Random: Crafty Gifts?

Options

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    i can only do the knit stitch, but i can knit scarves!

I crochet some stitches but whenever I need a little help I go to redheart.com (the yarn company). They have directions on there that are pretty easy to follow.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I almost exclusively make gifts unless it's something I don't have the skills or means to make or I can afford reasonably.

I've painted mugs, canvases, etc. I've done the photo canvas thing, too. I took some jars that used to have candles in them, painted the inside one color, then painted the outside with little faces to make pumpkins and snowmen for decoration. I've made coasters and signs out of cheap plywood to hang on posts in a garden. I've made photo books from scratch and taken family photos. I painted bobby pins with nailpolish. I've painted ornaments as gifts and even made a cheesy desktop background for my cousin once (I photoshopped her face over Bella's in a picture of her and Edward from Twilight). OH, I photoshopped my sister into the showcase showdown on the Price is Right and put it in a frame one year. I've designed (and even copied) t shirt designs and used iron-on transfers on cheap t shirts. I've made stencils and painted designs on cheap t shirts.

Oh my lord, I don't even know. Most of the stuff in my apartment is even handmade or altered by me in some way to give it character.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I usually bake a TON of cookies and then divide them up for gifts. If I'm baking for like 10 people, I'll make about 5 types of cookies and then mix and match. Usually Target or the dollar stores will have little cute bags around this time of year that are cheap.

I also knit, crochet, bake other stuff, make my own vanilla extract and baking/cooking mixes (brownies, cakes, cookies, soups, etc) which I can give as gifts. Embroidered cards are fun too. I take cardstock, punch holes in a pattern with a decent sized needle and then embroider the design through the punched holes. Then I cut a smaller piece of cardstock and mount it to the back (inside of the card) so the tails don't show. Then you can write in the card. I've made a robot one with a little word bubble with a heart in it and I've made a sugar skull one. It all depends on who I'm giving it to. For my dad, I usually do a batch or two of cookies and some sort of frozen meal (ravioli from scratch, pierogi from scratch, etc). This year, I'm learning to knit more so it might be gloves/mittens/scarves/hats for people. I crochet little alligators, hippos, sea creatures, etc for the kids in the family and sometimes a little fish or something stuffed with catnip and a bell for friends with cats.

ETA: caramels are REALLY easy to make (especially if you have a candy thermometer). Just cut them up, wrap in wax paper and freeze until you're ready to give them out. I've had some in my freezer for about a year and they still taste awesome.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    since I was little, i usually bake cookies and sausage balls.

one year, my sister and i got christmas balls and a metallic sharpie-we wrote the year & our names on one side with a verse from luke on the other

there's always clothespin reindeer! they're awesome!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making Caganers? They're pooping figurines sometimes included in Catalan nativity scenes.

caganer.jpg

You could even make them cute and trendy, for kids and teens!

6a011169000929970c0147e0c96d1a970b-320wi

p10b.jpg

Cute, huh?!

huh? are these actually popular in america?!! i;d get shot if i gave those to family or friends :flowerforyou:
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    I make fleece tie blankets for children and donate to the Salvation Army. I made 16 last year hope to do more this year.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Do you like to sew? I have made items the last few years. I only have one brother and 3 sisters, and 4 neices and 5 great neices. So I like to do the same for all of them. A few years ago I made pocket books for my sisters and back packs for my little neices. Last year I made aprons for all of them. I crochet afghans for them before. Lap size. I've made pillows for them before. Last year I made new stocking for all our kids and their husbands/wives.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Have you considered making Caganers? They're pooping figurines sometimes included in Catalan nativity scenes.

caganer.jpg

You could even make them cute and trendy, for kids and teens!

6a011169000929970c0147e0c96d1a970b-320wi

p10b.jpg

Cute, huh?!

huh? are these actually popular in america?!! i;d get shot if i gave those to family or friends :flowerforyou:
    My grandmother would make these every year, and we cherish them. :angry:

What I wouldn't give to have a caganer from my grandmother now. :cry:
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my Pinterest obsession!

