Alternatives to Holiday Cocktails?

Options
Christmas party season is quickly approaching, and if there's one thing that I'm dreading more than limiting my sweet treats and eating sensibly, it's being the girl at the holiday party dying for a drink but sticking to water because I'm trying to be smart with my calories. Going virgin on the cocktails doesn't seem like a significant concession, since those fruit juices are so high is sugar! Does anyone have a little holiday cheat - something that looks and feels like a fancy party drink, but is diet friendly? I'd love to hear some suggestions!

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Soda water with a splash of cranberry. No one would know there's no vodka in it. :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Soda water with a splash of cranberry. No one would know there's no vodka in it. :)

That with a squeeze of lime is a tasty drink in its own right, even without the vodka!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Pimms & diet lemonade is my alcohol go-to. A measure of Pimms is 40 cals, 3cals for the lemonade and I don't count the strawberries etc they may shove in there as I don't eat them they're just for flavour.
  • BlackCat1383
    Options

That sounds like a great idea. You could probably also float a little pomegranate or something similar in it to really dress it up!
  • lynns27
    Options
    I feel your pain!

Try either hosting a party or bringing your own alcohol to a few of them, and try making these low-cal cocktails, that way you can have the best of both worlds! This is my plan.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthy-Low-Calorie-Holiday-Cocktails-20443867?slide=5

Alternately, it sucks to have to miss out on things like that, and you don't have to if you budget your calories earlier in the day. If you're going to a party where you won't be able to control calories, leave 500 calories or so for drinks and then stick to 2 drinks, which hopefully won't come in at more than 250 cals each. Remember that a rule of thumb is 1 shot = 100 calories (possibly more for sugary liqueurs) and ask to pour your own. You can cut calories by exercising, skipping a meal, or eating cereal for lunch! Trust me, I did this for Halloween a few nights and it's not as hard as it sounds if you've got fun drinks as motivation! (: Just don't go crazy once you've had a few drinks and raid the cookie tray.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yeah... You have fun with that. I'll be spending my holiday with one of these :glasses:

4060_120408_candycane_xl.jpg
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    But also... Because i think you SHOULD drink something :P

Rain's Cranberry Fizzer-
    Ice
    Nice Glass
    1 oz. Vodka (73 calories)
    Sprite Zero
    Splash of Cranberry (roughly15 calories)
    Drink= 88 calories

Rain's Sour Fizzer-
    Ice
    Nice Glass
    Sprite Zero
    Splash of Lime Juice
    1/2 oz. Dekuyper Apple Pucker (30 calories)
    Drink= 103 calories

Rain's Holiday Drink-
    Ice
    Nice Glass
    Sprite Zero
    Splash of Lime Juice
    1/2 oz. Dekuyper Apple Pucker (30 calories)
    Splash of Cranberry (roughly15 calories)
    Drink= 118 calories
    Word of advice pour the vodka, the sprite, the pucker, and then the cranberry. It will look green on the bottom and red on the top.

And there's the classic-
    RUM AND DIET COKE! :)
    1 oz. rum (97 calories)
    Diet coke
    Ice Nice Glass
    Drink = 97 calories
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Pellegrino and Cranberry is my cocktail of choice.