Random: Crafty Gifts?

Options

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm learning how to make soap :)

I cheat and re-purpose soap to make new pretty stuff. I made some coffee ground swirled stuff.
  • I make soap, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, things out of clay, I bake, draw, sketch, knit, sew, play piano.. Heh I'm really crafty.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    - I'm handwriting a quote on a pale pashmina scarf with fabric markers for my sister-in-law... not sure what quote yet though!
    - everyone will also get a jar of different flavoured roasted chick peas in their stocking
    - I make jewelry as a hobby, so most female family members get that in their stocking too
    - thinking of making some quirky fridge magnets for brother-in-law by buying cool plastic toys (dinosaurs, robots, star trek figures?), spray painting them a uniform colour, and gluing them onto magnets
    - rice hand warmers... cut shapes out of fleece, fill them with rice, and then you heat them in the microwave and stick in your pockets/gloves when it's cold out!
    - coasters with printed/modpodged Harry Potter quotes for my bestie

All of these are on my Pinterest project board: http://pinterest.com/victoriasarah/projects/ :)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Last year I made beer for friends and family :drinker:

I also will buy some gift they asked for and paint a small picture of something they like, something about their personality, music icon, animal, whatever to go along with it - and always a little canvas - because I think they're cute and if they hate the painting, it's easy to hide. :bigsmile:

I would love it if someone gave me their own home brews for xmas. For all that goes into brewing, that is beyond generous.
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I make chocolate covered peanut butter balls. I get the packaging at the after christmas sells then use those the next year. Home made gifts are awesome! Way more personable.

I so want to try that elmers glue painting. That is awesome!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Fudge. I'm the girl everyone expects fudge from every year. They've even started telling me which kinds.

I just can't escape it and my arms scream every year.

Oh and snickerdoodles.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Have you considered making Caganers? They're pooping figurines sometimes included in Catalan nativity scenes.

caganer.jpg

You could even make them cute and trendy, for kids and teens!

6a011169000929970c0147e0c96d1a970b-320wi

p10b.jpg

Cute, huh?!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I could use some ideas myself. I already did the knitted scarves, so I can't do that again.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I cheat and re-purpose soap to make new pretty stuff. I made some coffee ground swirled stuff.

Coffee in soap! That sounds awesome! I suppose it would work a bit like a scrub then?
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've tried all kinds of things. I made one of my sisters a Christmas tree garland this year because she sent me a box of wooden beads that I didn't much like last Christmas, so I thought I'd send them right back to her.

I buy semi-precious beads and make rose beads for necklaces; might get a few of those made this year. And I bought a kit to try silk scarf painting but don't know if I'll be any good at it. If I am, someone will get that.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas!
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    Last year I made my quarky sister a funky hat. She loves it and wears it all the time. I crocheed a few blankets last year and am making some of the simple tied together blankets now. So much fun stuff to make...
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I make rag rugs out of denim scraps, they're frayed and fluffy and everyone loves them.I posted pics on Craftsy & Pintrest, they're really easy to make with a sewing machine
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options

Coffee in soap! That sounds awesome! I suppose it would work a bit like a scrub then?

Yes. I am not a fan of bar soap but I know lots of people that use bar soap.
  • Slightlyoffbalance
    Options
    My kids are making magnets for their cousins (they're all under 5) using rocks (free!!), clothes pins ($2.50 tops?), and some cheap cut-outs I got in the Wal-mart craft section ($1). I bought a strip of magnets and some round ones for about $4 total. We're giving a decorative metal sheet (in the craft clearance at Wal*Mart for $0.50) that you can hang with a ribbon with them.

I'm also doing the cookie ingredients in a jar for friends and the baby sitter.

Grandparents are getting a clear ornament ($1 at Wal*Mart) with a family photo in it and a paper plate with kids drawings on it made into a clock.

I did some serious internet searching for those ideas...I'm not creative, but they are cheap!! Certainly will be saving me a LOT of money this year making the sentimental stuff.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my Pinterest obsession!

Elmer's glue then paint one color overtop.
    273101164873727935_27O77tc2_c.jpg

There are more...there are always more!!! lol

This is just awesome - totally stealing! LOVE
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    We are BIG on homemade gifts. I make a lot. Things such as Blankets, Menu boards, wreaths (all seasons), Ornaments, ect. My Mom made the most AMAZING Homemade vanilla last yr!!!!!! Our favorite gifts to give and receive are homemade :)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I will spend about 3 days straight, 10+ hours a day, in my kitchen baking about a week before Christmas. I give all of my family and friends holiday tins filled with homemade/hand decorated (scratch made, I DO NOT use mixes) cookies, candy and other confections.

Everyone always loves the homemade gifts. I give them to my friends and business partners before the actual holiday and they share them with their families over the holiday.

They've all come to expect the goodies and aniticpate the day I deliver them. I think that if I started going out and buying gifts for people instead of baking that I would get lynched.

This is what I do! Last year I made peanut brittle, peppermint bark, shortbread cookies, Neapolitan cookies, chocolate peppermint pinwheels, peanut butter blossums, divinity and (my favorite) caramel corn.

Caramel corn is pretty easy, but it can be messy....soooo worth it though. Here's the recipe that I generally follow - although I use REAL butter, no margarine - it doesn't taste right w/ butter subs.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/my-amish-friends-caramel-corn/
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i do !
    :D
    I make sweets/chocolates for my friends every year, generally rum truffles :D
    i also make all my cards, paint glasses, make jewellery
    this year im planning on trying to make some soap :D
    x
  • cwanek726
    cwanek726 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I almost always do candy/cookies at Christmas as gifts. It's a little or box or whatever nifty thing I find filled with old fashioned fudge, divinity, pralines, cut out cookies, peppermint bark, brown sugar sandwich cookies, things like that. Last year I tried a burnt sugar fudge and made the absoulte BIGGEST mess ever in my kitchen. I was laughing soo hard until I realized I was the only one to clean it up.

Usually people give me back the tins or boxes or whatever and request that it be filled again for the next year.