Cold?

Options
I have heard that after a large weight loss, people complain about being cold all the time. does this only happen when you are down to a "normal" weight, or does it begin earlier? I have lost 48 pounds. Still have a long way to go, but the past month, I have been cold all the time, when before I was never cold.

Anyone else experience this while still far from their goal?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It can happen at any time during weight loss. I lost 11 pounds on MFP (stalled, but now switching to gaining muscle) and am freezing almost all the time.
  • revpeg
    revpeg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have always been warmer than my husband and kids and could keep the heat nice and low in the winter. This year I weigh35 pounds less than last fall, and I am definitely chillier. I guess my 'natural insulation' has diminished.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have lost just over 100 pounds, but I still have a ways to go. I am FREEZING! In fact, I talked to my doctor about it when I went for a phsyical a couple of weeks ago. He said it was more than likely due to the weight loss, because my body is having to adjust to not having so much insulation. He did blood tests to make sure my iron level,etc was not low, as that can sometimes cause you to be cold. But all my levels were great. So it's just the missing fat causing the problem. I have just learne to bundle up, and wear layers, something I certainly never would have done previously!!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Before I starting losing weight, I really was starting to think I was premenapausal and having hot flashes. The slightest thing would make me sweat. Now, 3 months later, I am frozen all the time. My hands are cold, I just feel chilled to the bone all the time More so at night then during the day. I have been told there are several reasons for this.

1. Thyroid. Over and Under Active Thyorid will cause heat and cold intolerance
    2. Changes in your metabolism from losing weight and exercising
    3. Some people have also told me that means the body is in starvation mode from not eating enough.
    4. Less body fat, let "insulation".

So I guess you can take your pick as to what you want to believe.