Tofurkey

Options

Replies

• MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tofurky!!! LOVE!!!! I am not a fan of the deli slices, but the roast is so YUMMY!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Tofu is nasty, in my opinion. The real thing is SO healthy that I can't imagine trying to substitute it for any reason.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It's horribly gross. I used to eat strict vegetarian and I wanted to like it but.... GROSS

IT follows my rule. If vegetarian food is trying to taste like meat IT IS GOING TO SUCK

You can be shaped the same but don't try to taste like meat.

This is why blackbean veggie burgers are yummy and boca burgers that are hamburger flavored SUCK.

The only exception is the "Chick" pattys from Morningstar farms. They actually taste like chicken. What sort of wizardy is this?
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options
    Lol...reminds me of an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond". Marie made it in an effort to eat healthier...and everybody HATED it. It was sooo funny. It looked weird as hell. Good luck with that!! :-)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    We had a tofurkey pizza it was fine.
  • willtry08
    willtry08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If it's the stuffed roast that you're talking about then, yum, it's good. Evn the meat eaters at the table enjoyed it.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My wife and I love it. I should point out, however, that my wife is an excellent cook and we don't just do it right out of the box. She adds and herb rub and then slow cooks it in some orange juice with mushrooms and veggies.

We also like enjoy their pizza, cold cuts, and sausages (although, to be honest, Lightline sausages are a little better).

Years ago their was another turkey substitute called "Now and Zen" which we actually preferred, but they went out of business. Tofurkey is a close second, though.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Tofu is nasty, in my opinion. The real thing is SO healthy that I can't imagine trying to substitute it for any reason.

(1) Tofu is not nasty, perhaps you've never had well-prepared tofu and that is the issue.
    (2) How can a food that grows up in disgustingly filthy conditions, being fed god-knows-what, be considered "SO healthy."
    (3) Perhaps you should consider ethics as a reason--from the treatment of animals to the enviroment. If you don't get this, I'd suggest reading about large-scale industrial farming.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    For me it was a good transition food. It was nice to have something "special" for the holiday after I had given up meat, but eventually I decided it wasn't a good fit. The taste was ok, the texture was highly processed. It reminds me of "cafeteria meat." The gravy that came with it was better, but I still prefer to make my own if I have the time. I ended up almost eliminating all the soy in my diet, but one year for a treat decided to have it... that was a mistake. I was constipated for almost 5 days. Never again.
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    tofurkey_slider.jpg
    HAHAHAHAHA ew
  • Shaolin_Papa
    Options
    I love Tofurky.. :love:

it's one of the better ones...The key is to be prepared...It's NOT meat....It's NOT pasta ....It's NOT bread.....It's DIFFERENT. :wink:
  • Shaolin_Papa
    Options

You've never eaten Tofurky,,,why are you commenting?...One of many good reason is this: Turkeys beaks are cut off with a 400 degree electric knife so a forced-feeding tube can be shoved in their face and down their throat...

It remains there for months, until the day they are killed for Thanksgiving.

....just eat turkey...But don't pretend there's no reason to substitute.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I worked in a Natural Food store and they had this thing called Celebration Loaf it is really good and acceptable for Thanksgiving
  • Treece68
    Options

You've never eaten Tofurky,,,why are you commenting?...One of many good reason is this: Turkeys beaks are cut off with a 400 degree electric knife so a forced-feeding tube can be shoved in their face and down their throat...

It remains there for months, until the day they are killed for Thanksgiving.

....just eat turkey...But don't pretend there's no reason to substitute.

Wow I don't think that is all turkeys man I have been to turkey farms before and it was nothing like that
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I must have made it wrong! My son is a vegetarian and we try to accommodate him. I don't think anyone that has tasted it, my son included, enjoys it.

So, what would a vegetarian prefer for Thanksgiving?
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I worked in a Natural Food store and they had this thing called Celebration Loaf it is really good and acceptable for Thanksgiving

I will look for this! Does Whole Foods carry this?
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I bought one for last thanksgiving, I 'think' I liked it but it looked too much like real meat that it grossed me out... my mom liked it though
  • Treece68
    Options

I will look for this! Does Whole Foods carry this?
    I don't know you could call and ask
  • mcaffreyg
    mcaffreyg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    OHMG I love tofurkey! Its all I've been talking about, so excited for it next week!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love Tofurky.. :love:

it's one of the better ones...The key is to be prepared...It's NOT meat....It's NOT pasta ....It's NOT bread.....It's DIFFERENT. :wink:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it. My boyfriend and I love eating a tofurky each year. We also look forward to the leftover tofurky sandwiches in the days that follow :D

I personally like the texture, though it seems to bother a lot of people. I think the chewiness is a satisfying contrast to the softer sides that tend to grace a thanksgiving table. It doesn't taste anything like tofu and if I were to compare it to a meat (which I don't think is really fair since it's not meat, but for the sake of argument...) I find it to be more similar to a ham than a turkey.

Tofurky is so hit or miss that I think you'd be wise to have a backup plan just in case. You never know until you taste it :)