Motorcycle riding

Options

Replies

• AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread... I spent four hours on the bike yesterday, and it is certainly harder work than the same amount of time in the car. My wrists, shoulders, and back muscles are all sore like I'd been doing light weight training.

Anyone in central or southern IN that rides, feel free to message me. We'll burn calories together all summer.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I doubt it... Maybe if you are off road riding / motocross etc., but I really don't believe I'm going through that while riding my hog.
  • AlSalzman
    Options
    At risk of starting a Harley / sportbike rift in this thread... I'd agree you're probably not buring that many calories on the "Hog." Every cruiser I've ever been on has a very relaxed riding position and uses a high, wide bar with plenty of leverage for steering inputs... it's set up to maintain comfort over long distances and to steer gradually with little effort. You can hold the cruiser riding position all day without effort - try it in your chair in front of your computer.

Now try holding the sportbike riding position with just the edge of your butt on the edge of your desk chair. Then start shifting your weight from side to side like you're throwing your bike into the corners... how long before you start to feel it? Which one do you think burns more calories?
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    At risk of starting a Harley / sportbike rift in this thread... I'd agree you're probably not buring that many calories on the "Hog." Every cruiser I've ever been on has a very relaxed riding position and uses a high, wide bar with plenty of leverage for steering inputs... it's set up to maintain comfort over long distances and to steer gradually with little effort. You can hold the cruiser riding position all day without effort - try it in your chair in front of your computer.

Now try holding the sportbike riding position with just the edge of your butt on the edge of your desk chair. Then start shifting your weight from side to side like you're throwing your bike into the corners... how long before you start to feel it? Which one do you think burns more calories?

No thanks, bud. I'm 51 years old - been there done that since before you were born, I'll stick with my hog now.:glasses:
  • rdnckbkr
    rdnckbkr Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok...a year later than the convo, but I was just looking up this very thing! I've spent 2 hours on my bike today 42 degrees for the high today. My thought is....It's just a bonus that I burn calories doing something that I love. I don't figure on extra calories for the day...I will say though, that I tone up and lose weight EVERY riding season without any effort. And I ALWAYS pack it back on in the winter. Changing my overall eating habits will hopefully stop that vicious cycle! :-)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Opt for full leathers instead of mesh or textile jackets...should sweat them off faster :).
    that way when you melt you can behappy that your not going to melt your pants off (I melted my textiles down when I went down on the highway)
  • AlSalzman
    Options
    Ok...a year later than the convo, but I was just looking up this very thing! I've spent 2 hours on my bike today 42 degrees for the high today. My thought is....It's just a bonus that I burn calories doing something that I love. I don't figure on extra calories for the day...I will say though, that I tone up and lose weight EVERY riding season without any effort. And I ALWAYS pack it back on in the winter. Changing my overall eating habits will hopefully stop that vicious cycle! :-)
    There are two MC riding exercise categories in the d-base... "relaxed pace" and "aggressive pace." Some people don't like to count it as exercise calories, some people do.

I log mine if it's anything more than an errand.
  • tamathi
    tamathi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ride a Ninja and it is definitely a calorie burn. You are holding all your core muscles tensed for balance and steerage and that burns calories and builds your core up. I do claim those calories burned because it is not the same as sitting idly on the couch at all. Walking at a slow pace doesn't burn too much more. Light yoga burns about the same.
  • muppetsbear
    muppetsbear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have an 01 Gold wing which weighs just under 900 lbs and a Harley sportster around 500 lbs put me on either add close to 300 more. it takes more muscle power on the gold wing especially on windy days so I can see it burning quite a few calories.
  • breezmist
    breezmist Posts: 1
    Options
    We spent 13 hours riding the Smokey mts today. The constant curves, shifting, braking, and sheer strain of keeping control on some of the hardest roads in Tennessee has left me far more exhausted and physically sore then two hours workout on my Zumba (has NEVER left me so sore!) I assure you, I burned more calories riding these roads today then I've burned working out this week. Saying motorcycle riding takes no effort and burns few calories is an unrealistic and obviously unprofessional opinion.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    funny this is up here, because i have been commuting on my bike for 90 minutes a day (royal enfield, like a triumph t-100) for the last two weeks and i was just saying it seems like i have lost weight.... i keep my legs squeezed against the gas tank, keep my core tight from the wind, lean with the turns, and lift myself when i get to the old bumpy paved areas.

