Yogurt for vegetarians??

Options
YIKES-- Yoplait light and fit is a staple in my diet, and just the other day I actually READ the ingredients list to find that it has gelatin in it... :grumble:

Does anyone know if this is the norm, or what? Do I have to give up yogurt? Thanks!

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Chobani greek style yogurt uses fruit pectin. I love it.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Fage is gelatin free. I'm sure there are others as well out there, I just don't know what they are :)
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    Yoplait isn't real yogurt. Nancy's Organic line or any number of others are much better. If they have to add gelatin to it to get it to gel, it's fake yogurt.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just switched from Light n Fit to Stonyfield Farms Organic. Not sure what would qualify it as being vegetarian, but there is no gelatin, and also no aspartame like Dannon.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    Chobani. MMMMMMMM!
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    Yoghurt is the same type of situation as cheese, there are lots of animal free products out there, its just a matter of reading the labels or finding out from societies in your area which products are vego friendly.

Good luck finding a product that fits into your lifestyle and doesn't compromise your choice :)
  • sendmoretigers
    Options
    there are lots of veg options for yogurt, not sure what to suggest for your area, though, but they shouldn't be hard to track down. i would recommend staying away from lite/light or "calorie reduced" anything though. the reduction in calories or fat is more than offset by the processing the stuff goes through to reach its' "diet" state and the marginal reduction in the bad stuff doesn't make up for the loss of the good vitamins and nutrients you get from the actual foods. you still have to watch your portions but real food is much healthier than imitation substances...
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    Homemade yogurt is easy and you have contol over the ingredients. A friend of mine makes hers in the crockpot.