How important is variety??

Options
Hi all! OK, variety is my question. I tend to stick to certain staples in my daily diet, and don't usually change it up much. Is varitety important? Now, by variety I don't mean variety througout the day (I already do that). I mean variety on a weekly/daily basis. As in, is it ok to eat the same stuff almost daily provided you're getting a well-rounded diet?

I don't usually get bored with it, I'm losing but was wondering about optimization for health and such.

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you will stick to. From a scientific perspective, no, it's not important. But from a practical perspective, if you can eat the same foods every day and hit your targets to reach your goals, then variety is not important. If you get bored of foods and need to change it up to keep it interesting, then variety is important to keep you on track.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life! I always try new recipes and different combinations to shake things up. Try going to Google and typing in different cuts of meat and such and looking up different recipes. That's what I do.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you will stick to. From a scientific perspective, no, it's not important. But from a practical perspective, if you can eat the same foods every day and hit your targets to reach your goals, then variety is not important. If you get bored of foods and need to change it up to keep it interesting, then variety is important to keep you on track.

^^ This

As long as you are hitting your micro-nutirent and macro-nutrient goals, eating foods that allow for a healthy lifestly, and you see the results that you want, then variety is not essential. Meal variety is a personal decision not a scientific necessity. But to reiterate, you just need to be sure that you are getting the correct nutrients for your body (i.e. the "well rounded diet" that you mentioned).
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    If it aint broke, dont fix it!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to eat a variety of foods on different days. So if you have blueberries in your oatmeal today, maybe tomorrow, put some raisins in there. I think variety is most important nutritionally for fruits & vegetables.

For example, you could just eat 3 servings of green beans, an apple, and a banana every day and you'd be getting 5 servings of fruits & veggies, but you're going to be much better off if you mix it up with oranges, broccoli, peppers, mangoes, carrots, eggplant, pears, berries, spinach, etc.
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the same things day in and day out. I find that when I have new foods, I tend to overeat them. That's just me, but I agree with FitBeto's comment--if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you're meeting your nutritional needs it is probably ok from a physical health perspective. From a "keeping yourself sane" perspective I would just make sure to ask yourself if you're eating the same foods because you are afraid that if you add some variety you will stop losing weight or if you're making "food rules" and arbitrarily eliminating things (or entire food groups) from your diet.

I"m not saying AT ALL that it sounds like you are doing that! Just one more thing to think about. The goal is to lose weight but also teach yourself how to eat healthy in all kinds of situations, like at friend's homes, restaurants, when you unexpectedly work late or when you can't control exactly what you're eating. It could be that if you're eating the same thing every day you're not training yourself in those other ways.

Good luck--it sounds like you are meeting some of your goals already!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    By not having some variety you are likelier to miss out on micro-nutrients.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Hi all! OK, variety is my question. I tend to stick to certain staples in my daily diet, and don't usually change it up much. Is varitety important? Now, by variety I don't mean variety througout the day (I already do that). I mean variety on a weekly/daily basis. As in, is it ok to eat the same stuff almost daily provided you're getting a well-rounded diet?

I don't usually get bored with it, I'm losing but was wondering about optimization for health and such.

I read somewhere that people who stick to the same foods are more likely to succeed at their weight loss goal because it's easier to just go into a supermarket and pick up exactly what you want. Certainly, it is working for me - I buy the same range every time. I know exactly where to go and do not need to think about things or plan things. Sometimes I do change items, of course, for instance if what I want is unavailable.

Obviously, I'm not saying you should do something like eat 3 apples at each meal for 6 months - anyone who even thought I meant that, please slap yourself and read up on "straw man". ;)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Ieat alot of the samethings...I try to change up some veggies. They all have different vitamins in them.

Good luck
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting all your vitamins and you are losing weight why change up the diet? Unless you are bored of your routine it is so much easier to track your calories when you eat similar meals.

I tend to eat the same meals every day. For breakfast I have a protein shake or eggs or oatmeal and greek yogurt. For lunch it is always some combination of soup and salad or meat and veggies. Dinner is always meat and veggies or soup and a salad. For snacks I alterrnate between almonds, cheese, cold cuts, fruit and yogurt.
  • skinnyforhi
    Options
    I read that too actually about people losing more weight if they eat the same things. And I also read that if you eat the same thing you stop eating sooner becaue you get bored of your food so you stop when you are satisfied. That would probably never happen to me though--I love food too much!
  • sortasandy
    Options
    I generally eat the same few breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks. I volunteered to have a grad student majoring in nutrition and dietetics review my food logs. She said I was doing well overall, but recommended adding in variety, as there were random micronutrients I tend to miss (thiamin, niacin, zinc).

If you feel like adding variety will cause you problems with your calorie goals, you could always add in a multivitamin. The nutrition student said they most likely just give you expensive pee, but my doctor says taking one likely won't hurt anything.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Interesting that the majority of the Men that respond say variety is not important, and the majority of women that respond say that it is.
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies! It's not really about being scared to eat outside of what I do, it's more for convenience sake than anything else. I don't have to spend time thinking about what I'm going to eat, don't have to worry about going over my calories, don't have to worry about working in certain extra nutrients. I take supplements as well, I just don't track them because I'm lazy.
  • skinnyforhi
    Options
    Thank you for your replies! It's not really about being scared to eat outside of what I do, it's more for convenience sake than anything else. I don't have to spend time thinking about what I'm going to eat, don't have to worry about going over my calories, don't have to worry about working in certain extra nutrients. I take supplements as well, I just don't track them because I'm lazy.

It sounds like you have it under control! And I can sympathize with not having a lot of time to meal plan--you def have to have a plan that works for YOU. Good luck!