jogging with my dog ...

Options
I have a 9 month old lhasa apso (small dog breed) and want to take him jogging with me. I jog at a slow pace (I'm not a born runner lol) anyone else taken a small dog running with them?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Here' a great group for dogs and exercise etc. I know there is a least one thread about running/jogging with pups.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8864-fit-for-the-dogs
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a Chihuahua/Rat Terrier mix, a mutt, and a Jack Russell Terrier that I take running. Just like humans, they need to build up to mileage. Start with 1/4 or 1/2 mile and go from there. Check pads of paws too for any irritation. My dogs go for a group walk daily (about 30 minutes), and then I take them each for 1 mile run separately on some days. Good luck & keep your four legged friend safe and sound!
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How fun! My dog is not small (70 lbs pit), but I'm so slow that he walks beside me as I huff and puff down the road LOL I wish he would run and wear himself out, so I'm sure your dog will benefit where my dog cannot (yet!)
  • RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :-) I feel better knowing I won't hurt him. Xx
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    May be wrong but 9 months may be too young. Give your vet a ring to check.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    JAZ is right - 9 months is too young. You should wait until they're a couple years old before going jogging with them so their bones have time to finish developing. Running and playing on grass freely is one thing - jogging on concrete is another.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    full disclosure: I didn't read any other comments.

When my Akita (LARGE breed) was a puppy, he needed to take frequent breaks. He would literally just lay down. At 9 mos, your puppy may be closer to full grown than mine was when he needed a mid-walk nap. Be patient if your little dog needs to build up a little stamina!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As others have said, check on when the growth plates close for your breed. That is when running is OK. Usually sooner for smaller dogs than larger, so 9 months may or may not be OK.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    7 month old corgi owner, he runs like an idiot. I don't "RUN" with him because I'm slow as hell, 4mph is as fast as I can 'run'. and it isn't for very long, I can only do bursts of speed. he jumps in front of me mid-pace though and i trip over him. I think he thinks it is funny, it probably is :smile:
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    9 months is too young to take him running. He is still growing and it can and will ruin his growth plates and joints. The reason I know this is my husband is a veterinarian. If you want him to be healthy and not hurt him, wait until he is about 2 years old.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a Chihuahua/Rat Terrier mix, a mutt, and a Jack Russell Terrier that I take running. Just like humans, they need to build up to mileage. Start with 1/4 or 1/2 mile and go from there. Check pads of paws too for any irritation. My dogs go for a group walk daily (about 30 minutes), and then I take them each for 1 mile run separately on some days. Good luck & keep your four legged friend safe and sound!

I agree. I had a chihuahua and she could literally only go around the block, then we had to plan on carrying her.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    7 month old corgi owner, he runs like an idiot. I don't "RUN" with him because I'm slow as hell, 4mph is as fast as I can 'run'. and it isn't for very long, I can only do bursts of speed. he jumps in front of me mid-pace though and i trip over him. I think he thinks it is funny, it probably is :smile:

I could watch a corgi run all day. It is, by far, one of the most enjoyable sights.

WHY ISN'T ANYONE POSTING PICTURES OF DOGS.

My 28 lb Basenji/Sheltie mix keeps up with me, but my parents' 40lb Kelpie needed lots of time to build up stamina to go for jogs.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    If you do start small. Don't take the dog out long. Especially when they are smaller they can't handle the speed or the length. Dogs need to build up to speed and distance just like we do as well.

I have a shih tzu who does come with me sometimes. When I lived close to a high school I would run the track. He would come along and do a lap with me. Than my husband would hang out with him. Later on we would do another lap. Too fast or too long isn't something he can do (but he keeps up as best he can in our spirts). He also gets breaks in running because the little guy thinks it's funny to be running along and than cut me off. My little 11lb dog thinks he is much bigger and stronger than he actually is.

If you are going to take him I would only take him for a very short time when he is full grown. Maybe do a lap around the block with the dog, bring him home than do your run?
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I also haven't read all of the comments...but do what one person said and check with your vet. Some breeds are better at running than others. You don't want to injure the poor little guy. I have a mini schnauzer and mostly just walk fast with him. I'lll do a spurt every now and then...but mostly just walk.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    8013762972_9e1936d660.jpg

From September (just hit 6months old)
    The little toys in front of me lasted a full 12 hrs before he mutilated and de-stuffed them.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    8013762972_9e1936d660.jpg

From September (just hit 6months old)
    The little toys in front of me lasted a full 12 hrs before he mutilated and de-stuffed them.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
  • sarah44254
    Options
    ps. our area that we walk/jog is between .9 and 1.3 miles. It is not a far trip and we are gone for less than 30 mins. I am worried reading all this 'harmful' stuff but I figure he's ok.

I asked the vet at 4 month check up, 'when can i take him for walks?'
    answer: 'once he has had his vaccinations you can do whatever you want outside with him'

I never thought to ask about running because i'm so slow and don't really run, but i can't imagine our short 'running' sessions are any harm. now i'm all worried though and need to call and make sure!
  • RoxySherwood89
    Options
    Ok I'm a little worried now. We were out 30 mins and I jog really slow more like a fast walk. My little guy was amazing and I walked half tne way too to make sure I didn't over work him. When he tired we had a little break or slowed down, will I have hurt it him that's the last thing I want to do. I wiill call my vet tomorrow and seek advice.

How do I get ois on here so I can show u all my little guy?
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    TOO CUTE!!! I would maybe just start walking him first and build up his mileage, then start jogging him later
  • RoxySherwood89
    Options
    TOO CUTE!!! I would maybe just start walking him first and build up his mileage, then start jogging him later

I already walk him between 2 and 3 miles a day xx