Temptation distraction techniques

Options
Evening all, anyone got any good distraction techniques for when that urge comes along to reach for the biscuit tin, or bag of crisps. At the moment I am taking a lot of long baths (biscuits and crisps would be soggy in there), reading more, jigsaw puzzles and going to bed earlier, to avoid those times when I would have snacked.

Looking for some more top tips on things to do when will power starts to slip! :smile:

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Exercise.

Keep your hands busy.

Have sex.
  • nomorepud
    Options
    LOL - this would be after all the exercise and sex!!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I verbalise my conscience, ie say out loud 'stop Kim, you don't need it'. Maybe crazy but it usually works. Journaling is good too - focus on your achievements and it makes you less likely to give in to temptation.
  • Katie22222
    Katie22222 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Studying, or using your brain :P. On days when I study, I forget to eat all day. Also, I would never even keep crisps or biscuits in the house...you should never eat them.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Keep your mind busy or drink wateror if you have a sweet tooth have a piece of fruit or piece of bubble gum :)
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I agree.....water....gum....walk!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It's all about finding something else to occupy your brain. I went to Joann Fabrics on Monday and got a bunch of yarn, and started doing some knitting/crocheting. It's something to keep the hands busy, and occupy the mind.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Exercise!!! As a special treat I bought cinnabon home for my hubby....last night I wanted one SOOOO bad so I said ok, I'll do a quick 30 minute workout and enjoy my hard earned reward.....well...after my workout I was so tired and sore...I couldnt even imagine eating that stupid thing I had worked so hard for! hahahaha....
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    -have a cup of hot tea (or coffee or other alternative that suits)
    -go for a walk
    -remind yourself that you can have whatever it is you're craving tomorrow, and that just because it's there, and you like it, doesn't mean you have to eat it (look into mindfulness and learning to feel things ie. cravings, without having to give in to them.)
    -practise resistance by putting it off for 10mins, then half an hour, then an hour etc. The more you practise, the easier it becomes to resist
    -if all else fails, and you find that you're always craving something at a certain time (eg in the evening) then simply allocate a portion of calories each day for that specific thing. I used to find it hard to get through the evening without any "treats". I started saving some of my calories for that, and having some chocolate, or a biscuit, or whatever every day. Now, I know I can have it, but I don't always want it. It's always an option, and I no longer feel the overwhelming craving, because I know that whatever I'm craving isn't completely off-limits. (Obviously I still keep it in an appropriate portion size for my goals, and use the other techniques for the occasions when I'm tempted to go over that.)
  • nomorepud
    Options
    Thank you all - some top tips, a lot of which I am already working on, but thanks for all the extras x