Help - Hip Pain

Options
I'm looking for a bit of advice and Google has been a bit contradictory.

I've been having hip flexor pain when I first move around after a period of rest for the last week and its gradually getting better since I took the hint and stopped exercising. It came on gradually after a session rather then an explosive accident in the gym.

I've been on regular Ibuprofen for the past few days to combat the inflammation and taking warm baths and gently stretching it.

Assuming its a pulled muscle rather then tendonitis how long after the pain subsides should I leave it before resuming exercise and if it keeps hurting how long should I leave it before going to the Doctor.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Replies

• Kara1031
    Kara1031 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had hip pain for several years with genetically weak hips. My hips would ache so bad that even sleeping on my side or sitting would be uncomfortable.

I began exercise regularly four years ago and the hip pain was awful. Any running or impact exercise would keep me awake at night with the pain.

I added some supplements of glucosamine and magnesium. My hip pain is now non-existent even after heavy exercise. The magnesium I supplement with a combination of capsules, magnesium oil and epsom salt baths. If I have soreness from a workout, I will take an epsom salt bath to help relax my muscles. If I am generally feeling like I do not need a soak, I make sure to take a capsule twice a day and separate times of day or use the oil.

I have also added foam rolling prior to exercise. I love my foam roller. I initially purchased the small one due to the price and loved it so much that it was worth purchasing the larger one. I have the firmest one with the spokes so it get into the muscle. My hips are very sensitive to deep massage and although I still have to use the smaller less firm roller it is less and less painful to use. I highly recommend having these at home to treat muscles. My son is an athlete and he has improved his flexibility in his hamstrings by breaking up the scar tissue build up in his hamstrings.

I hope you find relief soon. I know for me, my problem is a weakness and not an injury.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. Thought it was old age!

Stretching helps immediately, but I'd love to hear some more long-term solutions.