Sometimes the number is just too big

Options
Maybe it's just me...maybe I need to grow up, and deal with it...

But lately, the past few days especially, I have been looking at the amount of weight that I need to lose (125lbs) and I just freak out. Like, this can't be done...why am I trying..Why did I let myself get this way...

I'm not giving up, it just seems like it can be a bit much at times...overwhelming...

/whining

Replies

• lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options

But lately, the past few days especially, I have been looking at the amount of weight that I need to lose (125lbs) and I just freak out. Like, this can't be done...why am I trying..Why did I let myself get this way...

I'm not giving up, it just seems like it can be a bit much at times...overwhelming...

/whining

Then pick a smaller figure. and work on that first. First goal = 20lbs. Once you've done 20 you can start working on the next 20. etc etc. Day by day and pound by pound and dont worry about the big picture (and big numebr!) at this stage.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest breaking it down into mini goals, so they're easier to deal with.

You can do this!
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    I know the feeling. I started with 130lbs to lose and now I have 89 left to go. One day at a time. It will happen. You can do this :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It's not just you.

I keep in mind that I have around 95# to go, but focus on smaller, closer goals. Right now, I want to get to 213 (18 to go) by January 9th so I can brag about losing 100# in a year. Next will be getting under 200, then hitting the 10 increments.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

Losing weight is the same thing, it can seem overwhelming but a slow, steady approach consisting of a series of small changes will get the job done. You're not alone feeling this way, just keep in mind why you want to do this.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I set my first goal at "getting up and walking a mile". From there, I was elated when I lost 10 lbs.

Know what my goal is now?

1 more. Every day that I reach a goal, my next goal is just 1 more lb lost.

I've lost a ton of weight, gained a MUCH healthier life, and focused on doing everything one step at a time... one day at a time.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

/whining

You said it you have to grow up and deal with it.

it'll come off as long as you apply yourself. What is the daunting part? the belief that you can't do this while having a fabulous life and enjoying yourself?

because you can....and as long as you are doing those two things, while managing to create a caloric deficit then it will come off AND it won't feel overwhelming and miserable.

That's all.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Yep. Mini goals. Start with 10% of your current weight, then 20%, or whatever you choose. You won't be losing it all at once, but in time. Just keep consistent and be honest with yourself and you'll do great!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I get you bc its the same way for me. Ive got this ridgid timeline in my head that cannot be moved and its rough.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I have 110+ pounds to lose, and that is a staggering number. However, I broke it into mini goals. Even twenty pounds seemed like too much to me, so I chose ten pound increments. I have a lot of mini-goals, but it is -SO- satisfying to mark each one off on my profile page, and to see that number go down, slowly but surely.

Best of luck to you on your journey. You can do it!
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am in the home stretch of losing over 200 lbs. I had to make small 10% goals. I still do. I have 40 left. Feels like a lot. But, my 10% goal right now is TOTALLY doable! Look at the small ones, it eventually adds up to losing a lot. Just keep going.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, focus on smaller goals. Go for 10 lbs, or 10% of your body weight first. Just keep trying your best no matter what. And know that some days your best is better than others, and you most definitely are not alone.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Look back at how far you have come...I have another 73 to lose, but I have lost 29 and I focus on that!! :)
  • jlowensby
    Options
    Give yourself mini goals...when you lose 10 pounds you get a blah blah
    when you lose 20 lbs you get a blah blah and so forth...works for me!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Go 5lbs to 5lbs, or 10lbs and be happy when you hit every mini-goal....You hit that mini-goal 10 times it's 100lbs and seriously, you know you can do it! Take that yellow hat off, you'll drop 5lbs straight away ;)
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yup, just break it up into smaller junks. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, then the first mile, the next, and so on. Focus on what you need to lose each week and work toward that. Have goals for what you want to have lost after 3, 6, 9, and 12 months and work toward those. Make adjustments as necessary.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I set my first goal at "getting up and walking a mile". From there, I was elated when I lost 10 lbs.

Know what my goal is now?

1 more. Every day that I reach a goal, my next goal is just 1 more lb lost.

I've lost a ton of weight, gained a MUCH healthier life, and focused on doing everything one step at a time... one day at a time.
    That has always been my goal as well -- 1 more pound. I have been successful at reaching that goal 62 times. I just want to weigh less next week than I do today.
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It can be very eye opening for sure, that's when you approach the facts like an adult and do it one step at a time just like every one else has said...Don't focut on the "How did I get to here" or the "How did I do this to myself" honestly, I think we all know the answer to this and it has to do with eating too much/eating unhealthy and not moving.

If you can change those things, you are ready!!

I would also make sure all my smaller goals along the way aern't just weight/scale related...Give yourself little motivational pushes along the way such as I want to exercise xxx minuts longer or go at a speed xxxx bit faster and keep bumping up those small goals as you meet them...

Very soon you'll be on your way and instead of saying "How DId I get to Here?" You'll be saying "Look how far I've come!!!"

:bigsmile:
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    going with majority here...pick smaller mini goals! for me it I do 10lbs at a time. I still have whole amount on ticker but keep that mini goal in my head.:smile:
  • TrixieTN
    Options
    I was going to use the "how do you eat an elephant" analogy also, but then I thought... we are trying to lose weight. We shouldn't be eating elephants.