Question FOr Walkers - Morning, Afternoon, or Evening?

Options
I was just wondering if those of you who mainly walk for exercise, walk in the morning, in the afternoon, or in the evening? Does it make much of a difference what time of day you get your walking in?

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Too lazy in the morning generally - dog walks afternoon evening or night.
  • T2Jeanne
    Options
    I only recently started walking and decided to do so in the evening. Unfortunatly my the time evening comes I am worn out so I am thinking of switching to morning. Perhaps if I DO IT first thing then i don't have to worry about trying to FIT IT IN.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I love walking early in the morning, it is nice to watch the sun rise, but I also love evening walks too and seeing the sun set, so on dawn or dusk are my favourite times to walk.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Walking at any time is great but most beneficial in the mornings fasted, big glass of water and off you go.... your body taps into your fat stores to burn to keep you going since you have not eaten in probably 10hrs.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I do it the minute i wake up,,, between 4am to 7am,,, i have the highest amount of energy then.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I go walking in the morning before work as I am more likely to do it if I am up early whereas I find it easier to procrastinate (or fall asleep on the sofa) if I leave it until the end of the working day.

You have to find the time that works best with your lifestyle / job / family / household - not every husband like his wife's alarm going off at 5.15 am :):)

I like the mornings because there is hardly anyone about except other walkers/runners and I get to see amazing sights such as London in an Autumn fog like in this photo taken this morning at 6am

photo.jpg
    *edited to reduce the massive photo size
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    Options
    GORGEOUS PIC!!!, mornings are so so PEACEFUL!
  • cue_chik
    cue_chik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've considered walking first thing in the morning, but I get up at 5 a.m. already and it would require I get up at least 30 minutes earlier to fit it in... but I also know that by the time I get home from work in the afternoon, all the motivation I had for exercise that morning has disappeared...LOL
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I like the mornings because there is hardly anyone about except other walkers/runners and I get to see amazing sights such as London in an Autumn fog like in this photo taken this morning at 6am

305906_10151328534675420_1035476435_n.jpg

London.... in the dark.... by myself? No thanks! Lol. Now I have moved to Adelaide, I love walking in the mornings - gets it out of the way and it is beautiful here. With more time at the weekends, I walk along the beach - amazing. So glad I moved here! :-)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    Options
    i hear ya!!, i have zero energy in the afternoons, i find when i walk in the mornings, i am so pumped for the whole day, much more energy to last.
  • camille70
    Options
    I try to walk in the early mornings before I do anything else. It gets the exercise out of the way and help me feel invigorated for the rest of the day. Also I find that later in the day I usually want to go for another walk, so even if it is for 30 mins I get extra in! I challenge you to get up an hour earlier and walk! You won't be sorry! :)
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options

London.... in the dark.... by myself? No thanks! Lol. Now I have moved to Adelaide, I love walking in the mornings - gets it out of the way and it is beautiful here. With more time at the weekends, I walk along the beach - amazing. So glad I moved here! :-)

You're not the only one to say that to me :) but in 2 months of running, I only ever see the same gang of runners and dog-walkers out. The most danger I was ever in was when a red setter decided I was its new best friend and jumped up on me. (Muddy leafy paw prints - lovely)

On Halloween morning, I did hear almighty howls and yowls coming out of here but I think (HOPE) it was the early morning cleaning staff having a laugh by trying to spook me :)

photo1.jpg?t=1352979112
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I use my commute home as my main exercise, so I'm early-evening most days. I have reflective arm-bands now that it's dark early, and I stick to populated, well-lit roads. It's a brisk 45-50 minute walk, door to door.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I walk around 10:00 on break at work and when it's cold I walk again in the evenings. I don't think it really mattters when you walk :}
  • foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    work days my dogs get wonderful walks first thing in the morning - at the moment by torch light! it is a great way to start the day and see (when you can) wildlife! Week-ends a longer walk with a pub stop in the middle for lunch. I have just learned to say Diet Coke instead of large wine, and order healthy options!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    At some point walking through a dodgy neighbourhood in a town a bit too close to Bradford I was thinking "hmmm, best be careful"...
    Then I realised being a 6' (well, half an inch under) well built skinhead bloke wearing a hoody, military boots and an air force jacket, walking a large Akita - actually I was probably fine :).