discouraged

Options
I been trying really hard to lose weight...Im getting discouraged. I can see Im getting muscle from lifting weights but my scale is staying the same. I know that means Ive lost some weight and gained muscle but its still discouraging. Im going on my first vacation in March and wanted to lose weight. I have been good on my calories (other then today with depression eating). I been trying to eat around 1200 calories and Im exercising 4 days a week.. I been doing this for atleast 3 months and nothing is happening. I have been changing up my workouts but still I see muscle but no inches lost. I dont want to stop lifting weights cause I want muscle but IDK what to do. PLEASE advise would help.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary. Here's what I see: McDonalds many times, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, pizza, Pop Tarts, cookies. . . not a fruit or vegetable in sight. You are over your calories, sometimes by 1000. I might gently suggest that you rethink your food plan.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna be blunt here...ok?

are you swimming in the river of DENIAL or what?

you not only eat crap but you eat way too much crap.

In the last week you have gone over your calories by a BIG BUNCH!

Not even I could lose any weight eating like that.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary. Here's what I see: McDonalds many times, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, pizza, Pop Tarts, cookies. . . not a fruit or vegetable in sight. You are over your calories, sometimes by 1000. I might gently suggest that you rethink your food plan.

I agree with this. I think you need to eat better! If you need any help/tips/ideas message me and I can help you out :) I'm a culinary science major with a minor in dietetics (2 years of dietetics before changing my major)

You have plenty of time! March is still a very long time away. So with a better diet, being consistent, and lifting you WILL see a big difference!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You gotta stop with all that fast food. The double cheese burgers, pizza, blizzards, etc aren't working too well in your favor. I'm not saying you have to stop eating out all together, but it's imperative that you make wiser choices when you do eat out. You're not seeing the results you want because those things are hindering your progress, especially considering all the days you've blown completely through your calories. Start introducing more fruits/vegetables & lean meats, and less of the fast & processed foods. Stay within your calories and exercise a couple times a week and the scale should be moving again in no time. Cool?
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi! I took a look at your diary. I mean this to be helpful not cruel.....

I ate the way you are eating all through my 20's and now I am rediculously overweight. Start eating healthier now or you may waste the next 10 years of your life like I did. I'd give anything to have a time machine and go back to when I was your age and correct my bad habits before they got out of control.

Seriously, you're young and beautiful. Treat your body the way it deserves to be treated. As the ones before me said, eat more fruits and veggies, avoid fast food,/simple sugars, and drink more water. Good luck!
  • Jcox300
    Jcox300 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Honestly I guess I was in denial,. I didn't think it matter as long as after I exercised that my calories were under 1200. Thank you for the brutal honesty. It stung some but it was effective. I really appreciate it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    That was quite mature of the OP to accept the advice of her MFP supporters here. Many people ask for advice and then get defensive when they get it. A couple of things to remember. . . weight loss is all about food. It has very little to do with exercise. Exercise is about fitness. And the quality (read: nutritional value) of food matters very much.

Since I have been on MFP and overhauled my eating, 146 days ago, I feel 20 years younger. I am never hungry. Many of the aches and pains I attributed to aging have disappeared. Yup, all that broccoli, asparagus, fresh tomato, apple, hummus, grilled chicken, almonds, the stir fries, baked sweet potato fries. . . it's paying off. . . and it's delicious.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Honestly I guess I was in denial,. I didn't think it matter as long as after I exercised that my calories were under 1200. Thank you for the brutal honesty. It stung some but it was effective. I really appreciate it.

Brutal honesty does help many times. Most of us try to be kind. There is a LOT of sarcasm on these forums too he he.

The key important thing is to stick to a goo plan and to hold yourself accountable for what you eat.

Exercise does help, but it is not as huge as diet is. Basically if I eat a snickers bar, I have to run on the treadmill for 55 minutes to burn it off... I might as well not have the snickers instead and save myself the time!

Some tips for your diet...

1. Your weight loss goals may be too ambitious at 1200 calories a day. Set MFP to 1 pound weight loss.
    2. You are getting insufficient protein. Manually set MFP to 30% protein.
    3. I do not condemn eating out. Instead, make more intelligent choices. 2 Hamburgers, a side salad, and a tall glass of water will run you around 550 calories and cost about $3.50. Abandon french fries. They are literally the ONLY food I have come across that has nothing for you.

