Database information?

Options
I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but I've found I've had to double check nutritional details of a lot of entries in the food database recently. I'm on a high protein diet and yesterday at some minced steak - I entered 100g of steak from a nutritional entry already posted by another user, but noticed it didn't have any protein in it... In fact, anything apart from the calories!

I've also found some weird discrepancies, like finding the nutritional information for a packaged product (an 100oz protein shake in this instance) was different on the packet than in the database. Did they change the recipe? Or are people filling in the wrong info?

I never noticed it before, and have always been really impressed with the MFP food database.

Replies

• jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I have this problem a lot actually. Some of the foods I eat there are about 4 different entries in MFP for and ALL of them are wrong. I'm not sure why this is, but I usually have to end up entering it again with "(Correct values)" on it so I can tell which one is mine. Maybe people are just reading the packages incorrectly?
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this too, and when I have the package information available, I will edit it to correct it. One thing that is helpful, if you look right above the nutrional info it will usually have in parentheses how many confirmations - if you go with ones that already have one or more confirmations, they are usually correct. Also, when you do check it is helpful if it IS correct to confirm it so it helps everyone.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If it's added by someone, they may just add the calories and then they allow other members to use it and now it's throwing them off. I try to just stay away from those items and enter them myself.
  • a978736
    a978736 Posts: 6
    Options
    YOU CAN JUST EDIT THE LINES THAT ARE THERE AND CORRECT THE INFORMATION INSTEAD OF ADDING A NEW LINE TO THE DATA BASE
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    11oz protein shake, not 100oz. That would be one big shake!
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll try editing the lines if I see any problem entries!
  • dsjolley
    dsjolley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I double-check all the time. So many have been entered incorrectly, or people add other items to them and don't specify that they are doing so. I correct about 10 a week, I would guess. Glad I'm not the only one!

509655.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Mhm, I've noticed it too..

Although, I live in Canada, and find there are often discrepancies between the American and Canadian products..which would account for little differences, but not ones like people not bothering to enter nutritional info =p