge, slice an apple, enjoy a yogurt. This will keep you from feeling STARVED at mealtime. Also know, when you are raising a family, it seems like life revolves around planning meals, eating meals and cleaning up after meals. This is a season in your life. Let others help prepare it and clean it up. Hope all of this helps! Hang in there girley! :smile:
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I was where you are last year. I was no very happy. It took seeing a gross picture of me on facebook to get my *kitten* in gear. For me, I joined WW online and once i commited my 'wallet' I was IN and didnt look back. i can assure you I am much much happier now over 30 pounds down. Healther skin, more energy, better pms, and just feel BETTER.

For me, a few things help to get 'started'.
    *drink your water. at least 10 glasses (80oz)
    *eat every 2-3 hours. Don't let your self get too hungry.
    *plan your meals. Having something defrosting will keep you accountable and less likely to make junky dinners, order in or go out.
    *Don't try and work out in the morning. I'm not a morning person and i was just shooting myself in the foot trying to work out then. I work out now at night. Works much better. I don't try and go to the gym, I started with some treadmill at home, bit of wii fit and now i've been doing a 20 min dvd with jillian micheals (30dayShred) and find it easy to get 20min in and i've seen good results.
    *clean out the pantry of the worst temptations
    *drink a tall glass of water before dinner, to help fill you up
    *lots of veggies means you can graze and graze without bothering your calorie intake too much. Look up the WW vegetable soup. Its very filling.
    *make mini goals ... 5lbs, 10 lbs, 2 inches on your waist... all the little things that are so fun to celebrate!
    *if you are going to KFC, look up the Nutirtional Info and try and find the best choice. Or let the family eat and have a water and salad and eat something when you get home.
    *I really found the food lists at body for life website a good starting place to work my daily menus around.

GOOD LUCK and you can do it!
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Don't eat out if you can help it. Find a few really great tasting recipes and eating well won't feel like such a chore. I started making a great Pesto Pita Pizza once a week in place of the greasy pizza we usually get, Suprises my family that it's even BETTER than take out. Instead of KFC, make shake n bake at home and spray cooking spray on it. Make your own mashed potatoes with Skim milk and light butter. Just remember your portion sizes. If you are still hungry, have salad.
    I am a Foodie so I struggle with the same things as you. This has worked for me a lot.
    Good Luck! You can do this, just tell yourself everyday how important it is. Soon you will see the results and it will be all worth it.
  • ashley_alm
    ashley_alm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the advice and ideas everyone! it really helps tp have a support system on here!! :flowerforyou: