Spaghetti Squash help please!

Options
kit_katty
kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
So last week I baked my first spaghetti squash and it turned out great! However yesterday I thought I did mostly the same thing and half of it was mush and the other half was really undercooked. Though they were from two different stores, they were about the same size, just over three lbs... Here's what I did:

- washed
- cut off the top (to make cutting it in half easier)
- cut it in half length wise
- first time I put half a cup of water in the dish with the squash, second time I didn't...
- put the squash cut side down in the pan
- cooked for about 30 min, tried to cut in
- first time I put it in say for an extra 10 min, second time actually I did the same...
- first time was at 375, second time was at 350...

I see the differences but how did I end up with half mush and half raw the second time!? Does anyone do anything differently?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I don't add any water. Just put the halves cut side up right on the rack.
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've only used a spaghetti squash a couple of times but had no problem with it. I cut it in half like you did and put the cut sides down in a pan, no water, and baked it at 350 but don't remember for how long, probably 30-45 min. Turned out fine.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I use the microwave. 15 min on hi. Always comes out nice.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't add any water. Just put the halves cut side up right on the rack.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of doing it that way. How far down is the rack from the top element? Half way? I've been putting mine on the top rack which is about a third of the way from the top...

And thanks!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I poke holes in mine with a fork, nuke it for anywhere from 8-16 minutes depending on the size.(last very large one took 10, then 4 minutes) you know its done when you poke at it and the skin sinks in! faster, tastes the same, and you can rotate in microwave if you don't have a turntable.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Does it ever turn out so it is more noodle like? The only time I tried it it was a little "crunchy" imo. Like I could feel myself bite it, and I wanted it to be very soft like I make spaghetti noodles.
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I poke mine with a skewer a bunch and then put it in the oven whole (no water, on a pan to catch any possible drips) on the top shelf, but not too high, at 350* for 45 – 60 minutes, until it’s squishy when I poke it with a finger. Mine are always a little crunchy, never as soft as pasta noodles, but I’ve never had one go mushy, so maybe I’m not cooking them quite long enough.
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have found to get it less "crunchy" if you half it, add about 1 inch of water in a dish, put it squash side down in the water and bake at 350 for an hour it is pretty good for a small/medium sized squash. I think the water helps to steam it a bit, after a couple failed attempts, that is the best i've had it!