ill consider it exercise :) but not add it to my diary...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    We spent 13 hours riding the Smokey mts today. The constant curves, shifting, braking, and sheer strain of keeping control on some of the hardest roads in Tennessee has left me far more exhausted and physically sore then two hours workout on my Zumba (has NEVER left me so sore!) I assure you, I burned more calories riding these roads today then I've burned working out this week. Saying motorcycle riding takes no effort and burns few calories is an unrealistic and obviously unprofessional opinion.
    I dont think it burns a lot of calories, I definately think it strengthens though.
  • dawnmarie57
    dawnmarie57 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My DH has a Harley-Electra Glide touring bike...big, heavy bike. I don't drive it, but I know he gets a workout, especially with a rider. Just keeping it upright takes a lot of core muscle strength. Yes it's easy to drive he says, but you do get a core workout if nothing else while driving. I wouldn't count riding as a passenger though as burning any calories other than your "everyday" activity calories.
  • bigjax1
    bigjax1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    there was an artical about this in a UK mag (Bike I think) a couple of summers ago
    they did a study and found that riding a motorcycle burns a huge number of calories

the 'study' was done tongue in cheek, does riding a motorcycle count as exercise? Male rider wanting to find excuse for riding and not going the gym

the results proved that riding burns a significant number of calories

thus going out on your bike should be encouraged as it is good for you... have since looked for the artical but have been unable to find it
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread. I ride all the time and know riding definitely burns a lot of calories. When I'm pushing my bike through twisty roads, it requires a lot of muscle groups working together to make that happen. Especially on a big bike. After riding, the fatigue from all that effort is obvious. This is not just burning calories like sitting in a car or sitting at your desk. Your whole body is involved. I have not found anything that provides an accurate burn rate for riding, so I go on the conservative side and count 125 calories for every hour of aggressive or difficult riding (windy, stop & go, twisty/rough roads, etc.). For normal riding, I count 100 calories per hour. This is at 200 lbs body weight.

I just got back from a 10 day trip from Houston to the Colorado Rockies, then over to Arkansas before coming home. I averaged 7 to 8 hours a day riding, not counting breaks. I ate as healthy as possible on the trip, but my daily intake was much higher than usual. I did no other exercise on the trip. When I got home, I found that I lost 3 lbs in that 10 day trip.

4-21-2012_1090b.jpg
  • Shellyyy7928
    Shellyyy7928 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has two sport bikes - an r 1 and a ninja. He stunts with the ninja. But I'd say he gets a pretty good workout on both
  • Keniplay
    Keniplay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :noway: I rode 400 miles yesterday fill a little sore today guess it is a work out.
  • modacycle
    Options
    I am so happy to see so many female riders with the same question I have, I ride an extremely front heavy HD 07 Springer and swear I get a strenght training workout everytime I stand her up or do any slow speed manuevering due to her 70 lb. front end. I've been commuting to work daily about 20-30 minutes each way and wanted to add that to my exercise tracker. Thanks for the information, especially to the Lady Rider who actually wore her FUEL band to find out.

On a side note, I'm thinking of purchasing one how is the FUEL band working out for folks?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Riding sculpted physique

fat_biker.jpg
  • acebedo58
    Options
    I have ridden my HD cross country several times and while I don't notice a weight change, I certainly notice a BIG difference in my muscle tone plus I am able to eat larger meals without packing pounds on. If you ride on straight stretches of highway or just hop down to the local bar then you probably don't use up any more calories than riding in a car. However if you are riding curvy mountain roads, you are most certainly burning up the calories as you balance and maneuver through the curves!