Need Help Setting Good Goals

JennyJG
JennyJG Posts: 27
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,
I am trying to figure out the best settings to figure out my BMR, using myfitnesspal's basal metabolic rate calculator.

I am a 155 pound female, 40 years old, working part-time as a database programmer and I am also raising a 10 and a 7 year old, so am pretty busy with them. When I first started out using this site a week ago, I described my normal activities as "Very Active", because I workout very hard 5 days a week or so. I also put down that I wanted to lose 1 pound a week.

I thought it was kind of easy having a goal of 1600 (or so) calories a day - I feel very satisfied, when I change it to "sedentary" - it swoops down to 1200 calories, which I can't imagine being able to handle! EEEK!

But I am wondering - is it more accurate to set my activity level to "light" or even "sedentary" because it seems to refer to activities outside of excercising?

Does anyone have any experience with needing to change their goals? Or any further insight to the best way to get your proper BMR? I don't want to be a slave to the number, but if I am not in the right balance of challenge and "do-ability" - I know I will end up discouraged.

Thanks!
Jen

Replies

• mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    I don't put my active level based on how much I work out. I mean, if you had an office job you'd put lightly right? All I can say is do not input your activity level based on your cardio. heh. Other than that I'm clueless
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    If you were satisfied at 1600 why did you decide to change it? You should go ahead and try it for a couple of weeks before changing things up. If you feel like you must change it don't go below lightly active.
  • I set mine on lightly active. I think you only use "sedentary" if you sit all day. I am a mother of 2 toddlers, and I probably qualify as "very active", but since all these calorie measurements are estimates, I didn't want to overestimate and not see any progress. I get around 1,200 calories each day, but then I get to add in the calories from my 3 mile run each morning (about 330). The 1,500 calories have been more than enough. Some days I've been hungrier than others, but I'm noticing the combination of foods I eat makes a huge difference. When I eat healthy, nutrient-packed foods with ample protein, I make it thru the day more than satisfied. Too many carbs and sugar always make me hungrier. Since I started this program at the beginning of the month I've seen great progress. If you have your goals set correctly and you don't cheat, you will see progress, too. Just don't forget that on the days you exercise you get to eat those calories because your daily goal has already calculated in a deficit for you. Blessings!
  • JennyJG
    Agreed! That's very helpful. The important thing I am noticing is that I am eating more thoughtfully. I never realized how many calories were in the foods I was eating. I am definitely eating less. And I think about whether I want 300 calories to be satisfied by an avocado and almond salad or a Pop-Tart. Pop-Tart? Not worth it. You know what I mean.

Since my workouts are generally burning between 600 and 700 calories, my goal feels right and my weight is budging. I am not interested in losing more than 1-2 pounds a week. I don't want to be sick, I want to be lighter and go easier on my heart!

And kudos to you for running 3 miles every morning. I am sure your kids appreciate you being able to keep up with them on top of the good you're doing for your health.

Keep on keepin' on, Mom!
  • JennyJG
    lll
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    graves, I wrote this up a little while back, it seems like you could use it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits?hl=Guide+to+Calorie+Deficit

best luck to you. This should answer your questions.

FYI, BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate doesn't really change much with weight (it changes more with age and activity, but not a ton with weight), and it isn't something you set. It's essentially the minimum calories your body needs in order to function not taking into account daily activity and the thermic effect of food. I.E. it's what your organs need to survive daily. It's usually between 65 and 75% of your daily maintenance weight. It's not something you should concern yourself with at this point, it's just something to know about. For most people trying to use BMR as their calorie point is a very loose way to try to lose weight, you really should try to fit your goals to what catagory you are in and work from that respect (see my above post).
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I would probably set it at sedentary and eat the exercise cals. 1200 is the lowest number you can eat so I wouldn't start there. I did and lost a lot very quickly. Then I hit a plateau that I had to break through by exercising more and eating more cals.
This discussion has been closed.