Tofurkey

Options
Has anyone tried it? Taste??

Replies

• kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm a strict vegetarian and I made one for thanksgiving last year... NOT a fan. One of my friends loves it, but I thought it tasted like rubber.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    yes... and yukk
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's gruesome. A friend of mine, her boyfriend's sister was a vegetarian, and she sent me pics of the 'tofurkey' they had for Thanksgiving. I laughed so hard. It looks hilarious and terrible all at the same time.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both vegetarians, and the one thing we really look forward to is our tofurky for the year! We both really enjoy the taste, and if you get the full dinner it comes with brown rice stuffing, gravy, etc. In my opinion NONE of the meat substitute products have the same "mouth feel" as real meat, but some of the tastes I actually prefer. Seitan...YUM!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    tofurkey_slider.jpg
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It is a bit like rubber but, I had a veggie turkey day a few years back and was fine with it.
    Just add taters and gravy! And Vegan pumpkin cheesecake... mmmmm!!
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options
    Tastes terrible and gave me the worst gas of my life.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    My husband is a vegeterian. Our first year of being married I made him one. He took one bite and spit it out in a napkin. I wasn't for sure if he was going to like it so I made a pan of Spinach lasagna just in case he didn't like it. He was so suprised when I brought out the Lasagna you never so a man smile so big.
  • elishevafrankel
    Options
    I've never tried the Tofurkey roast, but I really love the oven roasted deli slices on sandwiches. It's one of the only kind of fake meat substitute I really enjoy (that and the fake burger crumbles I use for chili). Somebody above mentioned seitan, and I think that's my ideal for a meat-like veggie protein.

For Thanksgiving I just skip the turkey. Lots of casseroles, usually a big stew with sweet potatoes and spinach and all sorts of delicious things that my mother makes...plenty of good food without the turkey :)
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Nasty taste (and texture), IMO
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My oldest daughter is a vegetarian and we make this for her at Thanksgiving. She likes, I was not impressed.
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and thought it was pretty awful! I've since been using the Thanksgiving recipes from the Post Punk Kitchen: http://www.theppk.com/category/recipe/holiday-thanksgiving/. The chickpea cutlets and gravy are fantastic, and so easy to make. I know to make extras for my non-veg family members!!
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I've been wanting to try it, but since everyone around me is a meat eater, and scoffs at the idea of it...I haven't even tried to buy it as I would be the only one eating it. Am going to give up (as much as I can) meat over the next year. Between carbs and frozen veggies, I can have a good diet sans carne.
  • beautifulswan1
    beautifulswan1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like the deli slices and I had the roast last year for Thanksgiving and will have it again this year. Yep, I like it. :wink:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    One word: vile. I am not a fan of fake meat. There are so many truly delicious veg*n foods out there, why in the world would I eat a poor imitation of a food I find morally questionable? But that's just me, if you like them, well, more for you I guess...
  • alaliberte
    Options
    I like it too! I think the problem most have is that they are expecting turkey. You can't expect turkey! It's not like turkey. But it's good!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and thought it was pretty awful! I've since been using the Thanksgiving recipes from the Post Punk Kitchen: http://www.theppk.com/category/recipe/holiday-thanksgiving/. The chickpea cutlets and gravy are fantastic, and so easy to make. I know to make extras for my non-veg family members!!

I was wondering how those would be, although almost everything on PPK is good. She's my hero.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yup I make one every year for thanksgiving we love it! Have you never had tofurkey slices? Because that is how it tastes. So much better than munching on corpse :)
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste like Turkey, But, I actually love it. I'm not a vegitarian. I go to a vegan thanksgiving on the sunday after thanksgiving every year and I help myself to it with not guilt.
  • Haikugurl
    Haikugurl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the PPK post. Love her stuff. Gonna try some of those recipes.

BTW I make the tofurky roast every year & it's always a hit with my family.