Is there a age limit on when to start using protein shakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I was drinking plain whey when I was 15 and lifting for football with no ill effects.

I'd recommend NOT getting anything full of chemicals, just some plain old whey protein to supplement that, if that's what you want.

Personally, I would not give my children anything other than that and a lot of food.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend who was advised by her doctor to add protein powder to her son's milk when he was only 2 or 3. He had some sensory development holdups, wouldn't eat solid food, and until they could get it figured out with therapy, they wanted to at least make sure he was getting some nutrients. I do think that maybe advising the young lady to ask her doctor about it wouldn't be a bad place to start, but as long as the shakes are used responsibly, and not to replace meals (young girls are so vulnerable to ED), I don't think there would be an issue.
    I'm not a doctor, or a dietitian, just relating my personal experience and opinion on the matter.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have a young girl who works with me at Powerplate..she's very much into fitness and tends to look up to me ( why, I'm not sure but! ) and she knows I use protein shakes and she likes the fact I'm the only female that uses it as the other female trainer thinks she's gonna turn into the hulk if she takes it as she thinks protein is a no no in a diet :noway:
    This girl is nearly 16, I've said to eat more chicken, beans etc but she's adamant but I'm sure there's a age limit to when you can start having shakes?
    Why would there be an age limit on protein?

It's because when I've got mine there is a sign in the shop saying people under the age of 16 aren't permitted to buy it.

My guess is that that sign is up for cover the behind of the owners--not for any well-founded biological reason (that may or may not exist). Here at least, I can buy a variety of protein supplements at the grocery store. I think your advice to get protein from food is good advice, but have you asked her why she wants to supplement with powder? Is she tracking her protein intake and consistently coming up short? Does she think it will perform some sort of miracle, etc.? If she has what seems to you like a good reason for wanting to supplement protein with shakes, I would advise her to talk to her parents and/or healthcare provider about it. This gets you off the hook, and it's really the more appropriate route anyway.

As others have said, assuming she is getting a well-balanced diet, and the shakes are just providing a little extra protein, I don't see an issue, but I am not an expert.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have her talk to a nutritionist first.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I was drinking plain whey when I was 15 and lifting for football with no ill effects.

I'd recommend NOT getting anything full of chemicals, just some plain old whey protein to supplement that, if that's what you want.

Personally, I would not give my children anything other than that and a lot of food.

I agree that avoiding some of the more additive-laden supplements is a good idea, but I wanted to point out that there are options other than whey that are not "full of chemicals." For example, pea, brown rice, and hemp protein are all available in relatively plain forms, and given that they don't come from conventional dairy cattle that spend their lives being pumped full of hormones, antibiotics, etc. are probably less full of chemicals.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think it's because she knows I use it..but I have mine purely to help with my workouts. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be wanting to use them for any other reason but she wants to help build muscle. She does workout pretty well and she just wants them to supplement her diet but I did say its best to get it from food.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I not sure how I feel about a 16 year old going to someone besides their parents for health advice. I'm not trying to be mean it just "not right" for a child to be worrying about nutrition like that. But on another note my kids get protein shakes they are 6, 4, 2. For my older kids it was to gain weight for my youngest it because she has a hard time getting protein from meats (natural vegetarian) she does hard boiled eggs and beans but needs the change sometimes. I also of course do not give them the full serving ever. That's to much and they do not need that. I don't think a 16 yo should be taking a full serving all at once.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There should be no reason for an age limit on protein shakes. Any kid can walk into the local smoothie shop and have protein added to their smoothie, which isn't that different. I agree that directing her towards food first is great, but if she is determined to supplement, she is going to regardless of your help. Better to direct her to a quality product than leave her to the sales rep or internet. With the amount of soda and junk food most teens consume, it's great that she is focused on her health.

And for those concerned about a sixteen year old asking for advice from someone other than her parents, seriously? Do you remember what it was like to be sixteen? Or have you been around teens lately? Sixteen is almost an adult. I've coached a highschool dance team for the past four years, and these girls deal with alot of grown up stuff these days. What protein shake to use is nothing by comparison to some of it! Even those with great relationships with their parents need other adults in their lives that they trust for advice.