suggested sugar intake - seriously?

Options
xilka
xilka Posts: 308 Member
I don't eat sweets.
I have 3 coffees a day with 1 tiny teaspoon of sugar in each.
I have 1 dessert after dinner. Homemade, so not too sweet.
I may or may not have some fruit or a tbsp of jam on toast for breakfast.

But I end up with a sugar intake double of what is suggested by MFP, on most days.
How can this be?
Are all of you really eating THAT little sugar?
I'd have to keep it to the sugar in my coffee to not go over. No fruit, no jam, no dessert. :huh:

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    How does all of your other stuff look? If everything else is in line I wouldn't sweat it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm over every day by a significant amount. Unless you're diabetic, or eating straight table sugar, you're likely fine.
  • seejulesrun
    seejulesrun Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I searched the posts for this because I was having the same problem. But most of it is because I eat a banana every morning which is more than half of my allotted sugar intake. I get blood tests every so often for another condition and they always let me know how my blood sugar is. It's always in normal range or a little low, so I wouldn't worry. :)
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I think the main problem with going over is if its added sugar. If its naturally occurring sugar like that in fruits it doesn't matter so much. Plus if you're under your calorie goal anyways don't sweat it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm eating that low but then I had to give up the sugar in my coffee, jam and the like to get there. Most people don't think life is worth living without those foods or even see the point of restricting sugar that low to begin with. So far it's been worth it for me though. I feel better, don't get cravings or need to eat in between meals and I love that fruit is a delicious indulgence now.
  • rainbowbrite900
    rainbowbrite900 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So glad that it's not just me! My breakfast - Allbran, fruit, muesli (low sugar) and milk takes me to about half the recommended intake of sugar. I was beginning to think that I'd spent my whole life consuming ridiculous amounts of sugar. I don't even put sugar in coffee...
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I ate greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom, 21g sugar in that beast, but 0 fat. I saw the sugar after I was halfway through it and thought, I really could have half a can of that full throttle energy drink this morning, same amout of sugar. Then I realized I was stupid and wouldn't get the buttload of protein from it, so I kept eating. It was a good day...
  • emilymonnig
    Options
    I'm on a low carb diet (I have a really slow metabolism and possibly the most sedentary job EVER), so I generally don't go over 25g of sugar. I thought it would be harder, but since I've stopped eating so much sugar - and believe me, I was eating as much sugar as I could squeeze into my calories - I've stopped being SO hungry all the time. I'm eating a lot of protein, so I'm full most of the time. After a few days, I stopped even wanting sugary stuff, which I thought was impossible. I don't want to go the rest of my life without another slice of cherry pie, but if I have to watch what I'm eating anyway, I figure I might as well cut out the stuff that's making me crave unhealthy food. But that's me, and I'm weird. :)
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I searched for this topic also, I thought it was just me. Even on days when I don't indulge in my 1 can or 1 bottle of pepsi next, I'm still over my sugar intake. I've been eating fruit for snacks lately, so at least it's the good sugar I guess.
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't diabetic and most of your sugar is actually coming from whole foods (IE, fruit) I think you're fine.