B12 Deficiency emergency?

Options
Hi all,

I had weight loss surgery just over 15 months ago. I had the Lap Band, so I don't have malabsorbtion issues like those who had RNY, gastric bypass surgery. (I''m a 40 year old married mother of six. I'm not a smoker, drinker, or use any drugs)
I've lost 102 lbs and I'm only 12 lbs from my ultimate goal. I couldn't be happier. I'm more confident, active and athletic and a better wife and mother...because I'm pleased and proud of myself.
However, over the past 15 months, I've been struggling with improper nutrition. My diet has been essentially void of any fruits or veggies or adequete protein. I have been surviving on foods that have limited or no nutritional value whatsoever for a very long time. The choices for these foods being eaten are whether they will pass through the band without geting uncomfortable or stuck.
When the feeling of pressure comes to me, I don't hesitate to throw up to relieve the pressure. I induce the throwing up myself.
Lately, I've been having unusual sensations throughout areas of my body, in my back, my fingers and toes, etc. It could be described as numbness or pressure, even itchiness and cold.
I thought the cold fingers and toes were related to my weight loss and being unable to control my body temperature at my new weight, but all these symptoms and sensations may now be attributed to a B12 deficiency.
I have just heard from my GP that I do have a "slight" deficiency. He asked me to began taking B12. Some information that I've read says that nerve involvement could mean the deficiency is moderate to severe and if the symptoms have been going on for a long time, the nerve damage could be permanent.
I've also read that a B12 deficiency is anemia.
I'm terribly confused and don't know what all of this means.
could anyone please shed some light?
Thanks,
A

Replies

• turtle080808
    Options
    I had Regular gastric bypass 5 yrs ago. shortly after....maybe about 4 months or 5 months....my legs went half numb. i had to see a neurologist and go to physical therapy. ended up being B12 defiency. i had to give myself shots in the leg for a while. so it might be that. dont ignore it though. my feet still feel numb to this day but i was lucky and didnt suffer long term damage
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    I have had blood problems for about 5 years now. B12 deficiency isnt usually something that can be cured with a few vitamins. I had dozens and dozens of injections. it can present as anemia because theres a type of anemia that comes from a lack of vitamin B. If you feel like something isnt right go to the dr. If you dont think the dr is addressing your concerns properly get a second opinion. your blood is nothing to mess with. its miserable! the blood controls everything. and if one little thing is off everything is off. please see a dr and dont just get advice online!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    If you feel you may need B12 - use the B12 dots... a tab that goes under your tongue… your body will use what it needs of it and you will pass the rest so no concerns of over-doing it. This will at least give you some comfort until you can get this sorted out with your doctor. :flowerforyou:
  • AvivaJaye
    AvivaJaye Posts: 10
    Options
    turtle 080808,
    thank you for your thoughts. I should have added that I have been referred for a neuro consult and saw him late last week. He's ordered a CT scan and took many vials of blood for lab tests. then he's asked me to come back in two weeks to discuss the lab results. Being from canada, I have no idea how long it will take to get the scan, but then again I really don't know if a CT scan will show anything if it is a B12 deficiency like it seems right now.
    Anyway, I wish I knew how to post a picture on this thread to show an example of the weird numbness I've been experiencing lately....my fingers (almost all of my left ring finger, half of the middle finger and about a third of the index finger) suddenly went dead white, numb and painful. It took over an hour for the colour to come back. I shot pics with my blackberry camera and showed the neurologist. he said, "yeah, that IS weird".
    bedside manner much?.....not much.
    Aviva
  • AvivaJaye
    Options
    betty,
    thank you! I'll check out those dots!
    Aviva
    p.s...congrats on your loss!
  • AvivaJaye
    Options
    kas1021,
    curious to know how difficult the injections are...painful? how often are they required? (weekly? monthly?)
    is anemia always associated?
    thanks for your guidance!
    Aviva
  • turtle080808
    Options
    the injections were painful for me. B12 is thick so it was a thick needle and hurt going in. i did the injections every day
  • AvivaJaye
    Options
    hey turtle080808,
    that was exactly what I didn't want to hear. I'm such a wimp...but we'll see what comes of it.
    thanks for filling me in,
    A
  • mattysmom
    mattysmom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a b12 deficiency also that was just recently diagnosed. I went to the Dr. for severe fatigue and numbness in my feet and legs. She had me start taking shots and I'm not even a week in to my daily shots and I already feel a marked improvement. My right leg from the knee down was completely numb and now I can feel my calf and part of the top of my foot. If you are taking it for nerve control do so!!! It will make all the weird tingles and numbness leave and you will feel a big energy difference in your whole body. I have to do a shot a day for the first week, then once a week for a month then once a month for 3 months then I can switch to pills. Mine was super super low thou...like in the low 100's
  • mattysmom
    Options
    Taking my shot doesn't hurt at all, the need is thin and the liquid I have is not that thick at all, I barely even feel it.
  • mattysmom
    Options
    And your b12 level will show when the Dr. gets your blood results back.