Random: Crafty Gifts?

Options
auroranflash
auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
I'm sure a good Pinterest explore would offer SEVERAL options, but until then...

Do you ever give homemade presents as gifts around the holidays? I am thinking jarred food (jams, fruits, etc), artwork, crafty gifts, etc?

Maybe even a pinecone bird feeder? :tongue:

I wanted to see the creative side of MFP. Show or tell about some way you managed to put creativity into gift giving during the holidays. :flowerforyou:

(subtext: I'm poor this year. HALP)

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm learning how to make soap :)
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm poor this Christmas, so I'm taking orders and baking pies and tarts for everyone.

For those who live far away, I'm mailing the 'Cookies in a jar' things where they just add eggs and butter and bake 'em :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm poor this Christmas, so I'm taking orders and baking pies and tarts for everyone.

For those who live far away, I'm mailing the 'Cookies in a jar' things where they just add eggs and butter and bake 'em :)

That sounds awesome. I may have to get in on this... :)
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I make cookies and candies. I also crochet, so scarves are a good gift.
  • millions0fpeaches
    millions0fpeaches Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I usually try to make my cards rather than just getting the printed photo ones... Last year I made snowflake ornaments, too. $8 for a nice 6 piece set of cookie cutters and a few bucks for some pearlized paint. I had oven bake clay, ribbon, wedding favor boxes, and tissue paper at home, but even if you had to buy all of it, you're probably only looking at like $30 tops. I think I made 50 of them?
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Candles are pretty fun to make at home! :)
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I made people scarves last year for Christmas. They loved them.
  • michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm baking cookies, and cheesecakes. I crocheted dishcloth. I am knitting slippers, hats,scarves and mitts. I actually have quite a few "homemade" things I am doing,lol.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my Pinterest obsession!

Draw on wax paper with permanent markers, wrap around candle and heat until image is transferred.
    245094404691826170_SqFY1rnt_c.jpg

Donuts and milk
    429601251924178198_omOmZpGJ_c.jpg

Elmer's glue then paint one color overtop.
    273101164873727935_27O77tc2_c.jpg

There are more...there are always more!!! lol
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Jewelry. I did it when I was a po' hoe. Worked great
  • ukstarlight05
    Options
    I often make homemade gifts, they are generally baked goods because I love baking and members of my family don't often make themselves breads/pies/cookies from scratch (and I try to make things as healthy as possible!). My grandparents love when I make them loaves of bread or muffins and freeze them; I can prepare them prior to the holiday/occassian and then they can decided when they want to enjoy the treats. I also enjoy painting so I've painted pictures, gotten frames, and given those as gifts. If I had more time I'd love to get into jewlery making.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Last year I made beer for friends and family :drinker:

I also will buy some gift they asked for and paint a small picture of something they like, something about their personality, music icon, animal, whatever to go along with it - and always a little canvas - because I think they're cute and if they hate the painting, it's easy to hide. :bigsmile:
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Biodiesel
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i can only do the knit stitch, but i can knit scarves!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I will spend about 3 days straight, 10+ hours a day, in my kitchen baking about a week before Christmas. I give all of my family and friends holiday tins filled with homemade/hand decorated (scratch made, I DO NOT use mixes) cookies, candy and other confections.

Everyone always loves the homemade gifts. I give them to my friends and business partners before the actual holiday and they share them with their families over the holiday.

They've all come to expect the goodies and aniticpate the day I deliver them. I think that if I started going out and buying gifts for people instead of baking that I would get lynched.
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I make these cute little pretzle chocolate things... I pack them in jars with a little ribbon around the top... everyone seems to love them (beware they are addictive little buggers.... )

the ones I make are similar to the link below... but I used melting chocolate instead of the hershey's kiss (you can get it at any craft store)

http://spoonful.com/recipes/holiday-pretzel-treats
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! For the past five years, all I've given are homemade, mostly edible gifts. Go to Livingonadime.com She has TONS of gifts to make.

One of my favorites is here: www.livingonadime.com/candy-christmas-wreath/

Fun to make, and inexpensive and customizable to everyone.

I also make handmade jewelry for all the women/girls on my list.

Enjoy!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I bake for my family. I did it when I was on Mat Leave and I had a baby and an asshat that decided to go back to school while I was on Mat Leave.....

so things were interesting.

as a result the baking tradition has continued via requests...

dad - shortbread
    mom - chocolate dipped biscotti
    brother 1 - hot toddy mix (in cute mason jars, he really really likes this)
    brother 2 - rum balls, strong on the rum
    sister 1 - nanaimo bars (if you do not know this, it's a Canadian treat...just google it)
    brother 3 - rum balls, again strong on the rum.

so yeah....relatively cheap and they love it.

Dad also gets a cheap but interesting bottle of wine, you can find cheap ones that had a great year.

Mom gets bailey's irish cream.

My daughter one year picked up plain ornaments and craft pens and decorated an ornament for each grandparent and all her uncles and aunts....that was awesome.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Last year I made pumpkin spice brown sugar sugar rubs.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps. I found a poem I liked about moms. Found a cross-stitch alphabet book and freestyled it.

I made a frame mat out of those free paint stir sticks at the hardware store. Spray paint them the color you want. Then cut them to fit a standard mat and glue. And voila.

My mom totally digs homemade crafts as presents.

frame.jpg