Elmer's glue then paint one color overtop.
    273101164873727935_27O77tc2_c.jpg

There are more...there are always more!!! lol

This is just awesome - totally stealing! LOVE

LOVE Pinterest.... One of my Board names is "Homemade Gifts" can't wait to try a few soon!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    For those who live far away, I'm mailing the 'Cookies in a jar' things where they just add eggs and butter and bake 'em :)

My sister-in-law did this one year, and we loved it! Great idea!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    All of my gifts this year were home made... For weddings I made letter art signs to spell out people's last names... you just have to have time to get creative with your photography, but once you look up ideas online not at all difficult and quick to edit... I put mine on either canvas or wood... but if you wanted it to be easier you could just buy enough cheap frames from wal-mart to put the letters in... All the girls in my family and my friends that are girls are all getting foreign coin jewelry that I made... check out my website under the letter art tab and my etsy page if you are wanting ideas on how to do it. My website is http://whatsyourstoryphotography.weebly.com/ and my etsy page is: http://www.etsy.com/shop/whatsyourstoryphoto
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Also, dollar store coffee mugs, the plain white ones, if you mark on them with sharpies, then bake them at 200 degrees for 10 minutes, it's permanent, and washable :)
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Here's another that I plan on making this year. It's a candy/serving dish made out of starlight mints!

All you need is starlight/peppermint candies of your color choice, and parchment paper.

Just line up the candies in whatever pattern and shape of your choosing on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Separate them just a tad, so there's room to melt.

Bake it in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for about 7-10 minutes. Remove and set it on a wire baking rack to cool for a few minutes.

24980972903320986_k7uSNWhT_c.jpg
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my Pinterest obsession!

Draw on wax paper with permanent markers, wrap around candle and heat until image is transferred.
    245094404691826170_SqFY1rnt_c.jpg

Donuts and milk
    429601251924178198_omOmZpGJ_c.jpg

Elmer's glue then paint one color overtop.
    273101164873727935_27O77tc2_c.jpg

There are more...there are always more!!! lol

Love these ideas!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    *double checks url* Is this Pinterest?
  • EveMother
    Options
    I make pumpkin rolls every year for Christmas gifts, but because I'm on this lifestyle change, I'm changing it up a bit. I've decided to make Candy Cane Bath Salts in a Jar (http://christmas.organizedhome.com/crafts/gifts-in-a-jar/candy-cane-bath-salts) and Peppermint Stick Cocoa in a Jar (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/peppermint-stick-cocoa-10000001011199/). This way I won't be tempted to lick bowls and powdered sugar off my fingers. I just hope my friends and family won't be disappointed.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I will spend about 3 days straight, 10+ hours a day, in my kitchen baking about a week before Christmas. I give all of my family and friends holiday tins filled with homemade/hand decorated (scratch made, I DO NOT use mixes) cookies, candy and other confections.

Everyone always loves the homemade gifts. I give them to my friends and business partners before the actual holiday and they share them with their families over the holiday.

They've all come to expect the goodies and aniticpate the day I deliver them. I think that if I started going out and buying gifts for people instead of baking that I would get lynched.

This is true. She sent me some awhile back and I ate her cookies again this weekend. Yum.
  • Masqueraded
    Options
    Make CDs for people! I know most people use their phones for music, but my friends and I did this one year and we loved listening to each track and figureing out why those were the songs they chose!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not crafty at all... But as a gift receiver, I love any homemade clothing item (scarves rock), things with my name on them and FOOD. Oh, and Christmas ornaments. I heart you crafty folk!!!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    I usually try to make my cards rather than just getting the printed photo ones... Last year I made snowflake ornaments, too. $8 for a nice 6 piece set of cookie cutters and a few bucks for some pearlized paint. I had oven bake clay, ribbon, wedding favor boxes, and tissue paper at home, but even if you had to buy all of it, you're probably only looking at like $30 tops. I think I made 50 of them?

Oh, I always make handmade cards, too!