Not eating enough calories - yet too much fat!

Options
So I only started this yesterday and I am told I am eating too few calories/carbs but too a little too much fat. I am vegetarian and would love some suggestions for snacks that will boost my calorie or carb intake without increasing my fat intake...Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    how much is too much fat? who told you that you are eating too much fat?

fat is not the cause of being fat.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you are going by MFP's numbers, then I wouldn't worry. Do some research. Depending on your goals, "too much fat" may be just fine. And you may also be eating plenty of carbs.

If you decide you need more, tho, fruits and vegetables have carbs and very little/no fat.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Who told me? Well, Myfitnessplan.com did when I completed my food diary... Of course eating too much fat causes people to be fat. Clearly it's not the only factor but of course fat causes people to be fat. :-/
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    Thanks. I think boosting my veg intake can certainly do no harm. :-)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Who told me? Well, Myfitnessplan.com did when I completed my food diary... Of course eating too much fat causes people to be fat. Clearly it's not the only factor but of course fat causes people to be fat. :-/

NO fat does not make you fat.

the ONLY thing that makes you fat is too many calories
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    Okay Dave, I was under the impression that weight gain came about as a result of eating a combination of too many calories/carbs/protein/fat etc. Fat surely plays a part when combined with the other components?

As I said I am a little confused as I am being told on here that I am not eating enough calories and that that may impede my weight loss- hence I asked for some advice- do you have any advice/helpful tips?
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Could you make your diary public? If people could see what you were eating, they could help more.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Okay Dave, I was under the impression that weight gain came about as a result of eating a combination of too many calories/carbs/protein/fat etc. Fat surely plays a part when combined with the other components?

As I said I am a little confused as I am being told on here that I am not eating enough calories and that that may impede my weight loss- hence I asked for some advice- do you have any advice/helpful tips?

for just weight loss...the only thing required is fewer calories than you burn staying alive and exercising. for weight loss AND health, it is almost always better to eat food that is fresh and not battered and fried in cheap oil.

fats, proteins and carbohydrates are the basic building blocks of most foods. fats and proteins are needed to stay alive. fat has an unfortunate name but fat is needed and limiting fat does not always work.

if you eat too few calories, weight loss can be much slower because your body is protecting itself and wants to hang on to its reserves as long as possible. If MFP is telling you to eat more, then you should probably eat more. I would respectfully suggest you do some basic research on nutrition on various web sites.

good luck
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    Thanks Dave. Appreciate all that. I have for ages been trying to eat 'healthily'. I eat little or no fried food, plenty of veg and fruit but I find it hard to resist cheese, peanuts and crisps... I am hoping that filling in the food diary on here will motivate me to be more disciplined.

Definitely need to learn a bit more nutrition etc. Will look into it. :-)
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    Hi Tabi,

Just saw this now. I will think about that one. Not sure I want everyone knowing 'mah business'. ;-) But as you say it might make it easier for people to help.. I'll see how I do after month and if things aren't working out I will do that. I'm only on day 2.
  • JillyBean456
    JillyBean456 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Teresa, I'm also vegetarian - and new to MFP. Don't worry about fat, just concentrate on eating approximately the suggested number of calories. And make sure you are eating enough protein.

Fat in food is often seen as "the dieter's enemy", but that's just because 1g of fat contains TWICE as many calories as 1g of protein or 1g of carbohydrate. However, your body will break it down into carbon dioxide and water - and release the energy - just the same as with other types of food. Your body doesn't really care where it gets it's energy from!

Personally, I prefer a low-fat diet, as it means I can eat bigger meals (more bread, fruit, veg). I'm sure you already know what constitutes a "healthy diet" - so stick with that, just smaller portions!

Good luck!
    LadyM
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    Thank you very much,lady M!
  • JillyBean456
    Options
    Ah, cheese and crisps . . . I know all about salt-cravings!!!

You can easily include a bag of crisps into your daily diet - just make sure you log the calories.

As for cheese - buy a block of VERY STRONG Cheddar (preferably Strength 6) finely grate it, and pop it in the freezer. It will be expensive, but it'll last for ages.

A couple of crackers, sprinkled with 10g of cheese, should "scratch that itch" !
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    Cheers for the tip, Lady M.Once I start at cheese I find it very hard to stop. I buy bags of reduced fat grated cheese and allow myself no more than 30g per day but if I go out to eat I tend to think 'Oh treat yourself!' and suddenly I am scoffing a pizza.. Not the best idea. But I don't do that very often these days.

As for crisps. No point in kidding myself that I won't eat them but I buy one pack now instead of multi-packs because if I bring a multi-pack home they will get scoffed one after the other.
  • JillyBean456
    Options
    Do NOT buy fat-reduced ready-grated cheese - it's disgusting!

Much tastier - and cheaper - to eat 10g of delicious vintage Cheddar than 30g of tasteless muck!
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    I quite like the Low Low reduced fat white cheddar, it's much creamier than some others I've tried.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I changed my macros to 50% carbs and 25% each of fat and protein. It is difficult to get too much fat if you are in a calorie deficit. Just avoid trans-fats and you'll be fine.
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    Thanks Wendy! :-)