Overall, remember that no one here wants to hurt your feelings or be cruel. Our goal is weight loss. So is yours. We want you to achieve your goals as much as we want to achieve ours.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    A couple other suggestions.....Start tracking sodium if you are eating out even now and then you'd be surprised how much sodium you're getting this casues excess water retention and can mask some weight loss. Of course you should also curb the fast food some and try to eat more of the good stuff. Another thing that helped me was upping my Protein macro so I concentrate more on lean protein and the sugars and Carbs end up taking a back seat without me feeling like I'm depriving myself.

Also netting 1200 a day is really only healthy for very few people long term. So depending on how much you have to lose you might consider upping your calorie goal little. I say try to keep it near your BMR so your body always has the fuel it needs.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I been trying really hard to lose weight...Im getting discouraged. I can see Im getting muscle from lifting weights but my scale is staying the same. I know that means Ive lost some weight and gained muscle but its still discouraging. Im going on my first vacation in March and wanted to lose weight. I have been good on my calories (other then today with depression eating). I been trying to eat around 1200 calories and Im exercising 4 days a week.. I been doing this for atleast 3 months and nothing is happening. I have been changing up my workouts but still I see muscle but no inches lost. I dont want to stop lifting weights cause I want muscle but IDK what to do. PLEASE advise would help.

Patience. Use the force. Think
  • chillyv
    chillyv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there -- others have mentioned that 1,200 calories a day might be too little and I'd like to echo that. I am a short person so we all though 1,200 was enough for me. Nope - it wasn't enough. Yes, I lost weight, but in the end, it backfired -- I just ate and ate and ate to make up for lack of calories and gained all the weight back.

If your body thinks it's in starvation mode it will not allow you to loose. Eating more (especially eating more nutritiously) may, oddly, help you loose.
  • kels67camaro
    Options
    I was always told you cant out exercise a bad diet :smile: But i have the same problem i exercies every day, weights and cardio but i just cant seem to get to my diet straight!
  • Jcox300
    Jcox300 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate it all. I kept all your comments in my head today.
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Some tips for your diet...

1. Your weight loss goals may be too ambitious at 1200 calories a day. Set MFP to 1 pound weight loss.
    2. You are getting insufficient protein. Manually set MFP to 30% protein.

^^THIS. The protein macro on MFP is set too low, IMO. And when I was on a plateau, I found myself eating fewer and fewer calories thinking that it would make me lose. I finally worked up the courage to up my calories (from 1200 to ~1450) and started losing again. If you eat MORE, granted it should be healthy food, it might work for you.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Throw out your current goals and start over. You need to step back and start by setting goals that you can achieve. I've been there and was seriously overweight, then started lifting and doing some cardio . . . and then I would reward myself by eating more! It took me a long time to learn that diet is everything. So do this: (1) go back through your food log and add up your calories and divide by the number of days you've recorded. That's your average daily consumption, (2) set a goal that reduced your average calories by a reasonable amount - but don't go overboard for now as you just need to start making real improvements (maybe set your goal at a total of 1500 calories a day okay - is that doable for you right now?), (3) build in your cheat meals but don't give yourself more than 1 a week but enjoy that meal when you have it. Maybe plan it for right after your hardest workout of the week and (4) learn to cook healthy meals that taste good. Number (4) is hard in the beginning but once you get it down you will really enjoy the food. Start by picking up a cookbook or finding a magazine such as Clean Eating. The key is eating clean - fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, good fats, whole grains, and low fat dairy. Don't eat anything out of a box as its rarely food! There are exceptions such as shredded wheat cereal, whole grain dried pastas, etc. but if it has more than a few ingredients stay away. Most food labeled "healthy" is anything but. If you're craving sweets then grab a piece of fruit, if you're really hungry make sure your meal includes protein and some good fats. Things like whole eggs, salmon, avocados and nuts are loaded with fat, and the salmon and eggs have cholesterol, but they are all very healthy and filling. Good luck!