phentermine 37.5

Options
hi all,

so i recently went to the doctors and i found out i gained 6lbs in the last 6 months. I'm at 224. I recently ordered 30 day shred and attend zumba class 2x a week for an hour. bc of the weight gain and my lack of success at logging and just calorie counting I asked for phentermine to be prescribed. (i'm semi annoyed bc it was not covered by my insurance as it is considered a cosmetic script).

so my question is what can i expect to feel from this pill? will I just never feel hungry? should I still try to eat all my calories or would that defeat the purpose of it?

I basically wanted to go on it so that it would boost my results and keep me motivated. and then in 2 months hopefully I will have learned to control my eating and snacking. I continue loosing weight. My doctor also told me to take b complex vitamin, vitamin d3, and a women's one a day with iron - due to the results of my recent bloodwork.

thanks for any advice or tips to increase my results and keep me on track

Replies

• Faulkners407
    Faulkners407 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have considered it, but my logic for not is this. The medication is supposed to curb your appetite. If I only ate when I was hungry, I wouldn't be overweight. So I have decided that it would not be the solution to my problem. For me it's the emotional connection with food. And I have to track it (ALL) and get some activity-or I gain. Its a constant battle. And I have to budget my calories, and stay within my budget or I end up here. With my jeans not fitting. ..good luck though!
  • Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    thanks, I'm not sure if it'll work but i figure it doesnt hurt try. really it would be good to not feel hungry and shrink my stomach so in the future i wont be able to overeat

I hope other people chime in, my posts never get a lot of comments
  • Al6670
    Options
    I have A LOT of experience with phentermine! I will tell you this, if you are a virgin phentermine taker and taking 37.5 mg before lunch and dinner you won't sleep, but you will have the cleanest most organized house ever!!

That is kind of a high dose to be on if you never took it before. You won't be hungry, just thirsty. You have to force yourself to eat, one of the reason is bc you don't want to have to slow down to eat!! You WILL lost weight very fast, but you will gain it back! :(

Like the other reply said, once you stop taking them you are going to be hungry again. I took them on and off for about 20 years now and I can say I only get the phentermine "high" for about a week if I go off of them for a while. Your body will get used to them and they won't work as well.

If you are going to take 2 a day, take 1 at around 9:30 am and one at around 12:30 pm. Taking too late will keep you awake or you will wake up after a couple hours and will not be able to go back to sleep.

I really like the high I get when on them, I have to admit. This time I am going to do it with diet and exercise, I believe that is the only way to keep it off. You need to change your lifestyle. I hope it doesn't take you 20 years to figure that out like it did me!!!

Good Luck
    Anne
  • Al6670
    Options
    One more thing DO NOT GET PREGNANT WHILE TAKING!!! I see you are young so be careful
  • AmbieSweetz
    AmbieSweetz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I admit I tried it for a month back in Aug. I will give it credit for helping jump start my weight loss, but I really couldnt deal with the headaches. I couldnt focus they were getting sooo bad!! Plus I quickly realized I was still losing 10+ lbs a month just by logging and exercise, without spending all the money! So far Ive lost over 50lbs!
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was on Phentermine and lost 70 lbs in less than 10 months. I had very little appetite and definitely became OCD. I cleaned like there was no tomorrow! I stopped taking it and voila! All 70 lbs eventually came back - I had the same mentality as you that i would use it as a tool to jump start my loss and then go about things the right way. I was wrong! Since then, I discovered MFP and have had the same success but without the pills and it is a much better way to learn the correct lifestyle in my opinion. Good luck to you!!
  • berrythin79
    berrythin79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I take a half a pill on and off and I don't have any problems. I would recommend eating breakfast first then waiting 30 minutes and taking a pill. Its trial and area because everyone's body reacts differently. A entire pill made me feel woosie and I wouldn't eat at all. I hope this helps.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    This sounds like moms taking cocaine 100 years ago. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.
  • jenbeck81
    jenbeck81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine off and on, and still like it, but more so for the energy than the appetite curb. It did help when I was at work from snacking on every goodie in front of me. I did have strange dreams from taking it if I took it too late in the day. I also "crashed" after a couple days on the pill after being off a day or two. I plan on taking it at half dose along with my cellecor supplements.
  • Southernbelle90
    Options
    Ive taken it before. Be sure to take is as soon as you wake up in the morning or you wont go to bed! And its like what youve read above. You wont be hungry at all. Just really thirsty.
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have taken phentermine in the past as well. The first time I had no problems at all. The second time I took it, I had a headache every afternoon. I only took one a day, first thing when I woke up. If you take it too late in the day, you most likely will have problems sleeping. 1 pill was enough for me to last all day. I didn't need a 2nd pill to get me through. I was successful on phentermine & did lose the weight, but like previous posters have said, as soon as I stopped taking them, the weight came back. Good luck to you.
  • Devin182
    Options
    thanks everybody. my doctor told me to take 1 pill a day at 10 in the morning. Its only been a few hours since Ive taken it and im not hungry at all. i feel more awake then I normally do so thats good. I'm not sure if its from the phentermine or the other vitamins I just started taking it. I guess i'll see when i try to sleep tonight. I only plan to be on it for 2-3 months bc I dont want to rely on it just get some results so i can stay motivated.

