Eat before or after working out?

Options
Do you think it is better to eat an hour or so before gymming of after?

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do both.

Some small light carbs about 30 mins before.
    A bigger protein-filled meal after.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Either, neither, or both is fine, whatever helps your perform better.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If i'm hungry before my workout I eat
    If I'm hungry after my workout I eat

I prefer to keep it simple
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference thing. YOu just have to see what works best for you.

Me, I usually go with a banana and a gatorade before and then a protein shake after.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I do both. My work out time is 7 pm every night. I eat dinner around 5:15, I let it settle from 6-7 and then I work out. Usually work out for about an hour, or so. Around 8:30 or 9:00, I'll have a "light snack" (apple, granola bar, banana) etc.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Huh? That's crazy talk.

In what bodybuilding magazine did you read this bogus information?
  • playitagainsam
    playitagainsam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it might be a personal thing. For me, if I eat something before I work out, I feel nauseated during the workout and just want to quit. But, I do have a protein shake just before I workout. Because I workout after work each day, I usually then eat dinner after my work out. Same when I workout on the weekends. I get up, have a protein shake, work out and then have breakfast. Seems to be working for me.
  • tgeiger777
    tgeiger777 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    currently, research states 150 calorie carb snack before & a 150 calorie protein snack after. Now, you know you need to check for yourself. Don't ever just take advise without doing your own research. Also, things change all the time. Do what is best for you. Whatever it takes for you to perform at your very best is right thing to do.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    currently, research states 150 calorie carb snack before & a 150 calorie protein snack after. Now, you know you need to check for yourself. Don't ever just take advise without doing your own research. Also, things change all the time. Do what is best for you. Whatever it takes for you to perform at your very best is right thing to do.

Do you have a link to this research I'd like to read it
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Do you have a link to this research I'd like to read it

Patience. I'm sure she'll post the article, er, I mean, citation soon.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Either, but probably should limit liquid before cardio workout. Friggin' cramps can happen when it's sloshing around.

"Milk was a bad choice"
    -Will Ferrel, Anchorman
  • spursfan01
    Options
    There is no NEED to eat post-workout. Protein Synthesis is elevated as long as 24hr post workout.
    Eat before if you can stomach it, and if it helps you mentally. I know I hate feeling hungry in the gym
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just don't feel physically comfortable working with food in my stomach, but I say...to each his own.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Both. You probably should have some carbs and some protein in a light snack about a half hour before working out (depending on what you do at the gym) and make sure to have protein within 30 minutes after working out. The after is to help with recovery, and that 30 minute window is going to help the most. I've found when I eat an hour or more afterwards, I'm more sore, even if I did a similar workout as another day where I ate within that 30 minute window.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

150 calories worth of carbs? Great. That's my warm up covered.

To the OP: I generally do both unless I train first thing in the morning, then I just train fasted. It's all about preference.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    There is no NEED to eat post-workout. Protein Synthesis is elevated as long as 24hr post workout.
    Eat before if you can stomach it, and if it helps you mentally. I know I hate feeling hungry in the gym

Not necessarily true if you're training again within that 24 hour period or you have a physicaaly demanding lifestyle on top of your training.
  • spursfan01
    Options

Not necessarily true if you're training again within that 24 hour period or you have a physicaaly demanding lifestyle on top of your training.

Now youre speaking of Glycogen Depletion..different matter all together
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Both. If I don't eat before and after I feel like crap.
  • jessicaclairel
    Options

This.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    It's definitely something to feel out for yourself - play around, tinker with things - I find I work out best if I have a decent carb/protein mix 1.5-2 hours before hitting a workout, and I always follow up with a higher protein meal, be it a protein shake or some chicken/eggs.