It's just water weight!!!!

Options

Replies

• Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm grasping for straws here but I think she is referring to when people have a big loss and the phrase it's just water weight comes into play. I know I use the phrase to describe why everytime I restart the eating better or dieting journey (whatever people want to call it) I see huge losses 5-10 lbs in 2 weeks and then it slows to the normal 1-2 a week.
    And why is everyone so quick to discount someone who may not ask a question the EXACT way we want to hear it...... bullies!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Excessive water retention helps kills people everyday!! Its called edema. Morbidly obese people fight it daily. So do people with heart conditions. So when they lose 10 - 15 lbs in their first weeks of weight loss and people tell them its just water weight. They feel a little defeated, when that water is just as important to get off as fat. This journey is not just about fat loss, its about getting your whole body in tune. So no, no troll here. Study and get back to me. :tongue:

I do understand the point. I began with a ketogenic diet because I knew it would be diuretic and glycogen depleting which, in turn, was enough of an initial loss to allow me to begin walking comfortably when I was morbidly obese. That first whoosh was as important as any part of my 109 pound loss.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    OP: Perhaps you should do a little research yourself before posting something so outrageous.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/edema/page2_em.htm
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And why is everyone so quick to discount someone who may not ask a question the EXACT way we want to hear it...... bullies!

1. She did not ask any question at all. She made a statement.

2. Really? Come on.
  • Evilsick
    Evilsick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's just bloating, Not 'waterweight' it's bloat.
    You're eating too much if you have 'water weight.'
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I'm dying over here. To compare edema which stems from other bodily diseases such as CHF and PVD to the water weight people most refer to here after eating or working out are not one in the same. But whatever makes you sleep at night!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of this is true, but I'm going to panic just in case.

winning
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Can we classify edema a little better here???? Dieter's edema is not the same thing as pulmonary edema or cerebral edema for crying out loud.....

With dieter's edema the body holds onto water to replace fat loss in the fat cells. And it's pretty normal for most dieter's to experience this. Some people call it the "whoosh" effect. No weight loss, no weight loss, then WHOOSH, weight loss when the body finally gets rid of the excess water and fat cells.
    Dieter's edema is the reason for the saying "weight loss is not linear".

And I have to disagree...all weight is not created equal. Fat weight is WAY worse for you than water weight and to think otherwise is foolish. Or by following the same mantra you are pushing of weight is weight, then why not water weight = fat weight = muscle weight? I guess no one needs to worry about being fat since all weight is created equal.
  • cedarghost
    Options
    As a nurse I'm dying over here. To compare edema which stems from other bodily diseases such as CHF and PVD to the water weight people most refer to here after eating or working out are not one in the same. But whatever makes you sleep at night!
    Thank you, you intelligent creature. :)
  • seijasmom
    Options
    Re: severe edema, think of a balloon overinflating, the skin will burst causing weeping ulcers...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Excessive water retention helps kills people everyday!! Its called edema. Morbidly obese people fight it daily. So do people with heart conditions. So when they lose 10 - 15 lbs in their first weeks of weight loss and people tell them its just water weight. They feel a little defeated, when that water is just as important to get off as fat. This journey is not just about fat loss, its about getting your whole body in tune. So no, no troll here. Study and get back to me. :tongue:

My dad had severe edema when he died, and it made him miserably uncomfortable. In his case, the heart disease caused the edema, not the other way around. His cardiologist told us that. Any way you cut it, edema is not a symptom of good health.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    So I'm going to die from the 2lbs of bloat that happens when I eat potatoes? But.... :(

There is obviously a massive, massive difference between being bloated and having edema, for pete's sake.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think water weight is dismissed because it's so easily replaced. Eat something high in sodium or work your muscles hard, and you will retain water again.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    Another MFP thread quickly devolves from an inability to contextualize. No surprise there.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I do understand the point. I began with a ketogenic diet because I knew it would be diuretic and glycogen depleting which, in turn, was enough of an initial loss to allow me to begin walking comfortably when I was morbidly obese. That first whoosh was as important as any part of my 109 pound loss.
    Thank you! This was what I was saying. When that pain in your feet goes away, when that pressure in your knees lessens, when your breathing better and when you notice those ulcers around your ankles start to heal. This all starts in that first week when you lose all the "water weight "!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

Thank you! This was what I was saying. When that pain in your feet goes away, when that pressure in your knees lessens, when your breathing better and when you notice those ulcers around your ankles start to heal. This all starts in that first week when you lose all the "water weight "!

Yes. Your main and probably only point wasn't lost on me.
  • tigerlily132
    Options
    1352913601.jpg

i didn't kill anybody!!!! lol thanks for the morning laugh

p.s
    when i read about the drownings i spit my water out
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of this is true, but I'm going to panic just in case.

This is my favorite quote of the day. I might use it later if that's okay?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Still waiting for the info on how water retention causes an H. pylori infection.

Edit: I see you have since said ankle ulcers... that would have been a nice distinction.
  • cedarghost
    Options
    People would be better off focusing on body composition than weight anyway.