so the new question is - should i still try to eat all 1400 calories im given or is it better to be a lil under that?
  • aaljurdi
    aaljurdi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off of them and I highly recommend them if over eating is the issue. When I first started on my weight loss, a friend of mine told me about a clinic in which her other friend lost a lot of weight. Since I was so heavy, I decided to check it out. I had my workouts down, but my eating was ridiculous. So bad that before I went into the clinic I stopped by McDonalds and had two apple pies with my coffee! I decided even after I had the apple pies I was going to start right then and there. Wow! What a difference. Not only are you not hungry, but the fact that you have to force yourself to each helped me make wiser choices in what I was putting in my body. They did put me on a high protein diet but I still snuck in my fruits just cause I felt I needed them. I did lose a lot of weight and will say that this was my first step in the right direction. I am now off of them and have been making for the most part the better choices in food, counting calories, etc. Once in a while I will have an apple pie but it will one only and I will make sure to log it in. Good luck.
  • Devin182
    Options
    have you had any problems with gaining the weight back now that you are off?
  • kimmeyjo
    kimmeyjo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My doctor wouldn't prescribe them when I asked her about them. She said it was a sister drug to phen phen. I'm not willing to take the risk. I also have hypothyroidism and any diet drugs of any kind would totally mess me up. I hope when you stop taking them that the weight will not come back on. I've had too many friends who took it and then put the weight plus some back on. Good luck.
  • Tkichler
    Tkichler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody. my doctor told me to take 1 pill a day at 10 in the morning. Its only been a few hours since Ive taken it and im not hungry at all. i feel more awake then I normally do so thats good. I'm not sure if its from the phentermine or the other vitamins I just started taking it. I guess i'll see when i try to sleep tonight. I only plan to be on it for 2-3 months bc I dont want to rely on it just get some results so i can stay motivated.

so the new question is - should i still try to eat all 1400 calories im given or is it better to be a lil under that?

You need to eat at least 800 to 1200 is what the Dr. told me. I wasn't hungry, so I wasn't even hitting 800 and wasn't loosing. You have to force yourself to eat. OH the cotton mouth!! holy cow, drinking water is NOT a problem on that stuff. Good luck!
  • Devin182
    Options

You need to eat at least 800 to 1200 is what the Dr. told me. I wasn't hungry, so I wasn't even hitting 800 and wasn't loosing. You have to force yourself to eat. OH the cotton mouth!! holy cow, drinking water is NOT a problem on that stuff. Good luck!

thanks so much
  • SLVisLAME
    Options
    I started taking phentermine in July and am down 35 lbs - currently 132 lbs! I think it's a great tool to assist with proper diet and exercise, but you have to be in the right place mentally to realize that it's not a magic pill in and of itself. 37.5 mg is really high to begin with in my opinion though. Just remember to drink lots of water!

Also, you should probably check out the phentermine users board for more info about side effects.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    hi all,

so i recently went to the doctors and i found out i gained 6lbs in the last 6 months. I'm at 224. I recently ordered 30 day shred and attend zumba class 2x a week for an hour. bc of the weight gain and my lack of success at logging and just calorie counting I asked for phentermine to be prescribed. (i'm semi annoyed bc it was not covered by my insurance as it is considered a cosmetic script).

so my question is what can i expect to feel from this pill? will I just never feel hungry? should I still try to eat all my calories or would that defeat the purpose of it?

I basically wanted to go on it so that it would boost my results and keep me motivated. and then in 2 months hopefully I will have learned to control my eating and snacking. I continue loosing weight. My doctor also told me to take b complex vitamin, vitamin d3, and a women's one a day with iron - due to the results of my recent bloodwork.

thanks for any advice or tips to increase my results and keep me on track

You're taking a pill because you failed to lose weight? And yet, when I checked a bunch of random days in your diary, I only found one with any food logged in it?

You would probably have gotten more results if you had followed the program here - logging your food every day, keeping a calorie deficit, maybe doing some exercise.

But instead, you're going to pop a pill to kill your appetite. So what happens when you stop taking the pill? How are you going to learn healthy eating habits and moderation? And, what happens when you go from barely eating to eating more?

Good luck, I guess. Doesn't seem sensible to me though.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the extra energy will fade fast. Mine lasted 2 days. Phenermine made me lose my appetite so much that I wasn't hungry at ALL, so I stopped taking it after one week. I've lost 37lbs since July without it.