does my job count as a work-out?

Options
i work stock at a pottery barn, so i am running up and down stairs, lifting tables and chairs and heavy boxes, and walking around for an 8 shift at a time, with an hour break in the middle. this should count as a work out on days i work, yes?

Replies

• CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too, I'm on my feet for 8 hours straight at my new job, running back and forth, I don't sit down at all except at lunch, and I'm bouncing, running, jumping, etc and playing with the kids to get them to smile for their pictures and moving around quite a bit in the camera room. My activity level is set for lightly active on the site right now, but I have a hard time deciding if that guide is correct or if my job is burning more than I think.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What I would do if I were you would be to change the info in my settings, saying I am "lightly active" or "active."
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    i'm not sure i would count it. I would just say your lifestyle is more active. youre not sedentary. I wondered the same thing. I'm a CNA student and I am constantly carrying heavy things, lifting people, pushing wheel chairs and i'm not allowed to sit down at all during a 5 hour shift. so I just changed my lifestyle settings.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    My guess is that it really depends upon how many days and for how long you work in these jobs. If you perform these jobs for 4-5 days a week, I think you could safely set it as an activity level and then count other exercise above and beyond that. If you only work at them for a couple days a week, probably better to log it.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would count it as just your activity level, exercise is anything you do above and beyond. Just like I do not believe in counting grocery shopping or cleaning the house as forms of exercise. If I was doing it while I was over weight and I did not lose weight doing it, it is not exercise.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? Why don't you wear that thing all day and see how many calories you burn then add that to your BMR and calculate backwards to determine your lifestyle.
  • freedMan
    freedMan Posts: 68
    Options
    I would suggest setting your daily activity to active and only logging your excercise. If you log every little thing and where a HRM all day, you will become overly obsessed! Just log your intentional excercise and you will be more sane and succesful!