Too much water?

Options
I was recently told that I was drinking too much water. I'm supposed to drink 1/2 my body weight in oz, so 102 oz of water daily. I went over that by about 8 oz and was told that was too much water for one day????? MFP recommends 8 oz daily. Has anybody ever been told they are drinking too much water?

Replies

• carleemaeb
    Options
    I too have heard that you are supposed to drink half your body weight in oz. I also know that there is a such thing as drinking too much water in a day. I think that as long as you're not gulping 102 oz of water at a time, you'll be ok. The more water you drink, the more your body craves it. KUDOS to you for drinkin' all that water!!! It's not easy, at all...
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I drink approx 128 oz and have survived so far!
  • Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options
    If anyone drinks too much water, it's me...but it's not really about how much water you drink over the course of a day as long as it's spread out. You can get water intoxication (so I've read) if you drink too much water at one time, but I've never heard of it actually happening to anyone. That being said, 102oz of water a day is certainly not necessary IMHO. That being said, I drink more than 100oz every single day and I feel great! (I weigh 195lbs) Just make sure you're spreading it out through your day...I start by drinking a 16oz bottle as soon as I wake up and another on my way to work. The rest of the day is spent refilling my bottle.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Who told you that and how did they base that information? If it's based on lab results do you follow a low sodium diet?
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Um.... I'd float away if I drank that much. I drink when I'm thirsty and try to stay well hydrated. Don't get so hooked up on what someone says I should drink. Listen to your body... if you're blacking out and your eyeballs are floating, then yes, you're drinking too much.. if not, then you're fine
  • jhlvhorses
    jhlvhorses Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just read your post... My trainer/ nutrition coach is having me drink 200 oz of water a day!! He said that you can't drink too much water... I just get tired of having to go to the bathroom ALL the time...
    Good Luck on your weight loss journey
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you haven't died yet you are fine. You are alive right?

The issue with drinking a lot of water is it creates electrolyte imbalances and disrupts neural functions. That kills you. Symptoms would include severe bloating and massive headaches followed by death.

If you drink 2% salt water, you can drink to your hearts content theoretically.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I just read your post... My trainer/ nutrition coach is having me drink 200 oz of water a day!! He said that you can't drink too much water... I just get tired of having to go to the bathroom ALL the time...
    Good Luck on your weight loss journey

Um... actually you can drink too much water... it's called water intoxication and it can be fatal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

But you'd have to drink a hell of a lotta water to have that happen
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There was an episode of 1001 ways to die that showed a girl die from too much water, something abut her brain swelling. But I don't think you are risk of that if it's spread out over the whole day. You would probably not have to worry until you drink twice what you drink daily, but fit it into a 60 minute period. Also, not really sure if that show is based on any kind of reality, so maybe just ignore this altogether.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If anyone drinks too much water, it's me...but it's not really about how much water you drink over the course of a day as long as it's spread out. You can get water intoxication (so I've read) if you drink too much water at one time, but I've never heard of it actually happening to anyone. That being said, 102oz of water a day is certainly not necessary IMHO. That being said, I drink more than 100oz every single day and I feel great! (I weigh 195lbs) Just make sure you're spreading it out through your day...I start by drinking a 16oz bottle as soon as I wake up and another on my way to work. The rest of the day is spent refilling my bottle.

^^^This. It's not about how much you drink but how fast you drink it! As long as it is over a period of time to allow your kidneys to filter it, you are fine. Water Intoxication is very uncommon so you are fine.
  • NickLavato
    Options
    I was recently told that I was drinking too much water. I'm supposed to drink 1/2 my body weight in oz, so 102 oz of water daily. I went over that by about 8 oz and was told that was too much water for one day????? MFP recommends 8 oz daily. Has anybody ever been told they are drinking too much water?

MFP recommends 8 cups a day. Not 8 oz :) 8x8=64 oz a day
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever gotten over 10 cups (80 ounces).
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Um... actually you can drink too much water... it's called water intoxication and it can be fatal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

But you'd have to drink a hell of a lotta water to have that happen
    [/quote]
    ^^^^This was suppose to be a quote for someone. I don't know what happened to the box.

You actually don't have to drink a lot of water for it to happen!

"During January 2000, a 20-year-old trainee in the Army drank around 12 quarts, or 3 gallons, of water during a 2- to 4-hour period while trying to produce a urine specimen for a drug test. She experienced fecal incontinence, lost consciousness, became confused, and died from swelling in the brain and lungs as a result of low blood sodium..."
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You actually don't have to drink a lot of water for it to happen!

"During January 2000, a 20-year-old trainee in the Army drank around 12 quarts, or 3 gallons, of water during a 2- to 4-hour period while trying to produce a urine specimen for a drug test. She experienced fecal incontinence, lost consciousness, became confused, and died from swelling in the brain and lungs as a result of low blood sodium..."

Ummm, 3 gallons, or 384 oz, within 2-4 hours is A LOT of water.

And, I've been drinking over 100 oz of water daily (probably closer to 150 oz since I usually stop counting after work) since 2008 and I'm still here.
  • desiree7hanson
    desiree7hanson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    my dietician says not everyone needs that much water. She said as long as my urine is pale yellow, I'm fine. I probably only drink 32 -40 oz water a day, the rest of the time I drink diet soda and tea and I seem to be okay. But I'm also not working out right now.
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 8 CUPS of water per day, a cup equals to 8 oz so...8 x 8 = 64 oz :D
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh that's silly.

Go with the urine test! Light yellow is what you want to aim for. If it's clear you can lay off. Your body will let you know if you're doing something wrong.
  • bcdg24
    bcdg24 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I have two smartwater bottles, one is 50 ounces, and the other is 33. I drink each one and refill it twice throughout the day, so I am probably drinking 160-250 ounces _per day_. This varies depending on whether I am at work or at home (we have culligan water at work, tap water at home), whether I'm doing a workout that day (obviously I drink more if I'm working out), and whether I've had a lot of sodium that day (I am NOT on a low-sodium diet; I eat cheeseburgers and pizza occasionally if I want to).

I find I need this much water to stay, er, regular and it reduces breakouts and eczema flare-ups. When I don't drink enough I can feel it. Hope this info helps you!
  • bcdg24
    bcdg24 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    oh and my urine is always a light yellow color, never pure/clear.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body- it tells you when you are thirsty. Also when you are hungry- drink some water- often our bodies misinterpret thirst for water. Most never get too much water in- I drink 12-18 servings a day- have a huge 35 oz water bottle that goes with me everywhere- even to the grocery store.

The only time I have ever heard of drinking too much water is if you are drowning- so I think you'll be ok!! :happy: