Rowing machines.....a good form of burning calories???

Options
I was recently introduced to the rowing machine. I really like it, as it doesn't put to much pressure on my joints and you can really get a nice breeze going...LOL. I absolutely hate the eliptical ( I only do it for 5 min level 1 and can do no more.) and was wondering if I could get just as good of a workout on the rowing machine instead of the eliptical? I also do the recline bicycle for 10 min on level 3 and try to keep it anywhere from 92-100 and also do the treadmill for 25 min at 3.5 and 3.8 with an incline of 3. This is what I do for Cardio. I also do weights as well alternating days of upper and lower. I usually go 3 times a week but this past week I went 4 times. So your thoughts on the rowing machine???? Thanks!

Replies

• hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    They are brilliant - the only thing I will say is that you need to ensure that you use the machine properly - I watch people on rowing machine yanking with their arms and not using their legs - this will firstly tire you out quicker and secondly this will could cause you to do an injury to your back and shoulders! Please please please please please, use your legs - they are a much bigger muscle than your little arms (in comparison!)

So enjoy - it is a great all round excercise that will tone u from head to toe (it is a completely different type of endurance to the eliptical). Just remember, legs, then back then arms
    :wink:
  • mcjurys
    mcjurys Posts: 19
    Options
    How long do you stay on and what is a good pace? The machine I was on was set on 3 and the monitor read about 499. I was on it for 20 min and burned 140 calories.
    They are brilliant - the only thing I will say is that you need to ensure that you use the machine properly - I watch people on rowing machine yanking with their arms and not using their legs - this will firstly tire you out quicker and secondly this will could cause you to do an injury to your back and shoulders! Please please please please please, use your legs - they are a much bigger muscle than your little arms (in comparison!)

So enjoy - it is a great all round excercise that will tone u from head to toe (it is a completely different type of endurance to the eliptical). Just remember, legs, then back then arms
    :wink:
  • hallswan
    Options
    How long do you stay on and what is a good pace? The machine I was on was set on 3 and the monitor read about 499. I was on it for 20 min and burned 140 calories.

Ok - I am a rower so when I can row (can't at the moment - had an ankle op) - I can stay on for about an hour

When you say the monitor read 499 what is that in relation to - in the UK we have concept 2 rowers -the number that I use is the splits - so on the monitor in front of me it will say something like 2:00 500/metre - what that means is that it takes me 2.00 mins to do 500 metres.

However if I were you, I would concentrate on my heart rate and the number of strokes per minute - do you have a heart rate monitor?? I would suggest you aim for 18-22 strokes per minute - this will build your stamina - if however you are going for an aerobic workout - I would suggest anything around 28-32 strokes per minute. Essentially - at 18, you should be able to talk comfortably - at 32 you should not be able to talk and basically be thinking about your next stroke

Hope this helps
  • mcjurys
    mcjurys Posts: 19
    Options
    Yes, this helps. No there is no heart monitor. I did this machine only once and I thought it was a breeze.....maybe I am not doing something right???

Ok - I am a rower so when I can row (can't at the moment - had an ankle op) - I can stay on for about an hour

When you say the monitor read 499 what is that in relation to - in the UK we have concept 2 rowers -the number that I use is the splits - so on the monitor in front of me it will say something like 2:00 500/metre - what that means is that it takes me 2.00 mins to do 500 metres.

However if I were you, I would concentrate on my heart rate and the number of strokes per minute - do you have a heart rate monitor?? I would suggest you aim for 18-22 strokes per minute - this will build your stamina - if however you are going for an aerobic workout - I would suggest anything around 28-32 strokes per minute. Essentially - at 18, you should be able to talk comfortably - at 32 you should not be able to talk and basically be thinking about your next stroke

Hope this helps
  • hallswan
    Options
    Maybe put the resistance up to 5 - but the important thing is that you enjoy it! :happy: