Random: Crafty Gifts?

Options
124»

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    OH, I've kinda become know for these theme clocks. One year I took a crappy $4 clock from Walmart, took it apart, painted a penguin in the middle and glued fins to the hands. Then I made one with a worm on a fish hook and a fish. I get the white clocks and spray paint them to match the theme. I actually have to make a couple more for people that keep asking me to do them in the next week or two.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I make soap.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to the thread - some great ideas and creative minds here, as expected. :wink:

Will have to look back through the thread again later, but for now, work calls.... Thanks again :heart:
  • shiraLA
    shiraLA Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my Pinterest obsession!

Draw on wax paper with permanent markers, wrap around candle and heat until image is transferred.
    245094404691826170_SqFY1rnt_c.jpg

Donuts and milk
    429601251924178198_omOmZpGJ_c.jpg

Elmer's glue then paint one color overtop.
    273101164873727935_27O77tc2_c.jpg

There are more...there are always more!!! lol

I could spend all day on the DIY and crafts category on interest!! Love, love, love!!!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone I have enough stuff. So I usually get beer and hot sauce. But I love when I get pickles and home made consumables.

I give out oil changes and brake changes. ( I specify warm weather) Not really crafty.

One year my brother and I created a CD of Christmas music we called "Crash and Burn Christmas Album" where we performed some serious and some less than serious Christmas songs. (Randolf the two gun cowboy being among the less than serious)
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Here's another that I plan on making this year. It's a candy/serving dish made out of starlight mints!

All you need is starlight/peppermint candies of your color choice, and parchment paper.

Just line up the candies in whatever pattern and shape of your choosing on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Separate them just a tad, so there's room to melt.

Bake it in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for about 7-10 minutes. Remove and set it on a wire baking rack to cool for a few minutes.

I am totally stealing this!!!! Thank you all for some great ideas!

24980972903320986_k7uSNWhT_c.jpg
  • Grmacereal
    Options
    I'm knitting again this year.
  • My boyfriend and I make some really easy chocolate fudge and load it with nuts, or peanut butter, or pretzels, or...other kinds of chocolate and then hit up the dollar store for some cool boxes and tins to put it in. Saves us more money than switching to Geico on Christmas gifts for his extended family.

This year, I'm thinking I'm gonna make chocolate-nut and chocolate-mint bark or gourmet popcorn for his sister and his dad.

Oh! And I make cookie cups with my muffin tin. They make pretty good gifts too, especially to people with kids.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bump... one year I made ornament hangers out of 22ga craft wire in a "S" shape and glued glass beads as accents. gave everyone a set of 48 in a special case I also made.
    I was so proud to make these and give them.

I will find a picture or if not take one of the set I made myself (very similar to this design but not exactly)

ornamenthooks.jpg
  • erika613
    erika613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do crafty gifts for my co-workers. And I usually make and extra one or two to take to white elephant parties. For some reason, I usually pick something that also requires me to learn a skill. Not intentionally, it just works out that way.

I've done:

*cookies in a jar using my favorite cookie mix-ins -- dried blueberries and white chocolate. It was a different flavor than the norm.
    *brownies in a jar
    *soup mix in a jar -- although those don't look as pretty because the contents settle.
    *corn bags - the best site for that I've seen is off line now, but the link to it at the internet archive is below. It covers a lot of do's and don'ts and has good step by step.
    *this year I canned homemade pasta sauce using (mostly) my own tomatoes. Was more work than I thought so I didn't make as many gifts as normal

http://web.archive.org/web/20101029073331/http://diamondthreadworks.com/microwave_heating_bags.htm
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm planning on doing handmade/crafty gifts for the first time this year too (for the adults). Not sure about kids other than my son, who is the only one who is almost done.

Thanks to my Pinterest obsession!

Draw on wax paper with permanent markers, wrap around candle and heat until image is transferred.

Donuts and milk

Elmer's glue then paint one color overtop.

There are more...there are always more!!! lol
    Love these^^

Also love the candle idea.

I plan on doing spa baskets for the ladies this year with homemade sugar scrubs (there's a candy cane one and plenty more on pinterest),body butters, candles and maybe even making eye masks. The guys edible stuff like cinnamon almonds (the kind you can smell all through the mall during the holiday season), praline sauce and some other things. Pinterest really is amazing for this. Anyone feel free to follow me http://pinterest.com/cbaacke

If anyone needs a cute cheap gift container check this out. Folger's provides free holiday labels for their coffee containers!

product_placeholder.jpg

Cute right? Make them here: http://www.folgers.com/holiday/canister/index.aspx
  • browneyedgirl7928
    browneyedgirl7928 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of different things with cheap picture frames. Dazzle them up with scrapbook paper, glitter, and pretty much anything and then if it's for a friend I find a good photo of us that we have together and stick that in there or if they have kids, I go to Walgreens and do a photo collage of the kiddos and stick that in there. It's a good gift for Christmas, birthdays, housewarming,, etc.

Last year for Christmas I was really poor because I just started a new job in October, but didn't start paying until January so I took some less then a $1 picture frames I got at Walmart, used leftover scrapbook paper in my craft drawer and cut it down to size. Put it in the frame, added a small piece of velcro to the frame and to a dry erase marker and wrote Merry Christmas, Love Kristi on it. Everyone LOVED them! Maybe cost me $2 to make if that.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love making gifts, knitting and sewing are my areas so knitted clothing for babies, scarves hats and gloves for grown ups. I made a handbag for my friend, apron for MIL, knitted a shawl for gran, kindle sleeve for hubby and ipad sleeve for brother.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I hand make cards every year. Like the kind that cost $10 at the card store.

Never once has anybody said "wow, what a beautiful card" (I even stamp the back of the cards with a personalized stamp that says: Handmade by:_____)

I have also made baby blankets, bracelets, jewelry, and other food items, but people never seem to appreciate them.

Sometimes I think i should stop and just hand them a gift card.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm knitting for my mom and grandma. I have to love you an awful lot to knit you something that takes serious time/effort. My husband's cousin asked if I'd knit him a Jayne hat from Firefly but I don't like him enough.

Last year I did baskets with homemade caramel apple jam, hot chocolate mix, marshmallows and knit xmas washcloths. The jam was quite tasty and came from The Simple Dollar blog. There are some good ideas on there for homemade gifts. http://www.thesimpledollar.com/category/homemade-gifts/

This year I found a recipe for salted caramel hot chocolate mix I was thinking of trying. http://penniesonaplatter.com/2011/12/22/salted-caramel-hot-chocolate-mix/ I'm not really sure if I wanna do baskets again. Was a lot of work. They did turn out cute though.

xmasbasket.jpg
  • apanda4
    apanda4 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I love giving crafty gifts - I mainly do handmade jewellery and accesories. Like Necklaces, earrings, bracelets, bookmarks, suncatchers, etc.

I have a facebook page - Taurus Jewels