Just started a work out program-gained weight

Options
Hi all,

I just started a boot camp class this week and have kept my eating largely the same (if anything better-more salads and veggies, less cheese) and have found that I have gained a pound. Is this normal when starting a new intense workout? I have never felt so sore in my life!

Replies

• robingrizzle
    Options
    Yes this is normal because you are building muscle. muscle weighs more than fat.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    Hiya

Yeah I'd say this is pretty normal! Give your body time to adjust, that's the main thing. Your body (by the sounds of it) has been kick started into a new routine which will take a little time to sort itself out!

Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat, so even if you don't loose any weight over the next few weeks/months on continuing this workout, chances are you've lost inches :-)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Yes this is normal because you are building muscle. muscle weighs more than fat.

No, no, no. ARGH!:laugh: You did NOT build muscle in a week. But you have "damaged" your muscles and your body retains water to help heal/rebuild the muscle. So it's probably water weight and it will come off. Are you sore?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

No, no, no. ARGH!:laugh: You did NOT build muscle in a week. But you have "damaged" your muscles and your body retains water to help heal/rebuild the muscle. So it's probably water weight and it will come off. Are you sore?

^^^ This. It is normal to retain water after starting a new program.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Yes.
    During exercise you damage your muscles and the repair process includes retaining a bit of water.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged---keep going. It will just "fall off" eventually to reward all your hard work. :)
    :smile:
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I agree with the retaining water, your muscle needs it to repair. Muscle does not build that fast and it does not weight more than fat. It just takes up less space per pound, so looks leaner at the same weight. Muscle also does not replace fat, you lose fat and more muscle shows. Keep at it, a little water weight it to be expected.
  • fraser112
    Options

^^^ This. It is normal to retain water after starting a new program.

do you guys only count the dry weight of your muscles ?
  • Dkagan8
    Dkagan8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Haha yes, I am super sore! The program is M/T/Thu for about 50 minutes and yesterday was very painful. He did tell us to get in some cardio on Wednesday so I went to the gym and did the elliptical for 30 mins (all I could handle after those squats)! I figured it was something along those lines, but obviously anytime we start something new we want to see immediate results. I will keep with it though.

I do also know that muscle does not weigh more than fat, it just takes up less space :) There's no way I built new muscle in 2 days, but they sure are sore.

Would anyone be interested in being sort of a fitness buddy? I could use someone to talk to about eating/exercise that is not one of my skinny friends who never work out or have to worry about eating healthy!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to measure your waist. For every inch you lost, it's the equivalent of 5 lbs of fat. So muscle gain and water retention might affect the scale, but the tape measure never lies :wink:
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    when the soreness wears off your weight will drop
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options

^this again!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Water retention to help repair muscles. No real gain of "weight".