Spin Class

Options
I just started spin class two weeks ago. I am losing weight but I can't see much of a change on my mid section. I used to do all sorts of aerobics and felt like my mid section was getting a workout. I don't in spin. I I am wondering if anyone else who does spin can tell me if I will eventually see a difference or if I will have to do something else to see change quicker there.

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Losing fat from your midsection is a result of losing fat over your entire body. No exercise that you do, regardless of what it works, will cause your midsection to lose fat.

Now that said, spinning won't work your abs at all.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Losing fat from your midsection is a result of losing fat over your entire body. No exercise that you do, regardless of what it works, will cause your midsection to lose fat.

Agreed.

And, you've only been exercising for 2 weeks? Change your expectations - you aren't going to get instant results, no matter what exercise you do.
  • khl84
    khl84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Actually I have lost 8 lbs and I'm happy with that. I am not expecting a big change quickly but I am not feeling ANY change in my midsection and just wondering if spin is enough to see a change or I need another form of exercise to see more of an impact there
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Actually I have lost 8 lbs and I'm happy with that. I am not expecting a big change quickly but I am not feeling ANY change in my midsection and just wondering if spin is enough to see a change or I need another form of exercise to see more of an impact there

You can't spot reduce. You will lose the fat from your midsection as you continue to lose weight and reduce body fat. No ab work required.
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I second those comments about spot-reducing. When you spin, you are supposed to hold your torso in a certain way to work on sculpting abs some--ask your instructor for some tips on body positioning to support your goal about your abs. I also do spin classes that include weights & stretching, which makes me feel like I'm doing more whole-body exercise.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    spinning works the core. it depends on the instructor of course.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Here's my experience with spinning....:happy:

I have been Spinning since April (with some weights and Zumba sprinkled in) and over those 7 months I have noticed around my ribs that I can actually SEE my ribs for the first time in my life.

Personally, it took me about two months of spinning/eating right before I saw anything happen. The first thing I noticed were how nice my legs and thighs were looking due to the lifts and climbs of the class. Then somewhere around August I noticed that my abs were there, still under a fluffy layer but actually coming through. Still working on that.

I actually take a STAR class which is spin, weights, abs and stretch. I don't know if your gym has something like that but that has helped with my abs tremendously.

P.S. Also if your entire body isn't screaming after class, I'd try another instructor. Some are better than others.

Hope this is helpful.
  • khl84
    khl84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you....that is what I was looking for!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

P.S. Also if your entire body isn't screaming after class, I'd try another instructor. Some are better than others.

Hope this is helpful.

If another instructor isn't an option, just modify their instructions to make it harder. One of the best parts of spinning is you can tailor it.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options

Respectfully disagree. A good spin class has you out of the saddle for a large part of the class and you are definitely working your abs when you are not seated.